Page 3 of 3

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 21:40
by Martin the Warrior
sanins192 wrote:To be honest I prefered it without the lines, as now it looks the same as before. However, it is a better improvement and I would like to see this across the entire site.
Alex brings up a good point here that I agree with--it looks more like the previous version now that it has the lines. If we're looking for more change, then I liked the menu just as well without the lines, so I'd support changing it back if others want that as well.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 21:55
by sanins192
FJ flyer wrote:Alex, if you click on the "SimAirline.net" Button on the menu bar it will take you back to the homepage. :winking:
I did not know that! I don't usually click on the top buttons anyway.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 22:04
by FJ flyer
sanins192 wrote:
FJ flyer wrote:Alex, if you click on the "SimAirline.net" Button on the menu bar it will take you back to the homepage. :winking:
I did not know that! I don't usually click on the top buttons anyway.
Neither did I till yesterday :lol: .

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 23:01
by DeanClay
FJ flyer wrote:
sanins192 wrote:
FJ flyer wrote:Alex, if you click on the "SimAirline.net" Button on the menu bar it will take you back to the homepage. :winking:
I did not know that! I don't usually click on the top buttons anyway.
Neither did I till yesterday :lol: .
Strange, I only notcied that feature a few weeks ago :lol:

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 14:59
by Aaron Robinson
FJ flyer wrote:
sanins192 wrote:
FJ flyer wrote:Alex, if you click on the "SimAirline.net" Button on the menu bar it will take you back to the homepage. :winking:
I did not know that! I don't usually click on the top buttons anyway.
Neither did I till yesterday :lol: .
It was an improvement added in the 2008 menu content update--early March, I believe.
Martin the Warrior wrote:
sanins192 wrote:To be honest I prefered it without the lines, as now it looks the same as before. However, it is a better improvement and I would like to see this across the entire site.
Alex brings up a good point here that I agree with--it looks more like the previous version now that it has the lines. If we're looking for more change, then I liked the menu just as well without the lines, so I'd support changing it back if others want that as well.
Funny that you guys waffle between change and no change...just keep in mind that a style applied here may look better or worse at other VA sites, but the overall goal is to have a consistent feel across the organization.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 17:05
by sanins192
I say go for it without the lines. This one looks too similar.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 19:05
by Northwestdc9
I'd strongly disagree, similarity isn't a bad thing. Without the lines it's not good at all, bland and lacking structure. Lines are a must.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 19:10
by sanins192
I still think an image based button would look the best. It would only have to be done once and applied across the whole site, changing the relevant text colours.

I think this work would pay off, although I have no concept of how long this would take.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 19:12
by Northwestdc9
It would have to be done per VA, one button at a time. I'd probably be the one who ends up doing it and even at a full speed pace it'd take all day for just one VA.

Updating it would be even more annoying, instead of a 10 second change to the code, I'd have to remake the button.

Yikes!

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 22:02
by Martin the Warrior
Well, I wanted the lines because I wanted to see what that would look like. It wasn't quite like I imagined, so I don't have a clear preference between the two. :wink:

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 30 Apr 2008, 03:59
by capewellavc
No lines.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 01 May 2008, 04:17
by caps1237
I haven't said anything yet, but I thought I'd jump in. The current version up looks fantastic. Really professional looking. Nice and minimal, gets the job done. I always thought there was a certain something the old one had missing, and the new version gets it done.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 01 May 2008, 15:53
by Northwestdc9
caps1237 wrote:I haven't said anything yet, but I thought I'd jump in. The current version up looks fantastic. Really professional looking. Nice and minimal, gets the job done. I always thought there was a certain something the old one had missing, and the new version gets it done.
Exactly right, the old one was good, this one is an upgrade. VERY nice.

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 01 May 2008, 22:54
by capewellavc
Exactly right, the old one was good, this one is an upgrade. VERY nice.
However with the lines is a down grade

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 02 May 2008, 00:01
by caps1237
Just a little thing I noticed: The banner looks perfectly fine on my smaller monitor computer (which I believe is 1280x768 resolution), but the left side hangs off the border of the page a little on my larger monitor (1280x1024).

Re: New Menu Testing

Posted: 02 May 2008, 02:00
by Aaron Robinson
Thanks everyone! I've finalized the menu, so I'm going to lock this topic. If you'd like to discuss the new website design, please do so in a new topic.