Not everyone online is helpful

For all non-SimAirline.net FS flying and add-on recommendations.

Moderator: Moderating Team

RatherBFlyin

Not everyone online is helpful

Post by RatherBFlyin » 06 May 2010, 18:33

I just landed in Sydney (JetStar flight 720 from Hobart, Tasmania), and wanted to relate something that occurred as I was on approach to Sydney.

I was flying online (VATSIM), and I make it a habit to be rather "chatty" when approaching an airport online. By "chatty" I mean that I regularly send a UNICOM message indicating what I am doing. Initially I mention my descent progress (Sydney traffic, descending to FL250), then what STAR I am on if applicable (Sydney traffic, crossing RIVET, beginning RIVET 9 arrival. Descending to FL150, expecting ILS 34L approach), then I usually follow up with calls when on final and clear of the runway.

Anyway, today I could see another aircraft on DLMN, and later on TCAS, that was also approaching Sydney from the east, and it looked like we would be arriving around the same time. After I had made several calls, I asked him what his intentions were. He said he would be landing on runway 25, and I realized there wouldn't be any conflicts with that since I still had a few miles to go on the STAR before turning in to intercept the localizer. However, he (the individual will remain nameless) suddenly sends me a private message saying: "you only need to inform of initial,l/u, t/o, final, vacated"

While his statement is technically correct, I bring a real pilot's mindset to simulated flying, and when I am flying in an uncontrolled pattern with other traffic, there is no such thing as too much communication. In fact, that is what I told him. Not everyone flying on the simulator has TCAS. Not everyone is paying attention to DLMN (or any other utility that shows the status of the online network and depicts online aircraft and ATC). So the more information you can provide about your intentions, the better everyone else is able to adjust what they are doing to avoid you. And if they are broadcasting what they are doing, the better you can adjust what you are doing to avoid them.

To end the story, he ended up going around on his approach, though he did not mention why and it doesn't really matter why, and coming around for another approach to runway 25 while I was on the ILS to runway 34L. I was a little closer to the airport than he was at that point, so I would have landed first anyway, but in order to provide some additional space and time I kept my speed up around 180 knots until I was about four miles from the runway before slowing to 135 knots for the landing. I was able to exit well before crossing runway 25, but having the extra space and time made for a little less stress on both of our parts because we both knew what the other was doing (I told him I would be keeping my speed up on final).

The moral of the story is, just because someone tells you something about flying online, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good idea (and also don't expect someone else to adjust their flight to accommodate you, be ready to adjust your flight to accommodate them).

frogdude4993
Pilot

Re: Not everyone online is helpful

Post by frogdude4993 » 06 May 2010, 23:14

I can't stand people like that. Tim you're totally right. I hope that guy never steps foot in a real aircraft.

steve63
Pilot

Post by steve63 » 06 May 2010, 23:50

This why I stopped flying online. I had three diferent bad experiences with rude ( me first ) pilots and
just decided to heck with this I don't need the abuse so I havn't flown online for at least 5 years.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 07 May 2010, 02:19

You know, I WAS considering learning how to fly online, but if I'm going to have bad experiences like that, then why bother? At least the default ATC has no emotions XD
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 07 May 2010, 03:55

In his defense, he never gave me the impression that he was rude. It was just his informing me that it wasn't necessary to make a bunch of calls on UNICOM announcing my intentions that I felt was not a good practice. After I responded, we were both able to land without any trouble, and honestly, I have only had one bad experience in more than two years flying online (and that was with a controller, not another pilot).

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 25 May 2010, 17:19

Dennis wrote:You know, I WAS considering learning how to fly online, but if I'm going to have bad experiences like that, then why bother? At least the default ATC has no emotions XD
And all this is why I don't fly on line at all. Heck, FS ATC and all the traffic I have in there is enough :lol:
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 26 May 2010, 05:25

a.trailblazer7 wrote:
Dennis wrote:You know, I WAS considering learning how to fly online, but if I'm going to have bad experiences like that, then why bother? At least the default ATC has no emotions XD
And all this is why I don't fly on line at all. Heck, FS ATC and all the traffic I have in there is enough :lol:
Not all of us online are that mean :P
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint