Zipping vs. Not Zipping

Having trouble finding the flight you want?

Moderator: Moderating Team

ennoborg
Pilot

Zipping vs. Not Zipping

Post by ennoborg » 09 Nov 2008, 14:39

Hi Aaron,

Would it be possible to put direct links to the timetables on-site? I checked the compression ratio's in the ZIP's, and found that they're about 10 %, so direct downloads won't influence the traffic much, I think.

Direct links instead of ZIP's make it easier for me to stay up-to-date with the latest schedules.

thanks,

Enno
Dutch Dakota Association
Enno Borgsteede

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Re: Zipping vs. Not Zipping

Post by Aaron Robinson » 09 Nov 2008, 16:09

Enno, thanks for your suggestion. There are good reasons to offer the file zipped rather than as an XLS or PDF.

1) It forces the user to actually download the file to their computer rather than just look at it once on the website, look at it another time, a third time, etc. Because these files are quite large (and still growing), we want to control our bandwidth usage. This also creates a problem for users because it takes them longer to load the file again vs. saving once.
2) The PDF zip file has four PDFs within it, so it makes sense to combine them to one file.
ennoborg wrote:Direct links instead of ZIP's make it easier for me to stay up-to-date with the latest schedules.
3) This shouldn't be an issue, as the PDF says in red on every page when you should update it by, and the XLS tells you, also in red, when it's out of date (and not before).
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

ennoborg
Pilot

Re: Zipping vs. Not Zipping, adding filters

Post by ennoborg » 09 Nov 2008, 17:21

Aaron Robinson wrote:
ennoborg wrote:Direct links instead of ZIP's make it easier for me to stay up-to-date with the latest schedules.
3) This shouldn't be an issue, as the PDF says in red on every page when you should update it by, and the XLS tells you, also in red, when it's out of date (and not before).
OK, I understand the bandwidth issue, and I'm sure that I will see the alarm you mention later this week.

Here's another one:

I played around with the XLS a bit and added filters to the Departure Airport and the Aircraft columns. Using these, I can quickly select flights that depart from the airport of choice, or pick ones that I can fly with my favourite aircraft.

I added these to my personal copy with OpenOffice.org 3.0, so I can't tell you how to do this with Excel, but I'm sure that you know your way with that better than I do.

cheers,

Enno
Dutch Dakota Association
Enno Borgsteede

RatherBFlyin

Re: Zipping vs. Not Zipping

Post by RatherBFlyin » 09 Nov 2008, 18:19

One of the reasons that we recommend the Excel file over the PDF is because of the filtering and sorting abilities offered by Excel (and Open Office, I use both). The only problem with using the Excel file is that you would have to redo your personal settings when you download an updated version of the timetable. That is a very minor issue however, since in my case it takes me all of about 10 seconds to set the timetable the way I want it, and then I can drill down into it to find everything I need after that.

Since I keep an Excel back-up logbook of all of my flights, I was somewhat familiar with some of the features available in the program. However, I have not really had much need to use them until Aaron created the new timetable.