Pitot Heat / Anti-Ice

Ask and learn how to fly better and more realistically.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Nick Cserny
Pilot

Re: Pitot Heat / Anti-Ice

Post by Nick Cserny » 30 Nov 2008, 15:30

Yes Tim, I agree with you there. I did get caught once with that in the RAAF. After that I
did learn and always did wet my fingers before touching to make sure, if I had doubts about being switched off without getting in the cockpit.

Eagle737
Pilot

Post by Eagle737 » 30 Nov 2008, 16:39

Nick Cserny wrote:G'day Chris,

We are barking up the wrong tree.....what we were talking about is pitot heat and not de-icing of leading edges. Pitot heat is a 28VDC system and has nothing to do with bleed air. The reason they are turned on right before take off is, moisture within the head itself that can be from rain or condensation from the outside. Since temperature drops 2 degrees C per 1000 feet of altitude, it would not take much for the moisture to freeze after take off.
In response to someone's comment that the head would melt if overheated, it is incorrect, as it is only a 28V system and the heating element would burn out or the circuit breaker would "pop" well before the pitot head would reach the temperature of melting. :)
Blue skies....
Nick C

Hey Nick,

No he actually was bringing up anti-icing in his statement... in the post I responded to (the last one), he was talking actually about the anti-icing of the aircraft through the pneumatic systems in addition to the discussion of sensor heating. That is why I responded to that subject to give some insight on anti-icing of airliners. You will also notice all my other posts in here were in regards to sensor heating. This is the part of his statement I was responding to:

DMM200 wrote:So I'll leave my anti-ice, window, and pitot heat on nonstop

Nick Cserny
Pilot

Post by Nick Cserny » 30 Nov 2008, 17:42

Sorry Chris....my apologies. :)

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 30 Nov 2008, 20:09

It's in the checklist for wing anti-ice to be on after takeoff, but the engine anti-ice can be turned on on the ground in a 747. I forgot to mention that I usually use the 747-400, my bad.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

maverick10
Pilot

Post by maverick10 » 14 Aug 2009, 22:47

You also have to turn the anti-ice on when flying in a lava cloud. Very rare, but it is a procedure in the KLM checklist.

Greetings,

Maverick10
''Many thanks to Fraser Jeffery for making this banner.''

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 15 Aug 2009, 00:32

Stefan, please take care to check when the last post was made in a thread before replying. This is not the first time you've replied to a very old topic unfortunately. Thanks.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land