Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 20:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SimAirline.net to Close in April 2010
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 22:33 
Pilot

I feel some people may not get Aaron's reason. I am very sad about this but things come and go. It's not a matter of money or of lack of activity, it's just became too time consuming and he has a very busy life outside of simairline. Why should we try to revive something only fall short? Honestly, 10 years for a virtual airline is a very long time and am happy that I could be a part of it.

-Rich

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 22:47 
Management/Moderator

maverick10 wrote:
Thanks for understanding Dennis. Do you use a program or something for your own logbook?

In addition to a pen and paper (more like a notebook), I use Excel. No time function (like to measure how long the flights were, though this surely comes in handy), just log in the date, the airline, flight #, scheduled departure and arrival time, actual departure and arrival time, and the equipment used. In the notebook, however, I have a little check box to make sure that flight was filed in a PIREP and/or written in Excel.

If you want a screenshot of how it looks I can PM it to you. :)

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 00:56 

I used to have an excel spreadsheet I used to log flights, but lost it in a HD crash a couple years ago. I never bothered to recreate it after that. :( Creating a log book from a spreadsheet is a fairly simple process, and can be very flexible, as well as powerful.

I had considered applying to be an assistant VA manager several times, but I know myself well enough to know that after 6-12 months, I would have let my responsibilities slide so that I could fly more. It takes dedication not just at the beginning, but over the long term as well, and that is where the problem lies. We have had VA managers come and go throughout the years I have been a member here, and of the ones that left most did so because they had other things come up that took precedence over spending the necessary time managing a VA. It doesn't seem like much, but if you look closely most of our managers' flying time has decreased, sometimes significantly, after they became managers. I don't even remember the last time I saw Aaron log a flight.

I would love to see SimAirline continue indefinitely, but if we are honest with ourselves, most of us are here to fly, not to manage a VA. Sure we might be able to do a great job for a while, but after a year or two we would find ourselves back in this exact same situation again. Honestly, I have been amazed that Aaron has kept us going as long as he has.

This has been the best flight sim community I have found since I started seriously simming so many years ago, and I will hate to see it close the hangar. However, there are a few song lyrics that come to mind. Def Leppard's Rock of Ages starts with the line "It's better to burn out, than fade away." That sums up my feelings very well. I would much rather have SimAirline continue on as it has been until reaching a definite end, instead of gradually slipping away into obscurity. The other song is Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory, which may not be entirely appropriate, but still fits my feelings for SimAirline fairly well.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 01:12 
Management/Moderator

If you've noticed, I'm no longer in the roster. I haven't been able to file a flight in weeks. Not only that, I barely have time for SimAirline.net. This is me, imagine how the rest of the management team must be.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 02:25 
Pilot

Dear Dennis...my comment wasnt sarcastic...
In addition to flying for 3 VA's (which i wont mention),i'm also a railfan...

Do u know what that is SIR??????

I love railroading & diesel locomotives...
Dont get me wrong,but yes...VA flying is fun,but for me(my opinion)watching a quartet of SD40-2 charging up Cajon Pass or along the BNSF mainline in Montana stirs my soul so deep...

(just wish i had the time to do all i want)

If i knew of Simairline.net in 2002,i'd be one of its top pilots,and perhaps one of Aaron's managers....

Dennis,i wasnt being sarcastic.My wife has been jobless since April,we have no health insurance,and i'm a heart patient.....Thank god i can fly Virtually or id go nuts...

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 02:53 
Pilot

Gee, I just got my great banner!!! :laugh: :laugh: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 03:19 
Management/Moderator

737captain wrote:
Dear Dennis...my comment wasnt sarcastic...
In addition to flying for 3 VA's (which i wont mention),i'm also a railfan...

Which is why I posted that you pardon my observation. It seemed like it was sarcastic. I apologize. Had I known you were a railfan (before the comment), maybe I wouldn't have posted it. :|

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 13:55 
Pilot

This is my response in the comments section of Viewpoint:

Quote:
Aaron (and Management),

This news is very saddening to me, but I do fully understand your position and the decision you have made. I'm sure that this was not an easy decision to make and also very hard to actually let go of something so great; pouring so much time and passion into it!

