Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - United/Continental merger

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 13:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: United/Continental merger
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 15:15 
Pilot

In a new twist, it appears that United and Continental will merger. In the news, it said that Continental brand will disappear, in that case, flyers like myself, who has mileage with them, what could happen to those miles?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ ... lyBriefing

Post subject: Re: United/Continental merger
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 15:21 
Pilot

They have been close before, so I guess we'll just have to wait n see.
I would hate to see the Continental name disappear regardless of what
they decide.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 16:42 
Pilot

Two years ago was almost a done deal, but at last, Continental pull out, but this time, it appears as a done business.
Me too, if truly happens, we will miss Continental delivery, keeping in mind that in PTY Continental is a regular customer, and mine airline for going to US.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 17:28 
Administrator

In a merger, miles are always retained.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 14:30 
Management/Moderator

It's official: they have announced their merger.

WSJ

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 15:07 
Administrator

http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/

The website (and I suspect, the forthcoming integration process) is very similar to Delta-Northwest...

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 18:13 

Aaron Robinson wrote:
http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/

The website (and I suspect, the forthcoming integration process) is very similar to Delta-Northwest...

Agreed. And that combined routemap is terrible.

My first thought when viewing the site: I like the idea of using the United name with the Continental aesthetics. It makes sense from a recognition standpoint since UA have changed their appearance more often than CO in the past 20 years. My biggest gripe though is the font used for the name. Nothing special, looks like something I could pull off Word.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 18:51 
Management

Yeah, those rendition logos and graphics do no justice to either livery.

I thought, as with DL/NW, the namesake leader (UA) would retain all of it's own liveries and logos, not use a stuck-together version of both.
United's logo and livery, IMO, is a good scheme, however the amount of aircraft painted in CO's white/grey with tail icon out numbers those in UA's new livery. It would be a simpler task just to change the text on the fuselage.

samuel.arnold@simairline.net | AIM: SamArnold960

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 23:38 
Pilot

Here's a concept of the new livery.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 1567_n.jpg

Honestly I think they should do like Delta and keep UA's stuff (logo's, liveries) rather than combining them.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 00:57 
Management/Moderator

I'm on the fence. If it weren't for the fact that it's literally painting 'United' over 'Continental', it would look a bit nicer.

Also, I remember seeing a logo which I think would have been an even better representation: the tulip with the CO globe on the background.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 01:10 
Pilot

Thanks for the pic Dennis. I believe that may be my next repaint :idea:
On the merger, I have no real gripes, except that I just hate to see the
Continental name go away. I also like their tail. As far as CO font, they
could have picked something better.
But as we all know - Money talks....

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 15:51 
Management/Moderator

Yeah, I think the United logo in the style of Continental livery looks a little too plain. I think the font worked for Continental because the name was quite long, but for a name as short as 'United', the font looks a little too Microsoft Wordy.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 03:03 
Pilot

Dennis, you should get that out to the Brass at Co/UAL. That looked sweet

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 04:11 
Management/Moderator

a.trailblazer7 wrote:
Dennis, you should get that out to the Brass at Co/UAL. That looked sweet

Well, let's email the guy that made it...cause I have no skills whatsoever to do this. :laugh:

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 09:02 
Pilot

Personally I thought they should have just kept CO for the name and everything. That font looks terrible, should have made it thinner and longer and it might have looked better. I mean I could have come up with something better for a hell of alot cheaper then they payed some guy to create.