Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - How to Choose a STAR

It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 08:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Choose a STAR
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 01:47 
Management/Moderator

It seens that whenever it comes to the point when I am given the runway for landing, and come to choose a STAR (usually with PMDG aircraft), it is purely a game of trial and error trying to find a STAR that links in easily with my flight plan. Is there an easier way of choosing a STAR by looking at the name, or would it purely involve looking at charts beforehand to see which approaches link in well with my flight plan?

Post subject: Re: How to Choose a STAR
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 05:28 

I always make sure I know what STAR's would work with my route before I depart. This is easier with some airports than it is with others (*cough* De Gaulle *cough*). Unfortunately, sometimes you just need to flip through the charts to find the one that works best for you.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 17:48 
Management/Moderator

OK, thanks. I have just been looking in FSBuild and that can display SIDs and STARs, so it looks like I'll just have to work out which STARs would fit into my flight plan easily.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 20:54 
Pilot

At the moment Im over the atlantic. Now my last waypoint in the FP is ENE and JFK has an ENE STAR so I choose that one.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 03:28 
Pilot

That's how I usually do it. Looking at my last fix.
Otherwise I look up different TPs in charts. They usually tell you which STAR to use, based on your inbound fix.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 13:56 
Management/Moderator

Thanks for the help guys. I just realised that the looking at the last waypoint method is so much easier than what I've been doing (scrolling through different approaches). Does anyone here use Radar Contact? I know that it enables you to fly SIDs and STARs from ATC.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 14:35 

You can fly DP's and STAR's with the default ATC as well. You just need to program them into your flightplan ahead of time (or during the flight in the case of some STAR's). This is often easier to do with FSX than FS9, because FSX allows you to enter user waypoints that are not part of the default navigation database. Even with FS9 though, you should have no trouble flying non-RNAV procedures without too much trouble.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 16:03 
Management/Moderator

Is that only for FSX? Whenever I get close enough to the airport I automatically get vectored in to final, but if I am flying a plane with an FMC I usually ignore the vectors and fly a STAR. I still get clearance to land but I just have to cope with ATC repeatedly telling me to expedite my turn to heading x*. I am not too fussed about getting STARs to work with default ATC, but I'm just wondering how it works.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 18:21 
Pilot

Yeah more often than not I get "ATC services terminated blablabla..." because I ignore FS ATC's vectors. I end up just tuning tower when I'm near enough my destination and getting clearance to land from them.

As for Radar Contact, I've never tried it. Is it any good?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 19:58 
Management/Moderator

Radar Contact is one of those addons that I keep contemplate buying buy never get round to it. I think it is meant to be good for flying SIDs / STARs and not having to wait until your are 300 feet before getting orders to climb to another altitude. However, the interface looks a little dated and I know all the work-arounds in default ATC to get me from point A to point B with no problems.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 20:16 

Yes, the default ATC will start vectoring you for final in both FS9 and FSX. If you want to fly a STAR properly, just acknowledge the first heading instruction, then continue flying the STAR like you normally would. That way ATC won't cancel your IFR flight plan, though they will keep telling you to expedite your turn to whatever heading they assigned to you.

One of the big differences between FS9 and FSX though, is that FSX allows you to input your own waypoints into your flight plan (you can do this in FS9 as well, but only by manually editing the flight plan file after it is created to add them in, and it is a PITA, or by using a third-party flight plan creator). As long as you know the waypoint's coordinates, you can add it into any flight plan.