Member Spotlight Section?

Talk about the latest posts in our web journal.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Member Spotlight Section?

Post by Aaron Robinson » 21 Mar 2008, 15:43

Would you be interested in having a weekly section in Viewpoint focusing on individual members? We could have a short interview with various pilots, focusing on their own flying for us, flying in real life, what they do in real life, etc. I think it'd be great to offer this, but getting a good start, like in all new ventures, is the key.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

caps1237

Re: Member Spotlight Section?

Post by caps1237 » 21 Mar 2008, 16:00

I think this would be interesting, but only with interesting people. People like Brandon or Ali would be great, but Joe Schmo who just sits on his couch and fires up FS9 would be a bit boring.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Samuel Arnold
Management

Post by Samuel Arnold » 21 Mar 2008, 16:36

caps1237 wrote:I think this would be interesting, but only with interesting people. People like Brandon or Ali would be great, but Joe Schmo who just sits on his couch and fires up FS9 would be a bit boring.

LOL !

Yeah, I think the idea could be alright.
I would have to recommend Nick, despite what he may feel about the idea of himself being spotlighted :shock:
|| Signature banner by Fraser Jeffery ||
Samuel Arnold | Virtual Airline Manager - ANA Virtual, Varig Virtual
samuel.arnold@simairline.net | AIM: SamArnold960

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 21 Mar 2008, 17:13

Haha, that would certainly be an interesting one!

I too think it would have to be interesting people or management members. Captain Boring of Nowhereville, USA isn't going to be interesting at all.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

jaronamo77
Pilot

Post by jaronamo77 » 21 Mar 2008, 17:27

I think this is a good idea. It would be cool to get a look at the day-to-day lives of our members, even if it is Joe Schmo.

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 21 Mar 2008, 17:33

I honestly think it's a slight waste of time. I'm not sure that people are that crazy about reading about other people's lives. Unless of course they're a pilot or something.
^Special thanks to Dean Clay for the excellent banner.^

jaronamo77
Pilot

Post by jaronamo77 » 21 Mar 2008, 17:36

I just thought it would be kinda cool, but if no one else thinks so, then whatever. :laugh:

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 21 Mar 2008, 20:21

I think its a great idea Aaron. Could be totally fasinating learning new things.
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

capewellavc
Pilot

Post by capewellavc » 21 Mar 2008, 21:34

CaseyD wrote:I honestly think it's a slight waste of time. I'm not sure that people are that crazy about reading about other people's lives. Unless of course they're a pilot or something.

I agree with Casey (OMG I need help). If I wanted that, I would watch reality TV!

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 21 Mar 2008, 22:25

I actually think this may be a good idea, if done right. We could have a selection process or some way of choosing who to write about, so that we are not bored with their life story. Perhaps the pilot with the most hours at the end of the month, or the winner of the screenshot contest could be interviewed.

I don't think this is the best idea ever formulated, and I can see it getting boring after a while. I think time can be spent elsewhere on better things.

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 21 Mar 2008, 22:39

I think it's agreat Idea.
It's a bit like "Putting a face to the Name" topic.
It's a chance to see what people do outside of FS and Aviation.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

capewellavc
Pilot

Post by capewellavc » 22 Mar 2008, 00:19

sanins192 wrote:I actually think this may be a good idea, if done right. We could have a selection process or some way of choosing who to write about, so that we are not bored with their life story. Perhaps the pilot with the most hours at the end of the month, or the winner of the screenshot contest could be interviewed.

I don't think this is the best idea ever formulated, and I can see it getting boring after a while. I think time can be spent elsewhere on better things.

It's the same guy every month, at least it used to be. Would the person who spends all his time on FS be very interesting?

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 22 Mar 2008, 00:43

capewellavc wrote:
sanins192 wrote:I actually think this may be a good idea, if done right. We could have a selection process or some way of choosing who to write about, so that we are not bored with their life story. Perhaps the pilot with the most hours at the end of the month, or the winner of the screenshot contest could be interviewed.

It's the same guy every month, at least it used to be. Would the person who spends all his time on FS be very interesting?

Good point. We prettty much know what most people do on FS but it would be interesting to see what they do in their own time.
I found the amount of Instruments people played really interesting. It's that sort of thing that would make it good. (Musical Instruments Topic)
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

bhowie4
Pilot

Post by bhowie4 » 23 Mar 2008, 14:00

I think it's a great idea.

I think the only problem would be figuring out who, among our many many members would actually be interesting to write about. What about sending out a small, general survey or questionnaire and using that as a jumping off point?
Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson

glen.r.read
Pilot

Post by glen.r.read » 24 Apr 2008, 17:42

took the words out of my mouth...

if we could formulate a template for members who want to participate to fill in... it could then be up to the publisher/interviewer to extend on any comments and post an the interview in the member spotlight section!!!

nwa1819
Pilot

Post by nwa1819 » 24 Apr 2008, 21:45

I agree this would be a great idea.

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 24 Apr 2008, 22:10

This all sounds very good. Unfortunately, I probably should not be the one to be an interviewer--there's so much else for me to do. I hope that someone else will contact me and volunteer to step up to the task. I would be happy to do it, but I don't want to get into a habit of slowly increasing what I do, and then deciding that it's too much and I need to cut back a large number of them to keep our operations running smoothly.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

flyinmaninmn
Pilot

Post by flyinmaninmn » 10 May 2008, 17:23

Northwestdc9 wrote:Haha, that would certainly be an interesting one!

I too think it would have to be interesting people or management members. Captain Boring of Nowhereville, USA isn't going to be interesting at all.

everyone could be interesting. It kinda depends on WHAT kind of info you want to know about the person. If you want to learn about where they're from then theres alot of info you could learn. I don't like the idea of ONLY Management members though.
Lee

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 11 May 2008, 07:38

flyinmaninmn wrote:
Northwestdc9 wrote:Haha, that would certainly be an interesting one!

everyone could be interesting. It kinda depends on WHAT kind of info you want to know about the person. If you want to learn about where they're from then theres alot of info you could learn. I don't like the idea of ONLY Management members though.

Thats Right! everyone is interesting!