How is the Cali fires affecting your home airport?

Talk about flying in the real world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Jacob Mobley
Pilot

How is the Cali fires affecting your home airport?

Post by Jacob Mobley » 29 Jul 2009, 00:08

Hey,

I just wanted to see how all of your home airports are being affected by the CDF's and other contracted aircraft that are fighting the California fires affecting traffic there.

At FAT, since we have a CDF retartdent reload and aircraft refuel base here, we are getting a lot of Grumman Turbo Trackers and C-130's buzzing over my house, some 1,000 feet off of the ground. Since we also have a large commerical helicopter business here, we are getting a lot of contracted Bell 212's and other helicopters flying around. I'v also seen a couple S-64 SlyCranes contracted from L.A flying over to reload and refuel.

I took some pictures of the helicopters that were supposed to be contracted this summer a couple of months ago. I'll try to post some links soon.
Professional Banner Courtesy Of Fraser Jeffery
Flying Is Life.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Re: How is the Cali fires affecting your home airport?

Post by seahawks7757 » 29 Jul 2009, 06:31

not at all. only thing cali is affecting sea is the no running water in lax. even then flights are still going.
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Jacob Mobley
Pilot

Post by Jacob Mobley » 29 Jul 2009, 15:43

Yeah, I meant to put in the title, "for you California guys", but it was too long. I'm just talking about the people that live in CA.
Flying Is Life.

Blackhawk
Pilot

Post by Blackhawk » 08 Aug 2009, 04:20

I know you're referring to the California fires, but I was at the airport yesterday and were talking to a bunch of people. The fires up here in Fairbanks were actually so bad they were diverting flights to Anchorage, or either outright cancelling flights to and from Fairbanks. It's rained up there since so it has cleared up a bit now, though.
Thanks to Nick Anderson for the awesome banner!

Jacob Mobley
Pilot

Post by Jacob Mobley » 08 Aug 2009, 16:34

Wow. You must of had some pretty big fires! No flights have diverted here in California that I know of, because luckily the fires are staying up in the mountains and out of the airports.
Flying Is Life.

Blackhawk
Pilot

Post by Blackhawk » 09 Aug 2009, 09:37

Yeah, we get hundreds of fires up here a year and some often burn thousands of acres, but most are uninhabited places so they don't affect to much.

Alaska Airlines cancelled 20 flights in 24 hours. So far, Fairbanks is sorrounded on three sides by fires. The Wood River 1 fire has burned 193 square miles. The Hard Luck Creek fire has burned 10 square miles. The Railbelt Complex fire (which is the fire my dad has been working near) consists of three fires that have burned 908 square miles. The last one is the Crazy Mountain complex fires, which has burned 688 square miles.
Thanks to Nick Anderson for the awesome banner!

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 09 Aug 2009, 13:37

It looks like Fairbanks service is resuming.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10868661

Jacob Mobley
Pilot

Post by Jacob Mobley » 09 Aug 2009, 18:36

Yeah as I listen to my scanner near Santa Maria public airport, from all the c-130's and Air Tractors calling in, the fires must be getting worse down here in SoCal! The news was saying that the huge fires down here are in remote areas away from house and people, but they're hard to get to, and the CDF's aircraft any many other ground fire departments are battling them.
Flying Is Life.