Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - AOM Bangkok routes

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 02:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AOM Bangkok routes
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 01:02 
Pilot

My first two flights here were AOM flights into and out of BKK.
It wasn´t until after I had done those flights that something occurred to me: the Bangkok routes for AOM show Suvarnabhumi airport; VTBS was opened in 2006 and given the fact that AOM stopped operating years before that I would think that these real life routes used to operate to/from Don Mueang. Shouldn´t our routes reflect that as well? (Sorry if this has been asked before, didn´t get any hits doing a forum search.)

Uwe Gremmels (378)

Post subject: Re: AOM Bangkok routes
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 13:38 
Administrator

This is a complicated question that I think about every year and change back and forth. I think the central question is: do we want AOM, Midway, Sabena, Swissair, Virgin Express, and Virgin Sun* to be portrayed at the time they closed, or do we want to bring them forward into the present and act as though they're still alive? There's certainly merit to both sides, and right now we do the latter.

I'm thinking about switching us again right now because of Berlin's historical airports closing, but I've never discussed this topic publicly. Thoughts from all of you?

*Pan American excepted, since it's fully intended to be a different era

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 15:40 
Management/Moderator

I would opt for the first option and have those historical airlines operate into the airports that were around back then. I think it adds to the realism, but it still means we can fly those airlines in the present day.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 16:03 
Pilot

sanins192 wrote:
I would opt for the first option and have those historical airlines operate into the airports that were around back then. I think it adds to the realism, but it still means we can fly those airlines in the present day.

I like the historic route as well, as you wouldn't see those airlines in airports built after they kicked the bucket.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 20:20 

IMHO, offering airlines that are no longer operating is more realistic if we operate into the same airports they used while they were operating. It's not a huge deal to me, but it makes sense to do it that way rather than switch to a newer airport in a destination city that was not around when the airline was operating.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 11:57 
Pilot

I also think the first option would be better. Why serve airports that were never served by that airline in real life ?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 20:08 
Administrator

Thank you all. We'll be making a change gradually over the next few weeks at affected VAs (AOM, Sabena, Swissair, Varig).

Here are some examples of complicated situations, explaining why we had a "current airport" policy:
-Delta used to fly into Bangkok, but stopped flying years before Suvarnabhumi opened. However, Delta is not a historical VA. Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi? Why?
-Varig used to fly to Hong Kong, but cut the route shortly after the move to Chek Lap Kok. Kai Tak or Chek Lap Kok? Why?
-Concorde flew to Singapore before Changi was built. Changi or Paya Lebar? Why?

New policy: in general, use whatever the final airport served by that airline was, with exceptions as needed.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 01:40 

One thing I've learned in aviation (and life) is that you cannot create a rule that will work in every situation.

I would say go with the last airport served, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 06:49 
Management/Moderator

Defintely use the airport the airline last operated to, otherwise we'd get confused.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 08:21 
Pilot

RatherBFlyin wrote:
One thing I've learned in aviation (and life) is that you cannot create a rule that will work in every situation.

I would say go with the last airport served, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

I suppose "Kai Tak is more fun" doesn´t really qualify as a compelling reason, eh?
:mrgreen:

Uwe Gremmels (378)

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 01:34 
Pilot

Seems to me that there are only a handful of cities around the world with this dilema facing us: Bangkok and Hong Kong for certain, but Tokyo, Berlin, Rome (3 WW2 Axis capitals) come to mind as a few of the places that might have to be governed by a pilot's choice rule.