Thanks for a great Airline Group!!!! I've had so much fun and joy during the 3 years of my membership here and regret that we all would have to go and look for another VA. I'm sure it will be difficult to find anything as fantastic as this!

May the Lord bless you in your future endeavors and all your dreams and goals come true!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 14:07 
Management/Moderator

In response to the personal logbooks, it is very easy to make a simple Excel spreadsheet set up in a style similar to the one on the roster system. You can work out flight durations manually, and I have added some functions that provide additional information (number of flights flown with a specific airline / aircraft, average flight durations, most popular route etc.).

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 19:46 
Pilot

Well we made the news at Flightsim.com! Not for something I wanted to see, I wish it was because SimAirline is a great place and we have great members!!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 20:57 
Pilot

Well, Flightsim.com is right, the CEO is moving on, Management positions just weren't getting filled. I have had fun here over the 2 months, got quite a few hrs racked up here as well. Many people here have helped me out with tech probs, for that I'm thankful. I will continue to fly all all the way to the end. Hopefully, someone will come up with an idea or 2, never know :?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 22:25 
Pilot

More than likely,i'll just fly on my own for Northwest.I really dont care about Delta ,but thats my opinion.I'd go back to around 1960 through 2000.Fulfill my desire to fly the L-188 Electra,the DC9-31's & Convair 580's of North Central....

Make a professional looking logbook and keep track of all my flights...

Each of us is unique.We all can do what we want,even start our own Virtual Airline.
In 2005,i had a website made up for my business.Cost me $250.00 to develop it,and costs me $90.00 a year to maintain it,and make changes as i need to...

But flying for yourself is fine.No minimum flights,restrictions,etc.Besides,way too many VA's that operate with VATSIM only(and i dont care for VATSIM).

In the mean time,i'm going to try and make up a thick logbook like what Aaron has done,and fly my a@@ off....

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 08:59 
Pilot

737captain wrote:
Besides,way too many VA's that operate with VATSIM only(and i dont care for VATSIM).

and
Aaron Robinson wrote:
Any posts that advertise for specific other VAs in any way will be deleted....

We will likely post a list of possible VAs as closing nears.

In particular, would I appreciate specific mention, in the possibility list of VAs, whom do NOT require online flying, because I only have internet access during work hours, at my office; not at home.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 12:19 
Management/Moderator

Pierre, a list and links of VA will be allowed as April draws near. In the meantime, if you'd like a list then it must be through PM.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 13:04 
Pilot

Dennis wrote:
Pierre, a list and links of VA will be allowed as April draws near. In the meantime, if you'd like a list then it must be through PM.

Thanks Dennis. I assumed so. I just thought I'd mention it so long.

NOT that I'm eager to go and look for a new VA at all anyway!!

:cry: :cry:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 13:57 
Administrator

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14872
Aaron Robinson wrote:
A few months ago one of my (then-)co-ops at work told me about how excited he was to fly on a Northwest aircraft in Delta livery--his first time on a Delta plane, he said. My reply was that it shouldn't matter--"It's what's on the inside the counts," I said. I think the same thing is true with Midwest the last few years--Republic's moves may have saved the brand, but they are not preserving the character and soul of the airline. I hope that Frontier, which has a similar positive character, will not disappear.
I believe my comments apply equally well to ideas floated to keep SimAirline.net alive in some form without the same leadership of the present management team. I don't feel tthere is a full understanding of the implications of that request.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 22:40 
Pilot

I am deeply saddened by this announcement, and yet, I understand where Aaron is coming from in this decision.

This site will be deeply missed by many

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 11:22 
Pilot

Aaron,

Thanks for all of the hard work you have put into this airline.
This pilot appreciates it.

All the best as you move in a different direction in your life.

Todd

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 14:37 
Pilot

will the Message Boards stay active after April?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 17:20 

In some form, yes. Maybe not here, but we hope to keep our message board community together if we can, and will be working on it in the coming months,.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next