Other Virtual Airlines you fly for

General discussion about SimAirline.net and its airlines.

Moderator: Moderating Team

bigrobmjca
Pilot

Other Virtual Airlines you fly for

Post by bigrobmjca » 29 Dec 2007, 06:35

Is there anyone on here who is as active with another VA as they are with Simairline.net?

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 29 Dec 2007, 06:58

Used to be. Now, since there's hardly any good VAs left, I've kinda drifed off into my own world flying and filing things on my own.

No problems with this topic as long as it stays on topic, however, I'm obligated to remind everyone that posts with links or advertisements for other VAs are not permitted.
^Special thanks to Dean Clay for the excellent banner.^

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 29 Dec 2007, 07:22

I used to fly with Virtual ANZ but they had a ranking system meaning I could only fly small aircraft so I quit.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 29 Dec 2007, 09:36

I used to fly for Vorona and an all ASA group. Did a server change and bang the thing died. 2000+ pilots left stranded. Also just joined FTG for JAL.
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Sean
Pilot

Post by Sean » 29 Dec 2007, 12:43

I used to be apart of TUIFLY.

bhowie4
Pilot

Post by bhowie4 » 29 Dec 2007, 14:33

I flew with FTG for about a week at the same time I signed up here. Never could get their Live ACARS to work properly so I just quit in frustration.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 29 Dec 2007, 14:50

I also flew for the FTG, specifically B6, but I left the group. In addition, I also was a member of Virtual US Airways, but I filed for inactivity and eventually left the group too.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 29 Dec 2007, 14:53

I've looked around at different ones, and Thomson Virtual caught my attention. However, there was a test you had to take to get in and I think you had to fly online, so it was a no-no for me.

I just fly flights like that on my own. With a single VA there is very little flexibility in flights and it is worth doing it in your own spare time and filing it in your own personal logbook.

However, other VAs are good for stealing planes from the Fleet Pages. :wink:

Rich Dawson
Pilot

Post by Rich Dawson » 29 Dec 2007, 15:28

I've flown with a few other VA's in my past. I started out with Lufthansa Virtual...closed by Lufthansa a few months after I joined. I then joined British Airways Virtual until it's closure in 2002ish. I flew Boeing E3 Sentry's and Nimrods with RAF virtual until it's closure. I moved on to DC-3 Airways when I bought FS9 (I think). I then had my 2nd flirtation with British Airways Virtual, I left as my time commitments were limited at the time. I then signed up here and have been here ever since. :D
""There we are ladies and gentlemen we're through mach 1, the speed of sound. No bumps, no bangs...Concorde."

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 29 Dec 2007, 16:26

However, other VAs are good for stealing planes from the Fleet Pages.

Yep, I do the same thing! :lol:

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 29 Dec 2007, 17:22

^HAHAHA...same here. Thanks to that...I have many AA planes, US Airways planes and United planes with custom panels and sounds.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 29 Dec 2007, 17:40

lol I used to!! Lots of good stuff at various VAs that are harder to find when you're a noob.

Never flown for any other VAs nor have I wanted to.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 29 Dec 2007, 18:06

I used to do my real world simming here, and then also join a fictional VA for fun. I've been a member of Amy Gardner's VA (old members will remember her) where I had my own VA that flew codeshares with hers, I've joined with Atlantic Sun Airways, and MetroAir Virtual. And I've left all because I wanted to focus on real world flights.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

COA413
Pilot

Post by COA413 » 29 Dec 2007, 18:45

I was part of a bunch of other VAs, but only for a short time. I did FTG for a little, Delta, American, and ATA. The longest I flew for was UVA (United), but they had ranks and checkrides. After I failed one of my checkrides, I stopped flying. I just file stuff on my own now.

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 29 Dec 2007, 19:53

So how did the checkride work in FS?

Junk_Rick224
Pilot

Post by Junk_Rick224 » 29 Dec 2007, 20:19

sanins192 wrote:So how did the checkride work in FS?

Some VAs have programs called ACARS which track like 30 parameters of your flight and then they can see what you did.

I still fly for Delta VA. I enjoy being with them also, except that their boards are not as active, well they are, but I just don't really look at them much.
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson.

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 29 Dec 2007, 20:35

Checkrides and ACARS both suck. They're what turn me off of most other VAs. Ranks I don't mind, actually, they're kinda nice. I flew for Eastern Virtual Airlines for about 2 years before they all became idiots. Then I did Eastern Airlines Virtual, they were ok, but not the same. Tried ATA, but then I got busy and kinda forgot about it. Now the real ATA just sucks so I assume the VA is the same. Tried all the American Virtuals, one requires you to fly online, on requires checkrides, the other requires ACARS and of those only 1 flies real flights. Checkrides were way too in depth.

I was at Atlantic Sun and Metro Air for a short time too. Both great fictional airlines.

Junk_Rick224
Pilot

Post by Junk_Rick224 » 29 Dec 2007, 20:43

I personally like having to take exams and checkrides and use ACARS. I find it more realistic. But then again, it depends on that person. For example, the other VA I'm in also has a flight academy for FS. And best thing is, that you're not REQUIRED to use any of these things. I do it because I like it. Actually, that is the only reason I joined the other VA. I fly a flight, it gets tracked, and I file it on both DVA and simairline.net. I don't think this would be considered cheating, would it?
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson.

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 29 Dec 2007, 20:46

No rule that states you have to fly exclusively for us. If I wanted to do the checkrides, then I'd fly a real airliner. Not one in FS. ACARS I don't find realistic at all.

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 29 Dec 2007, 21:07

Actually, that is the only reason I joined the other VA. I fly a flight, it gets tracked, and I file it on both DVA and simairline.net. I don't think this would be considered cheating, would it?

It would only be questionable if you tried to carry over hours that were double credited to a virtual airline.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn