VATSIM Question

Ask and learn how to fly better and more realistically.

Moderator: Moderating Team

alma343
Pilot

VATSIM Question

Post by alma343 » 29 Apr 2009, 14:00

Ive got an Question about Vatsim

IN FS9 can i fly together with someone in the same Plane? Or why do then People ask to join themselves.

RatherBFlyin

Re: VATSIM Question

Post by RatherBFlyin » 29 Apr 2009, 14:05

I know you can have more than one person flying the same aircraft in FSX (not sure about doing it on VATSIM though). I'm not so sure about FS9.

Luis B
Pilot

Post by Luis B » 30 Apr 2009, 04:33

cant fly together with fs9, its a feature they added with fsx and yes you can fly on vatsim with 2 pilots in one aircraft. not sure how they do it, but on another VA site I've seen others talk about how they take turns being the pilot and copilot and doing the different tasks

what do you mean people ask to join themselves
*Thanks to Fraser Jeffery (FJ Flyer) for the banner!*

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 01 May 2009, 15:54

IVe got an other Question: What happenes if theres no Controller is online at the Airport?
Luis B wrote:cant fly together with fs9, its a feature they added with fsx and yes you can fly on vatsim with 2 pilots in one aircraft. not sure how they do it, but on another VA site I've seen others talk about how they take turns being the pilot and copilot and doing the different tasks

what do you mean people ask to join themselves
I read sometimes ''does someone want to join me on this Route?''

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 02 May 2009, 03:28

They may be using FSX, or they may just want someone to fly alongside them in another aircraft. I couldn't be sure without asking them what they meant.

If there are no controllers online, then you just operate as if your comms are out. You self-announce your intentions on UNICOM (122.8 on VATSIM), stick to your flightplan, follow the routing on your SID's and STAR's, and don't do anything crazy. :P

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 02 May 2009, 06:34

RatherBFlyin wrote:They may be using FSX, or they may just want someone to fly alongside them in another aircraft. I couldn't be sure without asking them what they meant.

If there are no controllers online, then you just operate as if your comms are out. You self-announce your intentions on UNICOM (122.8 on VATSIM), stick to your flightplan, follow the routing on your SID's and STAR's, and don't do anything crazy. :P
But lets say at Heathrow, is that not a bit risky?

Luis B
Pilot

Post by Luis B » 02 May 2009, 13:38

maybe they just mean joining them in a group flight. people organize group flights and such on vatsim, sometimes they are really big groups leaving one airport together and destinations to the same. usually this is when ATC is logged in at a certain airport and usually they announce it on vatsim. then you can also just have friends flying around together just for fun. not TOO close together, as you said is it a bit risky, they follow the rules and such and make sure they arent flying in patterns and such like they're in the military

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 02 May 2009, 13:53

It can be a little tricky if the airport is busy, but if everyone follows the rules there shouldn't be any problems. The most important thing is to clearly communicate where you are and what you are doing, both on the ground and in the air. If you are getting close to someone ahead of you, slow down early. If someone is going to be not that far behind you, keep your speed up as long as possible. It takes practice, but you will get the hang of it. Just don't do anything unsafe, and don't cut into your own personal comfort zone to accommodate someone else.

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 04 May 2009, 16:32

MAde my first Flight but it wasnt sooooo good because i always had to talk into the stu*** Unicom :x

Luis B
Pilot

Post by Luis B » 04 May 2009, 17:50

ya dont have to worry much on unicom, since you have to type it all out, its just to let others know, if there are even any at the airport you are departing/arriving at, that you are moving around the area. when im approaching, i let them know Im on final and thats it, some people update like every minute or so, they know im inbound and if they look before taking a rwy if Im too close they will see me and hopefully not take the rwy. I always have that crash option off, one time I did a 2-3 hr flight, was taxiing to the gate and another aircraft hit me heading to the rwy... got sent all the way back to departure airport. this was with another VA, and i was using fsacars so it was recording my flight for the pirep.

we should get a few guys who like to fly on VATSIM and get a group going one of these days. I know saturday evenings there is one airport that a few other VA's fly to that ATC are scheduled to be at to make it more fun. maybe we could join in on one. we wouldnt have to make it official or anything since anyone can fly on vatsim and im sure the atc wouldnt mind, they love traffic

Thomas auer
Pilot

Post by Thomas auer » 05 May 2009, 14:13

we should get a few guys who like to fly on VATSIM and get a group going one of these days. I know saturday evenings there is one airport that a few other VA's fly to that ATC are scheduled to be at to make it more fun. maybe we could join in on one. we wouldnt have to make it official or anything since anyone can fly on vatsim and im sure the atc wouldnt mind, they love traffic
This has been talked about before, and it would be great. We haven't had any unofficial group flights organized between simairline pilots so far (in recent times) to my knowledge... No reason why not, a number of us are already regulars online. I often bump into a few during event's, but that's as far as it gets. It would be good to get to know eachother more, and not just by our forum names.

How about we fly to the Destination of the week each weekend? 8)

Garyck
Pilot

Post by Garyck » 14 Jul 2009, 19:35

This might not be the right thread to ask this question, but it does involve VATSIM. Now fully registered and ready to go, Now just to get rid of the nerves and sign into a gate and listen.

