What is viewpoint?

Talk about the latest posts in our web journal.

Moderator: Moderating Team

steve.KPHL
Pilot

What is viewpoint?

Post by steve.KPHL » 10 Feb 2008, 10:52

Hello
I am new here so I cant figure it out. What is viewpoint and what are we supposed to do in this section?
This one for Nick!

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Re: What is viewpoint?

Post by sanins192 » 10 Feb 2008, 13:39

This is Viewpoint.

Welcome to Viewpoint! This new section of SimAirline.net will be the new means for management to communicate with pilots, replacing the old Viewpoint section of Latitude. Viewpoint will eventually include a wide variety of material, including the most up-to-date SimAirline.net news and announcements.

Viewpoint's complete content is still unclear, but I'll be forming this over the next few weeks as I receive feedback on what you find interesting and useful from this section. For now, the easiest way to let me know what you like and don't like here by posting a comment or clicking the "karma" link (both below), or of course, by emailing me.

I'm sure you're wondering what Viewpoint is for and what it will contain. So, here's a brief FAQ.

Is Viewpoint replacing Latitude?
Yes. After a lot of consideration and thought, I decided to discontinue Latitude. While Latitude was a great part of SimAirline.net and a lot of fun to produce, it also took a lot of time to update and create content for. By the end of the year, I was eventually spending a solid week on Latitude, and then spending another week catching up for what I couldn't take care of during the Latitude week. This made the busiest part of the month, the beginning/end, even busier! So in the end, it just wasn't possible to keep everything going. The goal for Viewpoint is to offer many of the same features, but they'll come a lot more often rather than just once a month.

Why did we switch to this format rather than something else?
-new content can be extremely frequent and updated very often
-no pressure to have updates on a set schedule
-more personal than previous management-pilot communications
-easy for pilots to comment on and reply to
-all management can make posts, not just me

Is Viewpoint replacing the News page?
No, Viewpoint will actually complement the News page. For instance, let's say the News page mentions a new retired aircraft being added to SimAirline.net. Viewpoint will include that as well as more details, like what routes the aircraft is flown on.

I see a few sections. What are some examples of each of these?
Good question. Right now we have five categories:
-Announcements: major SimAirline.net news, like the introduction of Viewpoint.
-News Items: news involving our airlines, or other important industry news.
-NOTAMs: flying-related announcements or reminders to pilots--one example would be when an airline switches the airport it flies to in a city.
-Points of Interest: interesting things worth posting that don't fall in other categories (think The Tail Section).
-Updates: updates to our operations, like when a smaller part of our site is updated, or a new route is opened.

How often will Viewpoint be updated?
It depends on how much there is to post about and how well it's received. Viewpoint might see updates as often as every day at times.

Will Viewpoint include articles like Latitude did?
Absolutely! Latitude articles took a lot of time to write, so pulling together four by the first of each month was often difficult. Viewpoint will hopefully include similar articles, written by any of our pilots.

steve.KPHL
Pilot

Post by steve.KPHL » 10 Feb 2008, 15:36

Ok, why cant management communicate with pilots through pm or forums?
And what is latitudes?
This one for Nick!

bhowie4
Pilot

Post by bhowie4 » 10 Feb 2008, 15:49

Latitudes was once the monthly newsletter for SimAirline. It featured various news stories, profiled RL and SimAirline airlines, showed off unique destinations, etc. Many in management thought it was more trouble putting together then it was worth so instead they switched to Viewpoint which requires a bit less work and still provides a ton of useful information. While yes, management can communicate to pilots through the message boards, not everyone at SimAirline uses the message boards. Just think of it as another resource at your disposal. :)
Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson

steve.KPHL
Pilot

Post by steve.KPHL » 10 Feb 2008, 15:55

Ok, I get it
So where are the newsletters and viewpoints?
This one for Nick!

bhowie4
Pilot

Post by bhowie4 » 10 Feb 2008, 16:01

steve.KPHL wrote:Ok, I get it
So where are the newsletters and viewpoints?

See here: http://www.simairline.net/viewpoint/

Or here: http://www.simairline.net/messageboards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10811

That second link was just two posts down from the post announcing the new viewpoint message boards.....you know, the one you posted on.....a couple of times now.
Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson

steve.KPHL
Pilot

Post by steve.KPHL » 10 Feb 2008, 20:31

Awesome
Will check it out
This one for Nick!