Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 03:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 17:03 
Administrator

Any posts that advertise for specific other VAs in any way will be deleted. Now is not the appropriate time. If you wish to depart now, you certainly may, but please be respectful and do not drag others with you.

We will likely post a list of possible VAs as closing nears.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 23:14 
Pilot

Im speechless..........but I think that closing Simairline.net is not the way out, Its completly normal that Aaron cant take anymore work,simairline has become a big sim airline and with that the work gets bigger.....but I think that the way out is to delegate........a big company cant be run by only one person......Ive been reading all the messeges about everyone that dosent want to close simairline but just a few of them realy helps out......its time to come together and help with the day to day stuff so can Aaron can have a normal life and I dont know once or twice a week checks on us..........that way he can run things and also have a life and do all the thigs that he whant to do.....because we all love simairline.net........lets give Aaron some options....and lets make this 6 months a transition not a closure........think about it guys....and spaecialy Aaron......

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 01:50 
Management/Moderator

accguate wrote:
Im speechless..........but I think that closing Simairline.net is not the way out, Its completly normal that Aaron cant take anymore work,simairline has become a big sim airline and with that the work gets bigger.....but I think that the way out is to delegate........a big company cant be run by only one person......Ive been reading all the messeges about everyone that dosent want to close simairline but just a few of them realy helps out......its time to come together and help with the day to day stuff so can Aaron can have a normal life and I dont know once or twice a week checks on us..........that way he can run things and also have a life and do all the thigs that he whant to do.....because we all love simairline.net........lets give Aaron some options....and lets make this 6 months a transition not a closure........think about it guys....and spaecialy Aaron......

In an ideal world, there'd be someone else who could jump on the saddle and keep going. But, the fact is there isn't anyone like that. Most of us management are still in school or have busy jobs. Besides, as Aaron said, SimAirline.net's best days are over. Most of our senior management members have left, we haven't expanded for two years because of this and it doesn';t look like it'll improve if we keep going. If we were to keep SimAirline.net open, the quality would drop and the management would be inexperienced. As sad as it may seem, SimAirline.net will never be the same without Aaron at the helm.

Post subject: Re: SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010..look at it this way.
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 02:50 
Pilot

I graduated H.S, in 1974,and our reunions have been every 5 years.There always a select group(6-10) people who run it.I was a big part of the 10th,15th,20th,25th,30th & 35th...But it would be run better if there were a group of 20....

Like SimAirline.28 airlines...but say find a group of 40 people willing to help make it all work,rather than most of them just sitting around,letting someone else do the work....

Understand?????

Look at Chrysler. Things were going downhill in the 80's..Lee Iacooca took over,brought Chrysler
back to dominance..Now how would it be IF,say,the President of Ford,Chevy,Boeing,or GE said:

It's too much for me.I 'm gonna close the doors,and i dont want anyone to run the company....
Just imagine that.......

Now,how hard can it be for 1 person to process the PIREPS for 1 airline(like Northwest,Delta,etc)????

I'd be more than willing to deal with PIREPS for Northwest & Delta..I have the time,as i only work 10am-4pm..

I'm sorry Aaron,after thinking about it all,sounds like the Ostrich with his head in the sand....
Now,what if a group of people are willing to deal with each airline,and at least give it a go???

How can u say no...???????????????????

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 02:53 

If SimAirline were a business, and Aaron's position was a paid position, I would be able to do it. However, short of being able to put in 40+ hours a week, I really doubt anyone, or any group of people, would be able to provide the quality of management that Aaron has been able to provide over the years. Aaron knows SimAirline inside out, and upside down. While I consider myself to be familiar with most of its operations, Aaron is still far more familiar, and I am certain that goes for everyone else here as well.

The big problem is that anyone who takes over the management of SimAirline would most likely have to give up flying in order to do a good job of it. There aren't many people who would rather run a VA than fly for one.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 03:21 
Administrator

Thank you all to everyone who understands and supports my decision.

For those that do not, I must ask: we have for years asked for management help. Where have the volunteers been the last few years? If we had more individuals dedicated to helping and sharing their talents like our current management team has done, then we could find a way to keep SimAirline.net running. But this is a case of 'too little too late,' I'm afraid. Thank you for stepping forward now, but I'm afraid that people like you should have been doing so before.

There is no one individual at fault except myself for overextending our reach and eventually creating the management shortage and extensive time requirements that we face today. You may call this a selfish decision if you wish, but in the end I am trying to do what is best not just for me, but for all our members as well.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

Post subject: Re: SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010...What about if
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:01 
Pilot

WE pare down the company to the following Airlines:

Air Canada
Alitalia
KLM
Korean Air
British Airways
Continental
Delta
Northwest
Pan Am
Swissair
and Virgin.....

11 airlines...still enough to make a difference....

and i'm still willing to handle Northwest & Delta...

My feelings are that i have 2 choices:

#1.....grab your chute and jump

or

#2 go down,full throttle

better to try than have not

Post subject: Re: SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010...I'm Curious...
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:02 
Pilot

I'm willing to contribute to the survival of SimAirline.net

Anybody else?????????????????????????