I joined the a Vatsim Forum and was welcomed by someone offering to join up and fly a few flights with me to show me the basics , but now he's vanished. He suggested that I need to buy the pmdg 737 as it has an FMC, and thayt i'll need that for SID and STARS. Well as you can guess, this has blown my mind. (I'm nervous enough as it is, without trying to understand more) :rolling: He's explained in basic terms what they are, but after reading though alot of topics about VATSIM and SID/STARS do you really need all that, or will the ATC give you vectors and fly take off/ approches that way?

If you think about it, we all have flown for months using the default ATC, and Flight plans, so as a NEWBE, wouldn't it be easier on them to gradually learn as you go along, rather than try to learn it, get fed up and end up doing nothing.

Gary
(A very confused and frustrated Gary) :(

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 14 Jul 2009, 21:12

If you are flying while ATC is online, they will generally ask if you have the charts for a specific arrival or departure procedure on board. You can always say no if you don't want to fly them, but it does make their job easier since they don't have to keep such a close eye on you.

I do disagree with the other person's comment that you would need to get the PMDG aircraft in order to make use of the FMC. I have been flying with FSX for over a year now and have never used a model that included an FMC and have never had a problem flying an arrival or departure procedure. It just takes a little extra work when creating your route for the flight.

In short, it is well worth the effort to learn how to fly SID and STAR procedures. However, it is not mandatory to do so. Just let the controllers know that you are new, and most of them will be glad to assist you as much as they can.

Garyck
Pilot

Post by Garyck » 22 Aug 2009, 22:20

Finally logged on this evening to Listen, But having a few problems wondered if anyone can help -

1 - Parked myself at EGFF to listen in, eventally managed to contact tower through chat as the first attempt wouldn't work so followed a video on you tube to sort that, I then tried voice communication but the tower could hardly hear me and ended up recommunicating through chat. TWR said I need to boost signal. My head set is a Saitek GH20. Is this up to the job and how do I get it so the controller can hear me, I have moved all the bars up to full on the volume control on my pc

2 - Cardiff TWR logged off, so disconnected the reconnected at EGLL, I filed to say I'm a newbe and just want to listen, but within a minute FSX crashes and sends an error report to Microsoft, Any idea what'll cause this. Its happened 3 times at LHR, But no problems at CWL

Gary

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 23 Aug 2009, 21:38

To Gary...I was having that same problem, my computer would freeze up after I connected with Vatsim. I got FS9, Nd haven't got up the nerve to get back into it, even for a one hr hop. I don't have any charts, just whatever fs has to offer, (which isn't much when on Vatsim) but I do know they will help you as much as possible. Maybe when my kids go back to school, I'll crank it back up

Garyck
Pilot

Post by Garyck » 23 Aug 2009, 21:40

Garyck wrote:Finally logged on this evening to Listen, But having a few problems wondered if anyone can help -

1 - Parked myself at EGFF to listen in, eventally managed to contact tower through chat as the first attempt wouldn't work so followed a video on you tube to sort that, I then tried voice communication but the tower could hardly hear me and ended up recommunicating through chat. TWR said I need to boost signal. My head set is a Saitek GH20. Is this up to the job and how do I get it so the controller can hear me, I have moved all the bars up to full on the volume control on my pc

Gary
Just to update you, Managed to get it working, Spent several hours listening and chatting to EGFF TWR tonight, Doing a few taxi tests tomorrow prior to circuits in a few days.

Garyck
Pilot

Post by Garyck » 24 Aug 2009, 08:11

I have another question, Not sure if this one can be answered or not,or if It should be on a separate thread. While 'training' at Cardiff (EGFF/CWL) last night a few other people logged on to VATSIM for their flights, When the aircraft appeared on the screen they showed up in Delta and Southwest colours, But they weren't Delta Flights or southwest flights, the first was a 757 for BAW (British Airways), the second was a 767 for TOM (Thomson) and the third 737BBJ.

How do I show it so that it is the correct colours for the aircraft displayed, Is it a case of download more AI Traffic from World of AI or is it something different?

Gary

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 24 Aug 2009, 13:56

Your VATSIM client (SquawBox or FSInn) will attempt to match the other user's aircraft as closely as possible. I know that with FSInn, you can edit each of your installed aircraft's airline and aircraft icao codes so that, theoretically, FSInn will be better able to correctly match the aircraft. It doesn't always work very well, though.

Randy
Pilot

Post by Randy » 24 Aug 2009, 14:19

a.trailblazer7 wrote:To Gary...I was having that same problem, my computer would freeze up after I connected with Vatsim. I got FS9, Nd haven't got up the nerve to get back into it, even for a one hr hop. I don't have any charts, just whatever fs has to offer, (which isn't much when on Vatsim) but I do know they will help you as much as possible. Maybe when my kids go back to school, I'll crank it back up
Silly window syndome or perhaps thrashing.

franceds
Pilot

Post by franceds » 06 Oct 2009, 19:11

I don't get it what do you do in VATSIM?