Where do you plan on going after closing?

General discussion about SimAirline.net and its airlines.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Where do you plan on going after closing?

Post by Aaron Robinson » 02 Apr 2010, 17:57

We are now in the final weeks of SimAirline.net. Many of you have doubtless started looking for new organizations, and many have not yet thought about it. We will be releasing a list of suggested VAs upon closing, but in the meantime, I encourage you to share here where you will be moving to.

May I suggest including the following information?
-VA name
-link to their site (not previously allowed, it's ok now)
-what they offer
-why you're choosing them
-what you think of them so far
-other thoughts?

I'll start: I don't have any VA plans going forward, but am certainly open to supporting new or existing organizations in some capacity. Some of you may know that I have not flown a VA flight since 2003. I may get back into flying at some point, but with a private license, burning cash to fly the real skies is a little more appealing.

Finally, please note that we encourage everyone to keep in touch through our Facebook and LinkedIn groups. Maybe you will find yourself traveling to someone else's city and would like to meet someone new, or maybe you would like help in launching an aviation career.

If a non-SimAirline.net member posts here to advertise for their VA, the post will be deleted.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

DMM200
Management

Re: Where do you plan on going after closing?

Post by DMM200 » 02 Apr 2010, 19:13

For me, I've been experimenting with several VAs, some of which I've seen many of our own members joining. For Instance, I was a member of SimAAL from opening, but after being hacked into the system, an unstable structure, and to be honest, a poor representation of the real world American Airlines, I terminated my membership last night.

However, since December of 2009, I have been a member of one of our Codeshares:
-El Al Virtual Airlines
-http://www.elalva.co.il/home/
-They offer all types of aircraft operated by the airline (777 pending), an ACARS system (optionally; I use it), events, and a strong resemblance to Simairline in many more ways.
-I chose them because of my close ties with Israel and because they are the most established Israeli VA.
-Even though I haven't flown in a month (which there are no limits on resting periods), their structure is great. Plus, they offer a great amount of hospitality (ex: one of the owners messaged me on VATSIM during a flight to make sure I was okay and starting out well).
-Though this airline is not probably the first choice of most of our members, it is definitely one that I will stick with for a long time.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 02 Apr 2010, 21:31

While technically not a VA, I have been a member of the Virtual Pilots Association (VPA) for the past three years.

VPA is an organization whose members strive to make their virtual flying as realistic as possible. There are no restrictions on what you fly (other than that it be a real aircraft), or where you fly (other than that the airport be able to handle the aircraft you are flying), so being a member of another VA is not a hindrance with VPA, which is good since I have enjoyed being part of both VPA and SimAirline simultaneously for the past three years. VPA allows you to keep a logbook record of any flight, Commercial, GA, or Military, and provides a great deal of statistics based on your past flights. There is also the option to download an Excel copy of your logbook which you can use to create even more statistics if you are so inclined.

VPA also has a very comprehensive database of aircraft, airports, and airlines that is fully searchable, as well as built in flight planning capabilities (routes with Rfinder, as well as custom built weather, NOTAM, and alternate search capabilities, and airline schedule searches via OAG and Amadeus). VPA also integrates into both IVAO and VATSIM, but there are no requirements to fly online if you do not want to. VPA also has a regularly updated list of "missions," that are essentially a series of flights around a central theme with a few restrictions on what aircraft you can use for them. Not too long ago, I flew a four-leg mission that brought the space shuttle back to Cape Canaveral from California. The missions are also optional, with no requirements that you take part if you do not want to.

I know a lot of us came to SimAirline because of the lack of rank structure and limitations. VPA does have both a rank structure and "points" system, but there are no restrictions on your flying based on either rank or points. They are really more for show than to have any particular impact on your virtual flying. Another caveat is that there is an entrance exam, and if you choose to increase your rank, there are exams along the way there as well after the first couple ranks. The exams are intended to increase your knowledge of aviation, and are not necessarily easy. In fact, don't be surprised if you fail a few. I have failed a number of exams in my three years, but I learned something each time. However, it is certainly acceptable to never take another exam after the entrance exam if you don't want to. VPA also caps their membership at 500 (plus a few honorary members who no longer fly but still participate in the forums somewhat regularly). As of right now, there are 496 active members so there may be a waiting list to join. That number fluctuates regularly as inactive members are removed and new members join, so I don't expect the wait will be very long.

Since VPA tries to make virtual flying as real as possible, the PIREPs that you fill out for each flight are a little more demanding than what we use here at SimAirline. The PIREP form mirrors the standard ICAO flight plan form, and there are some additional fields that are not part of the SimAirline PIREP form. Each PIREP is checked manually, much the same as it is here, and PIREPs with mistakes will be sent back to be corrected (they are almost never declined). Even after three years I still make mistakes on PIREPs (my last flight was from Brisbane to Auckland and I forgot that New Zealand uses North/South cruise altitudes instead of East/West), so don't let that bother you.

