Airbus as possible replacement to Air Force One.

Talk about flying in the real world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

bigrobmjca
Pilot

Airbus as possible replacement to Air Force One.

Post by bigrobmjca » 22 Jun 2008, 21:33

I for one am mad as (insert explicit of choice here) that they're talking about letting Airbus build the replacement for Air Force One. No, Air Force One is supposed to be Boeing. If she's getting old, build another 747-200. Makes me so furiouss.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Re: Airbus as possible replacement to Air Force One.

Post by Dennis » 22 Jun 2008, 21:47

1. The Air Force can order any aircraft it wants to serve both its military force and presidential fleet. It has awarded a tanker deal to Airbus, so we may be seeing some A330s as tankers.

2. Who holds the last word on which aircraft can be purchased is the president himself (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When AFO was first thought of, it was Kennedy who ordered it. Bush Sr. then ordered two 747-200, the ones they currently have.

3. The 747 line is now closed. Only 747-400F are being made, while research is still being conducted toward the 747-8. Only in VERY RARE instances are production lines reopened (I recall a case with the UAE which ordered a 747SP long after the model ceased production).

bigrobmjca wrote:I for one am mad as (insert explicit of choice here) that they're talking about letting Airbus build the replacement for Air Force One. No, Air Force One is supposed to be Boeing.

Well, that's business for you. The A380 if chosen would be an ideal aircraft. The president can transport his/her entire staff on board, have a suite...it's like the flying White House.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 22 Jun 2008, 23:07

The A380 isn't capable of flying to 95% of the airports the President goes.

Remember that the VC-25s they have now aren't used daily, they're maintained to the highest standards on earth, aren't old and have very few hours.
They don't need replacing and when they do, it won't be the A380.

If it needed to be replaced today, I'd see a pair of 747-8s being ordered but that's not happening.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

bigrobmjca
Pilot

Post by bigrobmjca » 23 Jun 2008, 02:11

Dennis wrote: Well, that's business for you. The A380 if chosen would be an ideal aircraft. The president can transport his/her entire staff on board, have a suite...it's like the flying White House.
Yea well, I've heard it called the flying white house.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 23 Jun 2008, 11:21

Yeah, but I literally mean that if the A380 is chose it would really be the flying White House
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

jmmen
Pilot

Post by jmmen » 23 Jun 2008, 17:14

The Airbus Tankers replacement is not a done business.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/200 ... 8b_nr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 23 Jun 2008, 19:04

Not sure where you heard that AF1 is in consideration for replacement. Nick is right...these planes have a lot of life left on them. Any plane that has its engines hand polished daily is going to last a while.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 24 Jun 2008, 00:47

Dennis wrote:Yeah, but I literally mean that if the A380 is chose it would really be the flying White House
Debatable as the weight of offices and such on the upper floor may not work out, especially with all the stuff they have to add on.

I guarantee there won't be an Airbus VIP (technically not AF1) transport for the President of the United States. EVER. End of story.

NG Driver
Pilot

Post by NG Driver » 24 Jun 2008, 03:26

Care to post a reference?
Don Geddes

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 24 Jun 2008, 03:39

NG Driver wrote:Care to post a reference?
Me?

If so.... 1. The President of the United States of America has always flown on the biggest four engine Boeing aircraft, starting with the 707 and then the current 747s.

2. It's a symbol of our country just as many others (U.K., France, Russia) all fly their country's own aircraft.

3. The public outcry over the Tanker contract is bad, just imagine what it would be like for a replacement VC25 contract! The twin VC-25s commonly known as Air Force One are arguably in the top 5 most recognizable transports on Earth, replacing them even with new 747s will be pretty controversial.

4. The WhaleJet is unable to fit in 95% of the airports the POTUS flies to on a regular basis. Just last week he was in Iowa where it's a tight squeeze even for the VC25s. The A380 simply wouldn't fit. Practically this isn't going to happen.

NG Driver
Pilot

Post by NG Driver » 24 Jun 2008, 04:46

No the original poster.
Don Geddes

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 24 Jun 2008, 05:12

NG Driver wrote:No the original poster.

Just a rumor because of the taner contract. :winking:
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 24 Jun 2008, 11:27

Northwestdc9 wrote:
NG Driver wrote:Care to post a reference?
Me?

If so.... 1. The President of the United States of America has always flown on the biggest four engine Boeing aircraft, starting with the 707 and then the current 747s.

2. It's a symbol of our country just as many others (U.K., France, Russia) all fly their country's own aircraft.

3. The public outcry over the Tanker contract is bad, just imagine what it would be like for a replacement VC25 contract! The twin VC-25s commonly known as Air Force One are arguably in the top 5 most recognizable transports on Earth, replacing them even with new 747s will be pretty controversial.

4. The WhaleJet is unable to fit in 95% of the airports the POTUS flies to on a regular basis. Just last week he was in Iowa where it's a tight squeeze even for the VC25s. The A380 simply wouldn't fit. Practically this isn't going to happen.
1. Airbus didn't exist when the 707s were bought and the A380 wasn't even thought of yet when they bought VC-25.
2. Fair enough...that's true.
3. Why? A 747-200 replaced with a 747-8, controversial...?
4. That's what C-32 is for, not to mention that they can still keep VC-25 as a backup.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 25 Jun 2008, 01:44

1. When the VC-25s were bought in 1990, the A340 would've been an option though smaller and 2 years later it would've been on the table.
3. The current VC-25s cost over $325 million dollars a piece in 1990 and that's probably before all the Air Force Modifications. Try justifying a billion dollars to replace two perfectly suitable airplanes. The public will hate that even if it's a Boeing order but an Airbus? Lordy would that be a nasty PR day.
4. Keeping the VC-25s wouldn't be very economical, they cost a lot to maintain you know.
The C-32 is indeed an alternative but a much smaller, less capable airplane. The VC-25s can fit at most airports in the country and for those even smaller they do have to use a smaller airplane, drive or use Marine One. It's safer and more convenient to go as close as possible with the VC-25s.
If they could only use the VC-25s on 1 out of 10 trips, that makes them rather pointless and uneconomical if you ask me.

It's the President of the United States, he doesn't make stops to change planes.

THA346
Pilot

Post by THA346 » 27 Jun 2008, 01:32

Perhaps not now, but by the time any of the VC-25s would need to be replaced (because of a shortage of spare parts, for instance), which would be in many years, more airports would be capable of handling A380s (and perhaps -900s which would be 79.8m x 79.8m in dimensions)
Yvan Ung
VVTS FIR controller (VATSIM) - ongoing transfer to ZSHA FIR
155 AVSIM uploads, 60,000+ downloads

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 27 Jun 2008, 01:39

I don't think that's true, major airports MAYBE but the smaller ones the POTUS usually uses definitely wouldn't be.

Thomas auer
Pilot

Post by Thomas auer » 28 Jun 2008, 05:37

The current AF1 fleet has a lot still ahead of them. They may be baseline 747-200's, but they are arguebly the most advanced of 747's flying, not to mention customised.

The A380 is big, sure. But who say's big is better? Just because it's the President of the United States of America doesn't mean he/she needs the biggest out their (?). The 747 is well suited, heck, even the Presidential airlift 757's can do the job. Airbus? woah, i don't know the facts on this issue, but i am convinced that no AirForce1 order will ever go Foreign, but lets see if they can surprise us, like the tanker deal.

Those 747-AF1's have a long life ahead, if they are to change, i would be betting everything on the 747-8. It also has a much better environmental impact, lower costs than the A380 - projected, this could help with PR too :roll: