Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - August 2006 Message from Aaron Feedback

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 15:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: August 2006 Message from Aaron Feedback
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 01:47 
Administrator

Please post your feedback to this month's Message from Aaron here.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 04:20 
Pilot

It's really nice with the routmaps to be able to plan a series of flights through different cities. I can't wait until the rest are completed.

I am sorry to hear about Era moving out of Bethel. I would have to say that those flights were the most fun to fly because they offered a different experience going from one dirt strip to another, especially the 5 minute flight from Kongiganak to Kwigillingok which was always fun. I'll have to go out and make some final flights while I still can.

This is my first post on the forums, but I have been a pilot here for several years, and I just wanted to say that I think you all are doing a wonderful job and hope to keep flying here in the years to come. Keep up the good work.

Post subject: Rejected Pireps
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 20:50 
Pilot

Rejected Pireps Pisses me off! And not knowing why it was rejected turns my ass cherry red. Because I spend my time seting up and making the flight with proper aircraft that the timetable tells me to use. I takeoff and land at the proper times. I sometimes make a mistake and type somethings in wrong on the pireps and I have no problem fixing them.

Aaron, You have to start giving me a reason why you reject my pireps. If you have a problem with this request, Then I have a problem and will affect my status with Simairline.net.

Be Cool 8)

#75 Navy Chevy Cup Car! Go Navy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 22:06 
Administrator

If the reason isn't included, please let me know and I'll explain. The reason should always be inclued when a PIREP is returned. If it's not, then there is some kind of a problem with the creation of the email that gets sent to you. If you can communicate with me about the problem instead of making threats, then we can work together to solve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2006, 01:00 
Pilot

I think that everything is going great! Im happy with all the new changes that Simairline.net made over the past and all the airlines that are now and ones that are going to be added are great too.

Great work Aaron! Keep it up :)

Lee
Pilot #421

Post subject: Frontier?
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006, 22:34 
Pilot

So I have been inactive for quite some time and I was looking at the new airlines for this year and was wondering why on earth we are getting Frontier? I mean we already have a very extensive network within the United States, with Alaska, Continental, Delta, and Midwest it seems like a waste of time to add another US based airline*. I personally feel like the time and effort could be used to include an airline that is in an area less served. My personal choice would be El Al because it does not fly to the surrounding countries (with the exception of Turkey, Cyprus, Jordan and Egypt) and therefor does not compete with Emirates.

I'm not trying to suggest a new airline but in light of the fact that we are going to freeze our operations at a set number of airlines it almost seems silly to have five airlines that are based in the same country (six once Virgin America initiates service).

* due to Hawaiian's notable differences I havent inclued it in this statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006, 22:44 
Pilot

Quote:
I mean we already have a very extensive network within the United States, with Alaska, Continental, Delta, and Midwest it seems like a waste of time to add another US based airline*

And Northwest

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006, 23:54 
Administrator

Some excellent questions. Here are my replies:
Quote:
why on earth we are getting Frontier?

Frontier was selected to boost our service in the Western U.S. To illustrate this weakness, here's a breakdown of our major domestic U.S. hubs, by time zone:
-Eastern: Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Newark, Raleigh/Durham
-Central: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Mountain: Salt Lake City
-Pacific: Seattle/Tacoma

To support your case, we do have designated secondary hubs in Billings, Los Angeles, Portland, and San Francisco (future), but it's apparent that our domestic service in the western half of the country is weak compared to the eastern.

Second, there have been concerns by numerous pilots that we are not an LCC-friendly organization. I disagree with this notion, offering the following examples: Air Berlin, Air Canada, Icelandair, Jet Airways, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Blue, Virgin Express. LCC proponents still pointed out that that leaves only Virgin America, which hasn't even begun operations, for the U.S., where LCCs carry over 30% of the capacity.

Quote:
it seems like a waste of time to add another US based airline*. I personally feel like the time and effort could be used to include an airline that is in an area less served.

We have tried very hard over the last few years to avoid becoming a Amerocentric organization. In fact, none of the last fifteen virtual airlines we've added are U.S.-based. Is two more (Pan American was sometimes called "the only airline without a country of its own") so bad? In fact, recognizing the figures below, we've long held the vision that one-third of our VAs should be North American, one-third European, and one-third from the rest of the world.

2005 Passengers Carried, by Region
Africa/Middle East: 4.8%
Asia/Pacific: 23.0%
Europe: 30.6%
Latin America/Caribbean: 5.0%
North America: 36.6%
Source: Air Transport World

Multiplying these numbers by 31 (I exclude Virgin because of its worldwide presence) should give an approximate number of airlines to offer, by region:
Africa/Middle East: 1.5 expected vs. 2 actual
Asia/Pacific: 7.1 expected vs. 7 actual
Europe: 9.5 expected vs. 10 actual
Latin America/Caribbean: 1.6 expected vs. 3 actual
North America: 11.3 expected vs. 9 actual

So in actuality, comparing passenger numbers to airline numbers shows that the U.S. will actually be somewhat underserved by SimAirline.net. However, this is made up for by the larger sizes of these airlines.

A map showing all of our current destinations is available upon request.

Quote:
My personal choice would be El Al

A note on this: this is arguably the most difficult airline on which to base a good VA on. El Al's schedule is constantly changing and is very messy compared to other airlines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2006, 00:54 
Pilot

Perhaps, however they do keep their flights online and can be checked in the same way that any others can be checked. Another alternative would be to change their flights quarterly or monthly as they change them and not on daily.

Also El Al is interesting because their flight paths are often out of the way due to surrounding countries' relationships. An example of this is that the flight from TLV to Hong Kong flies over Turkey and then the Central Asian Republics instead of over Iran and Syria where it would be shot out of the sky. It is not for nothing that El Al is the world's safest carrier.

Finally, it has been pointed out to me that many of the LY virtual airlines have closed time and again. This means that there is a demand for one, it would not be repeated, as are other airlines that we have (Air Canada). That is positive and perhaps it would attract some of those people who were formerly LY VA members and would like to have their route options again.

Post subject: Delegation
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2006, 00:59 
Pilot

Another thought, not directly pertaining to this, but I can imagine that you (Aaron) will have lots of work on your plate with 32 airlines. Have you thought about perhaps delegating the verification of PIREPs to the VA managers in charge of each one. (i.e. the AOM manager would verify the PIREPs filed for AOM flights.) It might give you alot more time to do other things that you need to do. I know that you must stay very busy, just a thought from my end.

I got to thinking about this because I saw that you had commented several times about how much work it will be when we have 32 airlines and just thought I might give you a suggestion. Or maybe even getting a PIREP manager. Oo, now im on a role :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2006, 01:42 
Administrator

Quote:
ave you thought about perhaps delegating the verification of PIREPs to the VA managers in charge of each one. (i.e. the AOM manager would verify the PIREPs filed for AOM flights.)

This is not something I'm willing to delegate. I don't feel that there's anyone else in the organization that knows the flight schedules as well as I do and would be able to provide proper approve/don't approve decisions on PIREPs as efficiently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2006, 02:08 
Pilot

I understand your concern, and it's no skin off my nose, but I think that it is alot easier for one person to know the timetable of one airline (the VA Manager) than it is for one person to know the timetable of 32 airlines.

Perhaps this is not the way that you may want to choose to delegate, however it was a thought and, from other messages, it sounds like you are streached a bit thin so some type of delegation in some area might be benificial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 04:23 
Pilot

Believe me, we (as in management) have offered to help more, but Aaron seems okay with the workload he does, so don't worry too much about it. :)