Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - Safety Card Collections

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 15:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Safety Card Collections
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 20:03 
Pilot

frogdude4993 wrote:
Aaron I agree with you. I have always wanted to collect cards but never wanted to steal them straight from the pockets.

BUT if I ask a flight attendant if the airline would spare one for my collection do you think s/he'd let me have one?

Has anyone ever obtained them by asking?

Taking them from seatpockets are pure no-nos.

Asking flight attendants are the way to go if you want to take them from the plane. Some say no (new-hires for sure, and a few others), but a lot say yes. This is even smarter in that they'll give you one from the stock bin, which is in mint condition!

My route - eBay. You can get a whole lot of stuff there, some of which has never even seen a plane before! Where else can you get safety cards from helicopters, defunct airlines or retired aircraft, cargo planes, and the like? :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 20:22 
Pilot

Well naturally I would go to ebay except I am more fascinated by cards that are in use, also having a card that you obtained yourself sounds like it will be rewarding and everytime I see it I'll be reminded of a good memory. And of course, getting them yourself is free. :D

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 20:51 
Pilot

NWADC9 wrote:
This is even smarter in that they'll give you one from the stock bin, which is in mint condition!

I can tell you that they are not always mint.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 22:25 
Pilot

My current collection:

BMI Baby: 737-300/500
British Airways: 777-200ER
Delta: 767-300ER
Easyjet: 737-300
Thomson: 737-500
Transavia: 737-800

Flights: 700 Hours: 3401:52 Miles: 1,468,840
* Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint *

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 22:46 
Management/Moderator

If safety cards are collectible, why not sick bags? They're free. For some unknown reason I have a China Eastern sick bag on the desk in front of me.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 00:25 
Pilot

sanins192 wrote:
If safety cards are collectible, why not sick bags?

They're collectable, too, and as of late, I have been collecting those on my flights. Frontier's all green, Midwest is generic white, Northwest is navy with text, and HLX thanks you for your criticism :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 00:30 
Management

You can always use them if you have to as well. :D

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 00:54 
Pilot

Is it illegal to take sick bags from the pocket?

Also does anyone ever take the magazines like SkyMall and the airline's in-flight entertainment mags? Those usually have a header that says "Your free copy, feel free to take with you after the flight." or something to that effect. I've taken a couple of those (mainly on Southwest) to utilize the routemaps offered in them.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 01:05 
Pilot

DMM200 wrote:
You can always use them if you have to as well. :D

I use them to stuff my boarding passes, ticket jackets, napkins, etc. to allow easier organization of memorabilia from my flights in my collection.

Back to safety cards, these cartoon characters crack me up! I found a guy that looks... just... wierd, a baby in the brace position in a car seat who has no clue what's going on, Mahmoud Achmedinnijad with a broken egg for a bald spot (later fixed in the Canadian Helicopters safety card; it now has gradient, a small child who goes from little toddler wearing overalls to a Chinese mafia member pickin' a fight in a yellow life vest, Waldo, Glenn Beck, storage bins in the cabin for fuel, fishing bait, and canned food, Gone with the Wind on a TV set I actually own (and it still works!), an iPod Nano, a kid with a severe neck problem, and a guy reading a safety card for a different helicopter than featured on the card! And of course, there's the woman/girl combo in the Northwest safety cards when they did photos holding seat cushions going from smiling and happy to frowning and worried with the plane tilting and them slacking on the straps (what's this supposed to mean, anyway?!).

frogdude4993 wrote:
Is it illegal to take sick bags from the pocket?

Also does anyone ever take the magazines like SkyMall and the airline's in-flight entertainment mags? Those usually have a header that says "Your free copy, feel free to take with you after the flight." or something to that effect. I've taken a couple of those (mainly on Southwest) to utilize the routemaps offered in them.

Why would it be illegal to take the barf bags? They're there for you to use and dispose! I don't think the airline wants you to leave your vomit-filled bag for the next customer to save a few pennies :wink:

As for inflight magazines, HECK YES! I book my tickets purposely to get two different months, I'm so bad! Midwest's been slacking there, though, and it seems as though they're getting rid of 'em or just don't care to replenish them; I never got a single one on any of my flights last summer. I found a few from the early '00s, including Northwest's 75th anniversary issue (heavily used, unfortunately) and it's amazing how fleets have changed ever since those magazines were printed, and even terminals! US Airways still had all of A, B, and E, and the end of C. Now, the doglegs of A and B are cut off, E is part-security checkpoint, part-gone, and the end of C is USA3000 and still international arrivals, and A is pure-Southwest in the few gates they have.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 01:17 
Pilot

Yeah I was just now flipping through an Feb. '04 issue of Southwest Spirit. It's like a time capsule. I hope airlines don't do away with them, although I don't know why they would, a lot of popular companies have paid advertisements in them.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 01:27 
Pilot

Some airlines don't have 'em. American was going to ditch theirs a while back to save fuel, but the advertisers pay the magazines' fuel tab and then some. Independence Air just had the timetable. Cape Air has a quarterly newsletter.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 13:05 
Management/Moderator

The best thing anyone can take:

pillows and blanket!

I took both on my CO trips. However, on domestic flights they reuse them so didn't get the chance to take them (not that I wanted to). On international flights, they're sealed so...FREEBIE!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 00:00 
Pilot

I only have an Air Malta A319-111 safetey card :(

high flyin' Banner by Nick Anderson
www.youtube.com/user/speedbird125
Find me on Facebook and Bebo.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 02:53 
Pilot

Since i have far too many to list, here are mine now as it stands:

http://www.aviationpast.com/Safetycards.html

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 03:40 
Pilot

burnsie28 wrote:

You win :P

Anyone wanna trade for a Midwest 717 safety card? :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 03:45 
Management/Moderator

burnsie28 wrote:

Wow! That's an awesome collection!! :smokin:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 08:56 
Pilot

NWADC9 wrote:
burnsie28 wrote:

You win :P

Anyone wanna trade for a Midwest 717 safety card? :wink:

Want an AS 738/9 card?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 20:44 
Management/Moderator

Dennis wrote:

pillows and blanket!

I took both on my CO trips. However, on domestic flights they reuse them so didn't get the chance to take them (not that I wanted to). On international flights, they're sealed so...FREEBIE!

I love your reasoning Dennis: if they're sealed they must be free. :lol:

I can't stand the material that they make flight blankets out of. Kind of a rough, irritating wool fibre. Give me a nice big duvet anyday!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 21:15 
Management/Moderator

sanins192 wrote:
Dennis wrote:

pillows and blanket!

I can't stand the material that they make flight blankets out of. Kind of a rough, irritating wool fibre. Give me a nice big duvet anyday!

The Duvets in Air NZ Business class look so nice! Do they have duvets for Business class in the US and the UK?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 23:59 
Pilot

FJ flyer wrote:
sanins192 wrote:
Dennis wrote:

pillows and blanket!

The Duvets in Air NZ Business class look so nice! Do they have duvets for Business class in the US and the UK?

Not to my knowledge. I never heard of an airline giving out down comforters, though :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next