just an idea... about screenshots

Got a neat screenshot? Post it!

Moderator: Moderating Team

Would you like to see a central a.net kind of place for screenshots?

Yes
69%
No
23%
Maybe
8%

Total votes: 13

mynetdude
Pilot

just an idea... about screenshots

Post by mynetdude » 20 Apr 2008, 05:48

Normally you would find screenshots in a thread in a screenshot board.

But since my idea/question has everything to do with screenshots I am just curious it is worth considering my idea so hence my question.

Unless this has already been done, a link to it would be good so here goes:

Once upon a time I created fsphotos.net, that was like 5 years ago and at the time my knowledge about joomla and other CMS/Forums were limited and the technology was just fundemental and now 5 years later the technology has really advanced/improved and I wanted to see fsphotos.net happen again. I haven't been able to get ahold of the owner of the domain whom I traded with so I figure it is lost for good.

I came up with another domain name entirely different with some newer ideas, the idea would to mimic what airliners.net does except it would be exclusively screenshots of various simulators such as MSFS, MSTS/Trainz and possibly other racing sims such as rfactor and ARCA sim racing. Or I would simply just do MSFS only or MSFS/Train related. The idea would only accept high quality screenshots and several folks here including Nick Anderson would not have a problem getting their screenshots approved.

What do you all think about something like this? I have a few ideas in mind...

-Photo ratings
-Photo Commenting
-Copyright watermarks
-Send photo to someone via email
-Photo printing services
-Videos

Possibly something for VAs, not sure what yet.

NWADC9
Pilot

Re: just an idea... about screenshots

Post by NWADC9 » 20 Apr 2008, 06:26

mynetdude
Pilot

Post by mynetdude » 20 Apr 2008, 08:44

bah someone beat me to it... :(

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 20 Apr 2008, 09:34

Not technically. You can create one that accepts images such as flypauls that are morphed with real. They do not accept screenshots that are morphed. :( Sorry Paul.

Also thanks for that link chris. Have 12 waiting to be approved :)
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

DeanClay
Pilot

Post by DeanClay » 20 Apr 2008, 13:12

Are you sure they dont? I saw this one, which is mixed: http://fsimages.net/view_photo.php?photo_id=2813
By Me =]

mynetdude
Pilot

Post by mynetdude » 20 Apr 2008, 16:09

DeanClay wrote:Are you sure they dont? I saw this one, which is mixed: http://fsimages.net/view_photo.php?photo_id=2813

That is TERRIBLE! Whoever accepted that Morph and even did it need to be shot. The morphing isn't even done well, it has bad taste and well the "framing" isn't done well the aircraft is at the very top of the picture and the sky looks all messed up looks like someone put the plane up too high.

Actually I had considered "categorizing" different kinds of submissions... such as morphing, non edited, and pure editing but not morphed. I was going to offer it in a Joomla/Gallery/phpBB2/3 interface system.

I'd really like to know what the acceptance criterias are for fsimages and airliners.net so I can see what/how they are graded.

Martin the Warrior
Pilot

Post by Martin the Warrior » 20 Apr 2008, 17:39

mynetdude wrote:I'd really like to know what the acceptance criterias are for fsimages and airliners.net so I can see what/how they are graded.

http://www.airliners.net/faq/
You might have to fish around a bit, but they're there.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 20 Apr 2008, 19:19

DeanClay wrote:Are you sure they dont? I saw this one, which is mixed: http://fsimages.net/view_photo.php?photo_id=2813

Well they say they don't anymore and to not even try. Read-
http://www.fsimages.net/users/add_photos_intro.php?

UNREALISTIC:

The image lacks any realism. Also in the unrealistic category, any images that contain any parts of a real picture, merged with an FS aircraft (sometimes known as composites) are NOT allowed. All images must be 100% from Flight Simulator.

So they must have changed that from when they started.
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

DeanClay
Pilot

Post by DeanClay » 20 Apr 2008, 19:21

Hmm weird, i read that page you gave, which DOES say no real world editing. But there are still a host of Mixed images :? . Pretty Confusing.
By Me =]

mynetdude
Pilot

Post by mynetdude » 20 Apr 2008, 20:18

Ah well my idea would include more than just FS, Trainz/MSTS and such other sims.

But uh... I'd like to hold it to higher standards, real world editing known as composites/morphing isn't a bad idea just they need to be graded differently.

Martin the Warrior
Pilot

Post by Martin the Warrior » 21 Apr 2008, 16:18

It's probably a bit like A.net where, although the admission criteria have changed, they haven't bothered to take off the older photos that don't meet the new rules.