Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - The Dawn of a New Day

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 15:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dawn of a New Day
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 19:39 

After six and a half years at SimAirline, it seems almost impossible to imagine virtual flying without it. When I first joined SimAirline, I was already an FAA-licensed private pilot, with aspirations of moving up in the world of flying. Up until that point I had casually used various versions of Microsoft's Flight Simulator to just fly around and have a little fun. I certainly didn't have any idea that Virtual Airlines even existed, let alone the vast quantities of add-ons that were available (and how much as that grown in the past few years?). I forget exactly what it was that tipped me off to the existence of VAs. I believe at that time I was a subscriber of PC Pilot magazine, so they most likely had an article about them. What I do remember, is looking around online one night at work and thinking to myself: "This is a really great idea, but they are so limiting. I'm not sure I'm too interested in this."

Then I came across SimAirline, and the rest was history.

SimAirline not only gave me a structure to get started with simulating airline flights, but also gave me the freedom to fly what I wanted, when I wanted, where I wanted (as long as it was on the schedule :P). It gave me a whole new perspective on flight simulation, and I was in heaven (I'm sure the rest of my family members thought I was nuts, and most likely still do). It didn't take me long to realize that with my real-world flight experience (initially as a private pilot, then later as an instrument- and multiengine-rated commercial pilot), I could provide some good input in the forums when folks had questions about flying. I am certainly not an expert, and I am still learning new things all the time, but I enjoyed being able to pass on what I did know to help others improve their virtual flying. I also greatly expanded my knowledge of airline schedules. So much so, that I now have friends and family members who will frequently consult with me before buying tickets to fly somewhere. Who said that virtual flying wasn't good for anything? :P

Unfortunately I did not keep a personal logbook initially, so my flights prior to the current iteration of SimAirline's logbooks have disappeared (unless Aaron has them hiding away somewhere). However, since the first of April, 2006, I have logged 507 flights and 1,881.4 hours with SimAirline (that does not include a substantial number of hours spent flying other airlines, as well as GA aircraft). I did not keep detailed stats of my flights until I joined the Virtual Pilots Association (VPA) in February, 2007 (link in my signature), but since then the aircraft I have flown the most (by hours and number of flights) is Boeing's 737 family (classic and NG), and the airline I flew the most was Delta (not including subsidiary airlines). My most frequently visited airport is Atlanta, closely followed by Brussels and Houston Intercontinental.

I have not yet decided whether I will try to join another VA, or just continue flying and filing PIREPs with VPA. I have created a basic structure within which I will be able to continue simulating airline flights much as I did with SimAirline, so even if I do not join another VA there should be little to no change in how I fly. In fact, joining another VA may create more of a change than if I just continue on my own. Besides, no VA could ever take the place of the people and community here at SimAirline. It has been a great experience, and I enjoyed getting to know those of you who regularly contributed to the discussions in the forums.

It is sad to see the sun setting on SimAirline, but as the sun sets in one place, it is rising in another. We will all have the opportunity to take what we have learned here, and go out and bring that knowledge and experience to other VAs. I am sure that some of us will even take the knowledge and experience gained here at SimAirline into the real skies. I am more than happy to keep in touch with anyone who wants to. I have already connected with some of you on Facebook and LinkedIn. A link to my blog is in my signature (I really need to get active in that again), and to my Twitter account (though I hardly ever tweet anything). Also, if anyone has any questions about VPA, I would be more than happy to answer them as best I can. Good luck everyone, and remember to keep the dirty side down. 8)

One last screenshot of my last SimAirline flight:
Air Canada flight 33 at dawn over the Republic of Vanuatu in the South Pacific

Post subject: Re: The Dawn of a New Day
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 21:14 
Management/Moderator

It definitely is a sad day, but with all the nice words that people are saying about their time with SimAirline.net, it's humbling to see how people have grown in the past few years and matured.

I know when I started back in 2007, I had very limited knowledge of aircraft and all the procedures, so I spent a lot of time in the 'Getting Started' and 'Training' sections. If ever I had a really hard question about aviation, I was sure that I would just wait a few hours and Tim would reply with a lengthy answer.

I wish you the best for the future, Tim, and thanks!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 22:39 
Pilot

Well, sadly I have finished my last flight for simairline.net. I just wanted to thank everyone in this organization for a good time and inspiration to go after and do what I wanted to do.I joined in 2004 and wasnt even thinking about aviation as a career. Now I am working as a flight instructor trying to make it to the regionals. Flightsim and this organization has definitely been fun and I tried to find time whenever I can from the beginning of this year to fly in the virtual skies. My goal was to get over 500 hrs and I did it. When i knew i wanted to pursue aviation as a career i took time away from the VA and did the training flights on the simulator from Private to ATP. Most of my flights have been for Delta. I mostly flew the CRJs. I am not sure where I am going to go from here. I'm possibly going to get a faster, new computer and move on to southwest VA but not sure about that yet. Once again thanks everyone.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 22:51 
Administrator

RatherBFlyin wrote:
Unfortunately I did not keep a personal logbook initially, so my flights prior to the current iteration of SimAirline's logbooks have disappeared (unless Aaron has them hiding away somewhere).
They are available upon request (except for a small two-month gap between computer crashes), and assuming you entered your name correctly for every flight.

SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 23:48 
Management/Moderator

Well, we still have each other through Facebook, so for me it's just one less place available to chat. Even so, I'll really miss everyone. Like I said in my farewell entry, SimAirline.net was like a second family for me. So here's to the final hours of SimAirline.net!

It has been a privilege being part of it.

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 01:10 
Pilot

Dennis is right. There is facebook. Go ahead and add me. As long as we are all flying those skies... we are still one.

It has been an honor to have flown with all of you guys/gals!

Soon to be Marine