Thoughts so Far?

Having trouble finding the flight you want?

Moderator: Moderating Team

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Re: Thoughts so Far?

Post by Aaron Robinson » 31 Dec 2008, 02:17

capewellavc wrote:Has the filtering got any Openoffice support? I don't use MS Excel as... well i'm tight. It doesn't seem to fit with Simairline.net's corporate image to offer support to payware, when a freeware alternative is available.
I don't know, sorry. When the project was originally conceived, we made sure that the vast majority of pilots had Excel (poll), and provided the PDF for those that don't.
NWADC9 wrote:Quite frankly, I preferred the old webpage way. I don't like the inconvenience of having to download the schedule every week; when I wanna look a flight up, I want it now-not in a few minutes.
Why do you have to download it every week? Changes are very small and always listed on the timetable page. The timetable also lets you know when it's out of date.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 31 Dec 2008, 03:00

NWADC9 wrote:Quite frankly, I preferred the old webpage way. I don't like the inconvenience of having to download the schedule every week; when I wanna look a flight up, I want it now-not in a few minutes.

There's no need for you to download it every week, if the updates listed don't affect you, then just use the one you've got. That's the whole point of listing what new is included.

I've also found, that everything is updated a whole lot more quicker, basically because it's easier to do.

capewellavc wrote:Has the filtering got any Openoffice support? I don't use MS Excel as... well i'm tight. It doesn't seem to fit with Simairline.net's corporate image to offer support to payware, when a freeware alternative is available.

What's wrong with downloading Microsoft Excel Viewer, that's freeware isn't it?

Aaron, maybe we should put a link to this on the Timetable page?
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 31 Dec 2008, 04:09

FJ flyer wrote:I've also found, that everything is updated a whole lot more quicker, basically because it's easier to do.
Exactly. Now when a time zone change occurs, it will be immediately reflected in the timetable because of the programming I've done. In the past it took several weeks to overhaul the timetables to reflect winter/summer DST changes./quote]

FJ flyer wrote:

Thanks Fraser, I'll take a look.

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 31 Dec 2008, 04:15

FJ flyer wrote:

There's no need for you to download it every week, if the updates listed don't affect you, then just use the one you've got. That's the whole point of listing what new is included.

I've also found, that everything is updated a whole lot more quicker, basically because it's easier to do.

Now that's quick thinking.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

capewellavc
Pilot

Post by capewellavc » 31 Dec 2008, 12:22

The filtering doesn't work there either, as that program won't allow edits.

Edit: I have just discovered that the IATA/ICAO filter works in OO, maybe change the main filters to use that method?

ennoborg
Pilot

Post by ennoborg » 31 Dec 2008, 14:36

capewellavc wrote:

The filtering doesn't work there either, as that program won't allow edits.

Edit: I have just discovered that the IATA/ICAO filter works in OO, maybe change the main filters to use that method?

For OO it helps to select a cell in the header of the actual timetable, like Departure Airport, select AutoFilter from the Data menu, and then save the file (in OO format). Next time you load it, the filter arrows are there.
Dutch Dakota Association
Enno Borgsteede

capewellavc
Pilot

Post by capewellavc » 01 Jan 2009, 17:20

Ahh fantastic! Thanks for your help.

navigator083
Pilot

Post by navigator083 » 04 Jan 2009, 16:25

I prefer the excel version, but can one change the order of columns (especially as there is a large header), I would prefer the flight duration adjacent to the arrival times.
Navigator
Pilot ID 083

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 05 Jan 2009, 00:03

I studied the fields order in airline printed timetables, looking at those that do include flight duration. Among our airlines, the only ones were Alitalia, Continental, and KLM. Without exception, the flight length was ever the last or second to last field. The reasoning makes sense to me--flight length is not as important as other features like times, frequency, flight number, or aircraft type. There may be other reasons as well for this--perhaps to avoid confusion between the various times. As a result, I don't think we should be prioritizing something that's really not as important as other aspects of a flight.

egge0073
Pilot

Post by egge0073 » 25 Jan 2009, 17:55

Am I missing something? When I fllter to NWA for flights out of KMSP, it appears that there is a significant number of flights missing that appeared in the old version of the Time Table. As a recent relo from Appelton, Wisconsin, I enjoy the short flight from KMSP to KATW, but no longer see that as a route supported by NWA? I'm pretty sure the route still exists in real time, but do not see it listed on the new Time Table? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 25 Jan 2009, 21:26

egge0073 wrote:Am I missing something? When I fllter to NWA for flights out of KMSP, it appears that there is a significant number of flights missing that appeared in the old version of the Time Table. As a recent relo from Appelton, Wisconsin, I enjoy the short flight from KMSP to KATW, but no longer see that as a route supported by NWA? I'm pretty sure the route still exists in real time, but do not see it listed on the new Time Table? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The flights in the timetable contain only Discontinued flights for NWA. If the flight is still being flown in real time, then it won't be in the new timetable. It will be in the Sky Team electronic timetable.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.