After SimAirline closes, I will most likely not be joining another traditional VA. Instead, I will continue operating airline flights as I am now, though I may expand the airlines I fly, and just keep my logbook going at VPA.

I know there is a video available on the site, but if anyone is interested I will snap some screenshots of what the layout looks like for members.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 03 Apr 2010, 01:16

For the moment, I have no plans to join a VA, at least right now. What I plan on doing is try to load up on historic timetables (if I get to go to the Airliners International Convention in New York) and fly free lance. Eventually I may join a VA, if college work is somewhat reduced.

Also, I'd like to add that former member of management, Takahiro, approached me with the idea of designing a VA, similar to SimAirline. We're still in the planning stages (I'm hoping to sit down during the summer and think up the many concepts needed to run a VA with him) so if anyone is interested in helping out let me know.

Speaking about Airliners International, I hope you guys are interested in attending the event. I, for one, am psyched and despite my new school year starting at the same time the convention is held I will be there.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

goleafsgo
Pilot

Post by goleafsgo » 03 Apr 2010, 05:24

I am a member of Virtual Air Canada http://vacanada.org/ and Virtual Westjet http://www.virtualwestjet.org/. I have been a member of VACanada before i was a member of simairline.net. It's ok, the best Air Canada virtual airline currently out there. I just joined Westjet, and am happy with it so far. The scehdule is currently offline but i just use westjest site for flights.
Big thanks to DMM200 for the amazing banner!

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 03 Apr 2010, 09:35

I'm an member of BA Virtual

Offers: An professional atmosphere, Real World Schedules, Historic BEA, BOAC and Concorde Flights. BA World Cargo routes.

Why I've choosen them: I'm an big BA Fan and I wanted to join BAV. Entry Test can be a bit tricky but it's definetely worth it.

What I think: The BEST VA ever!!!! So professional!!!!!

KSEAGUY
Pilot

Post by KSEAGUY » 04 Apr 2010, 00:11

I will most likely not join another VA, I will probably continue flying on my own. I have quite a logbook of flights many of them non simairline.

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 04 Apr 2010, 00:11

I'm not going to any other VA. I haven't done any FS stuff for months ever since real-world flying started, and probably won't.

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 04 Apr 2010, 03:28

Well, I've been looking and really, there isn't another VA that offers what Simairline gave me, freedom to fly any airline, any route and aircraft. That is what I will really miss about this VA (and not to mention all the GREAT help I've gotten over this past few months I've been here). Currently, I'm with Delta Virtural link here http://deltavirtualairlines.com/home.htm And I'm Hub Manager for 3 hubs. It's kinda like here, except we don't have all the airlines. Was looking at BA, but here again, you have to start low and work your way up.
I wish everyone the best in all the future and hope to see ya in the skies (VA or real)
P. Alex Brown
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 04 Apr 2010, 05:57

I most likely won't be joining any. I've barely had time to fly even now that I'm home working on co-op, but especially when I'm back at college with no FS-able computer, I just don't see myself flight simming for a while. I've been inactive here for, I'd say 18 of the last 20 or so months, and with my 9-5 job, a girlfriend, Caps hockey, college and a PPL now, I probably won't be fully getting back into FS for a long time.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

flypaul2
Pilot

Post by flypaul2 » 04 Apr 2010, 16:01

Hi, apart from BAV virtual that i'm apart of! i'm also a member of a couple of others too! including http://www.flyvirtual.org which is a cargo based VA which offers alot of freedom choosing your own flights from a schedule or flying your own made up Charter to anywhere in the world! it has just about every cargo airline in the world that is flying today! also has FSACARS or manual pireps which you can use both!

Another great VA that i'm also a member is http://www.canadianclassicairlines.com if you like to fly the classics this is a good start! also includes Wardair (types of aircraft to fly include DC10, B747-200, DC8's etc!) uses FSACARS to log your flights!

:D
DMM200 wrote:For me, I've been experimenting with several VAs, some of which I've seen many of our own members joining. For Instance, I was a member of SimAAL from opening, but after being hacked into the system, an unstable structure, and to be honest, a poor representation of the real world American Airlines, I terminated my membership last night.

However, since December of 2009, I have been a member of one of our Codeshares:
-El Al Virtual Airlines
-http://www.elalva.co.il/home/
-They offer all types of aircraft operated by the airline (777 pending), an ACARS system (optionally; I use it), events, and a strong resemblance to Simairline in many more ways.
-I chose them because of my close ties with Israel and because they are the most established Israeli VA.
-Even though I haven't flown in a month (which there are no limits on resting periods), their structure is great. Plus, they offer a great amount of hospitality (ex: one of the owners messaged me on VATSIM during a flight to make sure I was okay and starting out well).
-Though this airline is not probably the first choice of most of our members, it is definitely one that I will stick with for a long time.
Very good write up! i'm thinking about joining them now!
alma343 wrote:I'm an member of BA Virtual

Offers: An professional atmosphere, Real World Schedules, Historic BEA, BOAC and Concorde Flights. BA World Cargo routes.

