Lockerbie bomber hoping for release

Talk about flying in the real world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

RatherBFlyin

Lockerbie bomber hoping for release

Post by RatherBFlyin » 18 Aug 2009, 19:06

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europ ... pstoryview

I'm not sure where I stand on this one. If it does turn out that al Megrahi actually did not have anything to do with the Pan Am Lockerbie explosion, and it sort of looks like that may be the case, then by all means let him go free. If it is determined that he WAS responsible, I don't think he should be allowed to return to Libya even if he does have terminal cancer. In any case, since he dropped his appeal the only thing he can hope for is for the Scottish courts to grant him his freedom due to his current medical condition. That is something I personally hope doesn't happen. If he goes free, let it be because reexamined evidence exonerated him, not because he is sick.

(Not sure if this should go in Non-Aviation or Aviation, so I posted here since it is a new development of a very old case)

RatherBFlyin

Re: Lockerbie bomber hoping for release

Post by RatherBFlyin » 20 Aug 2009, 19:44

It looks like they decided to let him go home to Libya after all. Even though Libya said there would be no "heroes welcome," there were still hundreds of people at the airport waving flags when he arrived.

flybywire22
Pilot

Post by flybywire22 » 21 Aug 2009, 16:33

Absolutely disgusting...saw him getting off the plane on the news the other day. That is exactly what he got, a heros welcome. Very dissapointed in the Scottish justice system.

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 21 Aug 2009, 16:58

flybywire22 wrote:Absolutely disgusting...saw him getting off the plane on the news the other day. That is exactly what he got, a heros welcome. Very dissapointed in the Scottish justice system.
Dont want to start an fight, but the US has surely also done such Mistakes!

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 21 Aug 2009, 17:42

Yeah that's pretty messed up. Sentenced to life means LIFE in prison, I don't care if he is dying from cancer, he mass-murdered hundreds of people and now he's out. That's wrong.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 22 Aug 2009, 03:47

alma343 wrote:
flybywire22 wrote:Absolutely disgusting...saw him getting off the plane on the news the other day. That is exactly what he got, a heros welcome. Very dissapointed in the Scottish justice system.
And how is that relevant here?

flybywire22
Pilot

Post by flybywire22 » 22 Aug 2009, 04:19

Ok then, let me clarify, I am very dissapointed in the Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill for making such a stupid decision; and when did I boast the U.S hasn't made mistakes? I mean look at us now, we have Barack Obama for a president. How much worse of a mistake can a nation make?

Jacob Mobley
Pilot

Post by Jacob Mobley » 22 Aug 2009, 06:23

flybywire22 wrote:
Ok then, let me clarify, I am very dissapointed in the Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill for making such a stupid decision; and when did I boast the U.S hasn't made mistakes? I mean look at us now, we have Barack Obama for a president. How much worse of a mistake can a nation make?
I agree, and to go on with this, name one other thing that the US has done with letting terriosts go.
Professional Banner Courtesy Of Fraser Jeffery
Flying Is Life.

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 22 Aug 2009, 06:51

Perhaps the TSA not realizing that several people currently on the no-fly list have FAA-issued pilots licenses? Well, had. The FAA revoked them when it came to light.

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 24 Aug 2009, 02:17

All I'm gonna say bout this is:
He and his friends didn't give a dam if anyone on that plane 21yrs ago had a mother, father, daughter, son they just left or had waiting for them in NY. Didn't care if they were dying or just born. There's no excuse for what the Scottish Goverment did and they know it. Period. I say if he's not dead within 90 days, he should go back to prison.
And on the flip side...who would you rather see in the White House...some guy up in the age that might keel over (McCain) and then have his tv sports casting, sussie home mom bake me some cookies, can't remember what newspaper she reads covering major world events as VP ready to take over?
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 24 Aug 2009, 02:29

a.trailblazer7 wrote:All I'm gonna say bout this is:
He and his friends didn't give a dam if anyone on that plane 21yrs ago had a mother, father, daughter, son they just left or had waiting for them in NY. Didn't care if they were dying or just born. There's no excuse for what the Scottish Goverment did and they know it. Period. I say if he's not dead within 90 days, he should go back to prison.
And on the flip side...who would you rather see in the White House...some guy up in the age that might keel over (McCain) and then have his tv sports casting, sussie home mom bake me some cookies, can't remember what newspaper she reads covering major world events as VP ready to take over?
Honestly, please don't start a political argument here, especially because it's biased. There are the right topics for those, and this isn't one of them.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 24 Aug 2009, 03:15

Alex, please refrain from personal attacks towards political figures in an already sensitive topic. (Even if I agree with you somewhat)

Thanks,
DMM200 wrote:
a.trailblazer7 wrote:All I'm gonna say bout this is:
Honestly, please don't start a political argument here, especially because it's biased. There are the right topics for those, and this isn't one of them.
David, thank you for your efforts here but when it comes to laying down the law, please let the moderators do it. More often than not, telling people what to do just provokes a reaction.

Thank you.

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 24 Aug 2009, 16:06

Quote:

This comment was written by Flybywire22. My comment was in response to his/her (not trying to offend) about the United States having Obama as President, and they saying it was a mistake. Please, before you try to come at one for a comment, come at all. I defend any President (or person) that is looking out for the good of their fellow humans.
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 26 Aug 2009, 06:30

My apologies Alex, I didn't see the Obama crack.
I would've been pissed off as well, it's one thing to have an opinion, in this case a strong one, but there is a time and place for such comments. This isn't one of them.