Continue Latitude in 2008

Talk about the latest posts in our web journal.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Do you think I am right?

Poll ended at 02 Dec 2007, 18:20

Yes
59%
No
18%
Not Sure
23%

Total votes: 22

AKBinky
Pilot

Post by AKBinky » 20 Nov 2007, 22:15

Aaron -
It's clear that a lot of people do in fact read Latitude, so in that regard it is a success. Latitude alone got me to rejoin Simairline.net, so as a recruiting tool, it scores high marks. If your goal was to create discussion and debate, well, it's a little less successful. A magazine is a one-way communication; people only respond when they're really unhappy with that type of presentation. Besides, our boards are filled with discussion, both on and off the topic of aviation. Do we really need more topics? If so, post them the articles here and watch the fur fly!

As for the topics and suggestions, you can't ask for suggestions and be disappointed when people give them, regardless of how long it takes to make them. You are correct in saying that there are many resources that focus on the flying side, but you miss that there are also many sources that focus on airline issues (including the local news). Give us something nobody else does--a look into Simairline. Part can be airline-related, but to restrict it all to real-life airline issues risks marginalizing those of us for whom this is--uh oh, here it comes--just a game. We're not all planning on an aviation career; some of us just enjoy taking a break from real life, from our problems, studies, families.

In the end, Simairline.net is supposed to be fun. It's your baby. If you don't want to continue Latitude, then don't. If it's a waste of your time, then spend your time doing something you enjoy. You're never going to please everyone, and if you or the rest of the Latitude team aren't enjoying putting it together, then it's best you stop. Block out that time, load up FSX, hop into the cockpit, and remember why you started this in the first place.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 21 Nov 2007, 00:22

Instead of telling him the improvements, why not write articles where that improvement is shown? If you like to focus on the economics in airlines, write an article about it. It's not only replying to a board pleading for the magazine to continue. It's also about discussing the topics. Did you like management liveries? Management planes? Did you like learning about the freedoms of the air?

We understand (we as management, not as writers) that some people arrived here when Latitude was already launched. However, I consider that it's not so much of an excuse having read over four issues and not find anything to talk about. For those that already were here, I personally think that it's sad knowing that the magazine has been for almost a year now and now is the time when everyone wants it to continue.

Everybody has time constraints, and I'm not the only one who has promised articles and have failed meeting their deadline. Everybody has school or work, but we ALL visit the boards, and we all have read at least one article from Latitude. Maybe a few seconds of discussion, posting your opinion on an article will at least show Aaron that we ARE reading the magazine, that the goals of Latitude are being met, and that his work is not in vain.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 21 Nov 2007, 15:12

I agree with AKBinky. Why do you have to focus on giving lessons through your work. Latitude is not a textbook! Is It?

steve63
Pilot

Post by steve63 » 27 Nov 2007, 00:42

Loved this months Latitude. The artical on milk runs made me think of the days when I would fly CP Airs B 732 milk run from Vancouver British Columbia to Whitehorse Yukon. It use go from Vancouver to Prince George to Fort ST. John to Dawson Creek to Watson Lake and then Whitehorse. It took close to 6 hours to fly . If you go now it takes less than 2hrs. The atical about Jetblue was intresting with the eerie similarities .
Last edited by steve63 on 14 Dec 2007, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ali Abou-Zeid
Administrator

Post by Ali Abou-Zeid » 04 Dec 2007, 09:55

I have always enjoyed read and writing for Latitude. I must admit I haven't read all issues, and sometimes I wouldn't read all the articles.

A great deal of work is put into Latitude, not to mention the huge amount of time it consumes to to put up together every month. It also, takes time to write for Latitude. It would be really sad to see Latitude go away, but, what would it be like to see SimAirline.net go away?

The problem is that we don't find any feedback from the people who read Latitude, and this gives us the impression that don't have much audience for it. Also, contributions to the "Tail Section" and writing articles takes off the work load a bit.

I see some mentioned here about things they would love to see in Latitude, why haven't those come up before? At SimAirline.net we're always open for suggestions and new ideas, and we consider everything.

Here's what many people would misunderstand had they attempted to suggest something and it hadn't been looked into. The reason for that is because it's been already previously discussed internally between management. At SimAirline.net we always think ahead, I remember in my early days I find Aaron talking with me about distant future plans that from my point were really so far ahead. Then, suddenly the time comes for those plans to be implemented.

The birth of Latitude wasn't just an overnight decision or idea, we've discussed it for months to come up with the idea, content, display...etc. And of course the name as well.

Again I hate to see Latitude go away, but I'd hate it more to see SimAirline.net go away. Most of us (senior management) have entered really important phases of our REAL lives and our time commitments have decreased dramatically, we try to keep the pace as much as we can.

Latitude is a great addition, I really hope it stays, but I cannot be the only one who would contribute. I do not guarantee writing an article for it monthly or even every other month, but for sure, I'd write an article whenever possible. If a good amount of our pilots and management could contribute an article, I guarantee that Latitude will stay up as long as we're going ahead with SimAirline.net

On a last note, some mentioned here that they didn't know what "Letter from Aaron" was since they joined in during 2007. The monthly "Letter from Aaron" was a basic page on our site updated monthly from Aaron to our pilots. It's more like news brief on the past month. Just that one web page was replaced by Latitude, which I find very interesting, colourful and lovely.
What centreline???

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 21 Dec 2007, 22:55

I have read this month's Latitude too. I dint change my opinion about it even this time. Awesome work by the whole team behind Latitude. Keep it up. The best part according to me is the Emirates article. Nice work.

One small question. Can we expect some change in the next years editions?

I hope it was polite! :)

COA413
Pilot

Post by COA413 » 22 Dec 2007, 19:00

Aaron and the management aren't certain about what is going to happen next year, but you can except some changes regarding Latitude.

Sallu
Pilot

Post by Sallu » 22 Dec 2007, 19:05

Thanx for that.