Continue Latitude in 2008

Talk about the latest posts in our web journal.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Do you think I am right?

Poll ended at 02 Dec 2007, 18:20

Yes
59%
No
18%
Not Sure
23%

Total votes: 22

Sallu
Pilot

Continue Latitude in 2008

Post by Sallu » 12 Nov 2007, 18:20

Hello Guys,

I have read all the editions of Latitude. November Edition requests the readers to give feedback so that's the only reason I am writing here.

If you really want to know what I feel about your magazine, read the rest but if not, you may stop here.

It needs a lot of creativity to run a magazine and what I appreciate is that you do this for free. But there are some drawbacks in the magazine according to me. The cover story is mostly boring and what is more boring is the cover pic. I like 'VA Spotlight' 'News briefs' and 'Hub focus' but I dont think 'THE TAIL SELCTION' is of any use. Your articles are mainly related to a specific airline which is so boring. Those who dont know much about it or dont care about such airlines wont have a lot to read. I think you should have articles and cover stories which will attract almost anyone who likes aviation.

Please dont get offended, I do respect the opinion of other readers but this is my opinion. It may not suit you but I wrote this because I care. It is mensioned in the November Edition that if you dont get proper feedback, you will not continue the magazine in 2008. I want you to continue this but it should be a new start with better presentation.

Salman Khan

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 12 Nov 2007, 18:46

so basically what the option for i want it to continue but i dint like everything u have suggested?
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Sean
Pilot

Post by Sean » 12 Nov 2007, 20:38

I think latitude should be continued. Its a great read.
BTW your banner is too large. It must be at a max of 200x600.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 12 Nov 2007, 20:51

Sean wrote:I think latitude should be continued. Its a great read.
BTW your banner is too large. It must be at a max of 200x600.

he knows. :wink: look at other threads :D

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 12 Nov 2007, 21:02

i see, next time, you wont see such a large banner from me

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 12 Nov 2007, 21:15

Please give your feedback about latitude on this page. If Aaron thinks that he has recieved enough response, he may continue the magazine in 2008.

AKBinky
Pilot

Post by AKBinky » 12 Nov 2007, 22:09

How about we scrap this poll in favor of one that is better worded?

I like Latitude. It may focus a little too much on real-world airlines, but that seems to suit many of our members. I enjoy it, and I look forward to reading it each month. In fact, I'd be willing to assist with an article now and then.

Things I'd like to see (or help with):

Pilot profiles
Education section
Route of the Month
Stewardesses
Equipment/Software reviews
Virgin's supermodel flight

COA413
Pilot

Post by COA413 » 12 Nov 2007, 22:16

First, if we are just going to offer a magazine with News Briefs, then you mind as well look at the a.net forums or something. Just giving news briefs is not interesting. Hub Focus is similar to Destination of the Week, but adds information and detail. We can't offer a magazine just with these two items.

I'm not 100% sure about what you mean when you say our "articles are mainly related to a specific airline." If the articles aren't going to be related to an airline, then what should they be related too. Also, it will be nearly impossible to write an article about an airline that EVERYONE loves. Everyone has their favorites and those airlines they just hate. It will be difficult to write articles that everyone will love.

From what I understand, the problem with Latitude is not that people don't want it to continue, its that our pilots are not posting and commenting on the magazine. A post was held regarding Latitude after it first came out, and only 245 (out of somewhere around 600) people voted regarding how they are liking it. The management team discussed this, and we are not sure if people are reading it. If our pilots are not going to post or discuss Latitude, it just doesn't really make sense to continue it.

I would love Latitude to be continued through 2008, but it might just not be worth it for all the work Aaron and other members put in.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 12 Nov 2007, 23:18

Adding to what Ben wrote: there's really no point in a bunch of pilots posting in this thread alone just so the magazine can continue.

