Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - New Menu Design - Main Page

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 00:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Menu Design - Main Page
PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 21:20 
Pilot

The testing topic was locked, so I've made this one to discuss the new design as it appears on the main page.
I came around eventually to the design as applied to the VA pages. However, this new menu on the main page has less options and thus takes up less than half of the screen. For a website menu, I feel that it is way too far to the left of the screen. Would it be possible to spread out the menu options more? The space is there, and it would be easier to navigate than now, where they're all compressed into the left edge.

Post subject: Re: New Menu Design - Main Page
PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 23:12 
Management/Moderator

I noticed that, however, it fits in with the rest of the site for a uniform look across the site.

I expect the proportions and looks will change on different monitors, but perhaps it could be centered above the SimAirline .gif animation.

PostPosted: 21 May 2008, 02:57 
Management/Moderator

Ugh and I still absolutely hate the new style, might have to work on some concepts when I get home.

PostPosted: 21 May 2008, 15:23 
Management/Moderator

Please say it is going to be flashy with shadows and image-based buttons and indents when you click. I know Aaron is not a fan of flashy, but that would be so cool.

I still prefer this new style to the old one, so it is a step-up anyway.

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 00:04 
Administrator

To reply to each of your issues...
Martin the Warrior wrote:
However, this new menu on the main page has less options and thus takes up less than half of the screen. For a website menu, I feel that it is way too far to the left of the screen. Would it be possible to spread out the menu options more? The space is there, and it would be easier to navigate than now, where they're all compressed into the left edge.

We could, but then we'd lose our full standardization with the menus on the rest of the site. This standardization was one of the main reasons for switching to the new menu.

The alternative is adding an additional section of the menu--but what would it be?

sanins192 wrote:
I noticed that, however, it fits in with the rest of the site for a uniform look across the site. I expect the proportions and looks will change on different monitors, but perhaps it could be centered above the SimAirline .gif animation.

Alex has confirmed my above point. However, to address this suggestion, does it really make sense to center the menu based on an element of the website that's on one page of the dozens that someone might view?

Northwestdc9 wrote:
Ugh and I still absolutely hate the new style, might have to work on some concepts when I get home.

Current feedback is quite positive. As of the time of this posting, 76% of respondents to the poll liked the overall changes we've made.

sanins192 wrote:
Please say it is going to be flashy with shadows and image-based buttons and indents when you click. I know Aaron is not a fan of flashy, but that would be so cool.

I still prefer this new style to the old one, so it is a step-up anyway.

I won't comment on the first part, sorry. For the second part, I'm glad you like the change. Nostalgia and familiarity with something can be difficult to overcome, whether it's a new bed, a new livery, or a new website design.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 02:43 
Management/Moderator

Aaron Robinson wrote:
Northwestdc9 wrote:

Current feedback is quite positive. As of the time of this posting, 76% of respondents to the poll liked the overall changes we've made.

While that's true, it doesn't mean we can't do better.
Like I said I'm going to work on some concepts sometime.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 22:37 
Pilot

Aaron

I think the design looks pretty good.

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: 28 May 2008, 16:24 
Management/Moderator

What I did notice is that on the main page menu there's no link to the PIREPs. To do so, you'd have to go to each VA's menu and click on the PIREP tab on its menu. Any reason of why that was removed?

PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 03:43 
Administrator

Thanks Dennis. It seems I accidentally deleted this. I'll add it back in the next few days.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 14:59 
Management/Moderator

Oh, I thought it had been deleted intentionally. I usually go through the main VA to file a PIREP anyway.

Regarding the new clickable tails, I really like them. They load much quicker and look very professional. Just two notes I would like to make. On some VAs which have codeshare links and a long news section, there is a massive gap under the tails. It looks too close to the text above. I do not know if it is a viable option to move the image down slightly so that they are not too close to the text above.

My other point regards the Concorde image in the middle. I'm sure this had been discussed to no end, but it seems slightly out of place, as though it is the centre of the organisation. I understand it would be very difficult to represent Concorde Virtual in another way. I do not know what you would think about making the image slightly smaller and putting the SA wings in the space above. They could extend above the top of the tails and be a link back to the main page. It would also space out the tails from the bottom of the text.

My final opinion is in regards to the main body of text. I think it would make sense to put this in a text box or make it slightly smaller as to not fill up the whole width of the page. To me it is too large and I think the website transformation would be complete if the text format was changed slightly.

PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 15:21 
Management/Moderator

sanins192 wrote:
My other point regards the Concorde image in the middle. I'm sure this had been discussed to no end, but it seems slightly out of place, as though it is the centre of the organisation. I understand it would be very difficult to represent Concorde Virtual in another way. I do not know what you would think about making the image slightly smaller and putting the SA wings in the space above. They could extend above the top of the tails and be a link back to the main page. It would also space out the tails from the bottom of the text.

Having tried that last night... it's bad and I mean REAL bad.
We'd have to make the entire thing bigger which we're not doing.