Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - Open Aviaition Area

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 18:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Open Aviaition Area
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 20:37 
Management/Moderator

I just watched a program about the OpenSkies agreement and how this will affect the costs of London-America travel. There was an interview with Willie Walsh, similar to the one you will find here.

One point that I was interested in was when he talked about an 'Open Aviation Area', similar to the OpenSkies agreement but allowing British carriers to operate US domestic flights.

How do you feel about this proposal? Would you fly BA if they offered regional flights within the US?

Post subject: Re: Open Aviaition Area
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 20:52 

I'd fly them in a heartbeat. As long as the service is the usual one they provide, and the prices are comparable, I could actually see BA being my carrier of choice sine I'm not exactly devoted to anyone right now.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 21:10 
Management/Moderator

Haha of course I wouldn't fly them and nor would most Americans.
They'd see "British Airways" and think... that must be going to British (I know but that's how dumb we are) and wouldn't even give them a chance.

The US carriers are in enough pain, the LAST thing we need is more competition.
Now if we're talking about foreign owned US carriers like BA owning 50% of AA that would be ok.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 21:55 
Management/Moderator

This could also mean KLM flying domestic US routes if the plan somehow involves other European carriers. I'm sure you wouldn't mind them, Nick.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 22:07 
Management/Moderator

It would depend on the aircraft type, BA's shorthaul fleet and KL's shorthaul fleet is nothing like their longhaul fleets.
I probably wouldn't actually.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 22:11 
Management/Moderator

I suppose it depends on how seriously the airlines want to capitalise on the new routes. They might buy a new short haul fleet, but this is unlikely unless they want to be competing heavily against the US carriers.

I think it will be hard for BA to crack the US market, as most passengers would prefer to fly their home airline, which would most likely have lower fares. I think BA or KL or whoever would still make a tidy profit out of the people that do fly with them though.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 22:14 
Management/Moderator

If they want part of the pie just invest in the American carriers and codeshare extensively like NW/KL in Europe.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 22:19 
Administrator

Most European airlines aren't looking to enter the U.S. domestic market for the purpose of competing for domestic passengers, but to ensure feed for their international routes.

As always, I'll put up a link to my paper that's too long for anyone to seriously read and understand all the issues: http://www.simairline.net/bios/transatl ... ations.pdf

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008, 22:26 
Management/Moderator

I'm sure Willie Walsh would like to have a go and see if he could compete on some of the more major domestic routes; JFK-LAX, ATL-JFK etc.

I cannot really see this happening to the extent that he hopes it will.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008, 23:24 

Quote:
As always, I'll put up a link to my paper that's too long for anyone to seriously read and understand all the issues:

I got through about the 10th page, good stuff. Although it looks more like a masters thesis than an undergraduate paper...

ASEL/AMEL/IFR

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2008, 01:24 
Administrator

Thanks for actually going through it! Impressively, 40% of the words are in the footnotes!

Nick once told me that it bored him.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2008, 12:19 
Pilot

sanins192 wrote:
One point that I was interested in was when he talked about an 'Open Aviation Area', similar to the OpenSkies agreement but allowing British carriers to operate US domestic flights.

How do you feel about this proposal? Would you fly BA if they offered regional flights within the US?

British Airways/Comair flies domestic flights in South Africa. I know that lots of people make use of this, and what is the most shocking is that their prices are often cheaper than some of the local operators.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 23:02 

Quote:
Thanks for actually going through it! Impressively, 40% of the words are in the footnotes!

Yeah, I noticed a lot of footnotes. I'm sure you did well on it, you definitely know your stuff. I'm taking the last course in the Aviation curriculum now, and it's a airline management/business class. You and Nick would fit right in; I'm doing good in the class, but I'm more of an operations guy 8)

ASEL/AMEL/IFR