I too would like for Latitude to continue, but there's no point in continuing it if pilots won't even discuss articles in it.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 12 Nov 2007, 23:19

Sallu wrote:i see, next time, you wont see such a large banner from me

No no, not next time, NOW we won't see such a large banner from you. Otherwise it will be removed. Please save everyone the trouble and either do it yourself or resize it.
^Special thanks to Dean Clay for the excellent banner.^

Worldflyer1984
Pilot

Post by Worldflyer1984 » 13 Nov 2007, 07:05

I think you guys are doing a great job with Latitude. Reading the latest issue is one of the things I look forward to...but I can understand management's position on continuing for the next year. I would have liked to write for the magazine, but commitments to school wouldn't allow me to give Latitude the attention it deserves.

So if Latitude must be sacrificed in order to make simairline better, then it might not be THAT bad after all.

Blackbird
Pilot

Post by Blackbird » 13 Nov 2007, 12:58

I really enjoy Latitude and I really think it should continue in 2008. However maybe a few changes are required. As mentioned before, maybe there's to much focus on the real airline world. Maybe it would be fun to look more at the things that are going on within our organization. With profiles of our pilots who can talk about their experiences and flights.
Articles about real airline's can still be included but more; in addition to...

It is mentioned that there wouldn't be something for everyone in every issue. I find that a little hard to believe because when you are a aviation fan you love to read about a ll kinds of stuff connected to that field, right?
However there may be a way to meet everyone's expectations. Try to include something about every airline Simairline has. In that way everyone is statisfied because there will be something about their favorite airline. Because if their favorite airline isn't included in Simairline they probably wouldn't be flying for us.
In one issue there will be more fucus on British Aiways for instance and in the other on KLM. That's no problem, just make sure that there is something to read about the other airlines as well. Not every month a huge article but still... you get the point. Over the course of a year every airline will be as much talked about as the other.

I really think with chages like this you would meet the expectations of many readers. And I only say this to encourage you to go on. Latitude is one of the reasons that makes our organization so great!

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 13 Nov 2007, 15:53

Hi again,
I think AKBinky has suggested useful things. Anyways, it is for the management to decide.
Looks like COA413 did not get my point. What I mean is that you guys seem to write cover stories and articles which focus mainly a single airline. I suggest that you cover topics which are related to the whole aviation. And you guys write a lot about Virgin.

Examples of Articles which only say about a single airline:
Virgin America: Our Opinion
Final Days for Virgin Express
Alaska 737-200C Tribute
African Queen
Welcome to the Zoo

Examples of Articles which cover a large part of aviation:
Seaports
Network Planning
Night Curfews

As you can see, the latter group will attract a large amount of aviation lovers than the former.

I just suggest that you present articles like this in Latitude.

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 13 Nov 2007, 18:30

I love reading Latitude, but I think we have to take into consideration the audience.

The way that Latitude is constructed ans set out makes it look like a proffesional aviation magazine, with real world stories and news updates. However, I feel that a lot of our pilots can access this information from elsewhere, so I think we should focus on articles that are less important, and try to get some participation from the pilots. Maybe set up polls in this forum, and try and make it more like the tail section and include opinion polls.

I admire all of the hard work that is put in, but I believe it needs to be more accessible by our pilots, and perhaps only include one major article relating to real world operations, and condense the news briefs section.

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 13 Nov 2007, 18:55

I support your opinion 100% sanins192

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 13 Nov 2007, 20:43

Sallu wrote:I support your opinion 100% sanins192

me to. Get the pilots more involved

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 13 Nov 2007, 21:29

Having been a management member in the past, I know there's a lot more behind the scenes at SimAirline.net work than pilots would think. Maybe a small "Behind-the-scenes" section with short view of what's to come. Maybe a little commentary on different projects everyone is working on. some screenshots to show things in progress? Just an idea.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

AKBinky
Pilot

Post by AKBinky » 13 Nov 2007, 22:03

I agree. Behind the scenes is a great idea. Aaron and the team put in a lot of hours, and maybe it would be nice to see where those hours are logged. Plus, a lot of our pilots don't realize just who's behind all those mean messages they get.

It's time to see the man behind the curtain!

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 14 Nov 2007, 02:20

yeah, good idea

Blackbird
Pilot

Post by Blackbird » 14 Nov 2007, 11:03

Indeed let's focus more on our organization. I think that would be really interesting. Maybe we can come up with more ideas together...