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:30 
Management/Moderator

737captain wrote:

SimAirline.net is to close at the end of April 2010. No one will be replace Aaron. If someone was to replace Aaron (hypothetically speaking) it would be at least one very senior member of management. End of story.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:34 
Pilot

Funny how people never stepped up to become a part of management until Aaron announces SimAirline.net's demise... :|

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:36 

These are feelings of nostalgia. You want it kept intact because you love it, and will dedicate yourself to help keep it open. But a sustained effort of keeping it operating won't be possible in the long run, once the feeling of desperation have dissolved.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:46 
Pilot

NWADC9 wrote:
Funny how people never stepped up to become a part of management until Aaron announces SimAirline.net's demise... :|

I would have but I was never informed of it. :( But to I am too late. But when it does go down... We're going down in class, not some lazy unwanted website but an amazing one with some amazing people. :D

*What touchdown zone?*
Huge thanks to Fraser for the banner
Youtube, Flight simulations, Facebook

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 05:06 
Pilot

737captain wrote:

You seem to have good ideas on running a virtual airline. However SimAirline.net is ovbiously out of the question. Have you considered making your own virtual airline rather than leeching off and adopting what Aaron and the management team has been working on for 10 years?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 08:03 
Pilot

NWADC9 wrote:

I've sended an application for assistant VA manager 3 weeks before this news came.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 13:26 
Management/Moderator

maverick10 wrote:
I've sended an application for assistant VA manager 3 weeks before this news came.

Funny, we've been discussing this for about three weeks now, before Aaron posted his decision here this week. The fact is that it's like Aaron said: a little too late.

We've been asking people to join the management team. Either they don't make it or call it quits too early. How are we supposed to continue running when it is our perspective that no one wants to step up? Now that we are to close, now everyone wants to volunteer? OK, fine. Say we change our minds and decide to remain open. How long are you willing to remain on the team IF you make it?

We can't be greedy. Just accept reality. The most important thing is that this is simply a hobby. It's not intended to be a job (heck, no one's paying Aaron for this). We're volunteers and we also have lives. When something that's for fun turns out to be a bigger workload than work, it means that things are not going too well. We're sorry guys, but rather than degrade this site, we think it's best to simply let her go.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 15:34 
Pilot

Although I am new to SimAirline, I have a lot of fun and admire a lot the huge and hard work to keep a so complex VA. I really enjoy the system that we can choose so many airliners to fly, free route and aircraft, realistic schedule, vintage airliners, friendly forums and so on.
I am also very sad with the news, however I understand how many hours of hard work needs to keep a so big VA like this one.
Anyway, it´s hard to understand after so many work , in April 2010, it will be said, "that´s all guys"...I confess I have a little hope (don´t know if my English is correct) that SimAirline could be continue in a more viable and easy way of management...
If don´t...thank you very much with so much fun. It will be very hard to find a VA like this one!

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 18:23 
Pilot

Ya youre right...its only a game...
There are other things more important...
Theres always Railfanning......Yup

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 18:25 
Pilot

Dennis wrote:
maverick10 wrote:

Funny, we've been discussing this for about three weeks now, before Aaron posted his decision here this week. The fact is that it's like Aaron said: a little too late.

We've been asking people to join the management team. Either they don't make it or call it quits too early. How are we supposed to continue running when it is our perspective that no one wants to step up? Now that we are to close, now everyone wants to volunteer? OK, fine. Say we change our minds and decide to remain open. How long are you willing to remain on the team IF you make it?

We can't be greedy. Just accept reality. The most important thing is that this is simply a hobby. It's not intended to be a job (heck, no one's paying Aaron for this). We're volunteers and we also have lives. When something that's for fun turns out to be a bigger workload than work, it means that things are not going too well. We're sorry guys, but rather than degrade this site, we think it's best to simply let her go.

Since I came here, i have been working to be a manager, if you are new in the VA world, it's hard to have more then 100 flight hours, 20 flights, experience on the message boards etc. It needs some time. So it's not that I want to be a manager only because simairline.net closes.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 20:59 
Management/Moderator

Don't take it personally. I'm just addressing those that want to become managers now. It's a welcome sight to see how people suddenly want to volunteer. But the keyword there is in bold. Why now? Do we have to go to these extremes to get people involved? Again, your gesture is more than welcome and we understand that you're new and we can't expect for you to log over 100 hours but these comments are directed more towards those that we here before you, who have more than enough to qualify for the Assistant VA manager but still haven't made the move.

737captain wrote:
Ya youre right...its only a game...
There are other things more important...
Theres always Railfanning......Yup

Pardon my observation but it seems this comment is a little sarcastic. So, in other words, if you're an American Airlines fan and they suddenly cease to exist, you won't fly with ANY airline anymore because American folded? There are more airlines out there.

The same thing happens with VA. There are plenty more VA out there. The fact that one community is closing down doesn't mean that it's the end of flight simulation. You don't need someone to process PIREPs. Heck, I have my own logbook. I don't fly SimAirline.net flights only. I file the flights I can file here. The rest are just added to my logbook. When SimAirline.net ceases to process PIREPs, I'll continue flying. I just don't have to send a PIREP to be processed. It's a hobby, do it the way you want.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 21:49 
Pilot

Thanks for understanding Dennis. Do you use a program or something for your own logbook?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next