Why I've choosen them: I'm an big BA Fan and I wanted to join BAV. Entry Test can be a bit tricky but it's definetely worth it.

What I think: The BEST VA ever!!!! So professional!!!!!
I have to agree! i'm also a member! :D

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 04 Apr 2010, 17:36

Thanks Paul. I have three recommendations to join BAV (two here, one from NYARTCC on VATSIM), so as soon as I can get ahold of a joystick, I'm joining!

I'm also going to wind up joining a Southwest Virtual at some point. It's very interesting operating their route structure in FS (I got hooked recently).
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

flypaul2
Pilot

Post by flypaul2 » 04 Apr 2010, 17:53

DMM200 wrote:Thanks Paul. I have three recommendations to join BAV (two here, one from NYARTCC on VATSIM), so as soon as I can get ahold of a joystick, I'm joining!

I'm also going to wind up joining a Southwest Virtual at some point. It's very interesting operating their route structure in FS (I got hooked recently).
Maybe i'll have a quick look at Southwest's website too!

Marlin
Pilot

Post by Marlin » 04 Apr 2010, 19:21

I fly for Southwest Virtual out of the MDW Hub and here is the link if you are interested http://www.virtualswa.com/ I have flown with them for approx. 9 years, a great group of pilots. We use ACARS program for filing PIREPS. Also very active forum.

Marlin Yoder

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 04 Apr 2010, 20:56

Like several others, I don't think I'm going anywhere else either, this is my first and last VA. It's been a blast guys! But it's time to move onto bigger and more real things. :winking:
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

xXBuryTheDeadXx
Pilot

Post by xXBuryTheDeadXx » 04 Apr 2010, 21:36

I'm not going to join another VA. I have a lot more important stuff that I need to attend. Though I will be here for the last couple of days. I am going to miss everyone!!!!!
Facebook Youtube Tumblr
Thanks to Fraser for the amazing banner!!!
Soon to be Marine

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 04 Apr 2010, 23:12

I have one started and it needs some more members if anyone is intreted. It is similar to here with lots of airlines to choose to fly with and more coming soon. And the forums need some more peeps on them ;)
www.bourneaviation.com
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

capewellavc
Pilot

Post by capewellavc » 04 Apr 2010, 23:58

Virtual Ryanair... really Brandon? :P

I'm no longer really active in FS. I'm not active here and haven't been for some months, I have been checking this forum infrequently since. I have been around, just staying quiet. I took up rowing at the start of Uni a year and a half ago, this year I've been in the top boat so most of my free time is taken up with training.

I think my flying will be opened up for the sort of flying I want to do, where ever, when ever; without feeling restricted to Simairline.net airlines. You've given me a great starting point and I will miss the brilliant, professional resource that is Simairline.net. I'm a Computer Science student at the moment and in one of my projects this last year, I developed a logbook system for my own virtual flights which I will use over the summer when I get time.

On another note, It's been great being apart of this forum and online community for the last 7 years, I will miss Simairline.net alot. Aarron has done a fantastic job. Even though I've had my differences with some of you (Casey and Nick spring to mind), you're all great people to talk about my love of passenger commercial aviation with.

qdeltacrj200
Pilot

Post by qdeltacrj200 » 05 Apr 2010, 04:39

I been looking very hard for a few months and at different points of time had a different VA i was surely going to join but I think I have made up my mind and made a decision. Im surely going with Southwest Virtual. I was gonna write about it here last night but couldnt get to it. Im a CFII having gone to a 141 school currently instucting to build my hours and hopefully make it to the regionals so I want a professional VA with a real life atmosphere with manuals and procedures that will keep me on my game and help me a little while I have fun. I really like the route structure, the members seem friendly, they have been around for a long time so i think Ill be there in May. Until then I am flying as much as I can until the day simairline.net closes. I started flying here when i was a freshmen in college not even thinking about being a pilot. This VA helped me a little on making a decision on which career path to take and after graduating college and going to flight school Ive enjoyed every moment of it. Anyway i feel I owe it to this VA to fly a couple more hours until the very last day. A question about southwest virtual though, Whats up with the website for the LAS hub?

Blackhawk
Pilot

Post by Blackhawk » 05 Apr 2010, 05:39

I'm not sure what my plans are after SimAirline closes. I haven't been active in flying for at least more than a year. My previous computer started to get a lot of problems and could no longer run FS9, then when I got my new computer it had troubles running FSX, plus I didn't like FSX that much cause all my customizations were gone. But I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and found my FS9 discs, so I was thinking of reinstalling it and some point and recustomizing everything. I don't know how much time I'll actually have for flying as I'm going to school full-time and on the browse for a job, but I'll probably join on of the ones on here where I can fly less often without having to worry about being removed from the rosters or losing any data or anything.

It's been fun, guys! Thanks for all the recommendations.
Thanks to Nick Anderson for the awesome banner!