Day Trip Question...

Talk about flying in the real world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

aman13
Pilot

Day Trip Question...

Post by aman13 » 19 Aug 2009, 21:49

Hi,

I live in the NY Westchester area. I was thinking about taking a day trip to an interesting airport to do some plane spotting. I would want to fly good airline, and go to an airport that would be interesting to walk around and see. Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Re: Day Trip Question...

Post by Northwestdc9 » 19 Aug 2009, 22:34

Well.... NYC is basically unlimited in terms of options.
Depends on what you're looking for and what your price range is, etc.

Day trips require frequent scheduling or at least an early morning and late night/afternoon return somewhere reasonably close that allows for time in that destination.
This pretty much rules out the West Coast unless you want to leave REALLY early and take the red-eye back.

A good one and that's cheap is Washington National, great place to go and watch aircraft over Gravely Point especially if winds are favoring landing on 19.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

aman13
Pilot

Post by aman13 » 20 Aug 2009, 04:26

How about TPA, or MIA, or even DTW?

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 20 Aug 2009, 07:42

If you want to make it over a day I would recomend ANC. Could get there with AS through ORD
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 21 Aug 2009, 06:34

Tampa would be ok, but since it's not a hub your spotting options are limited.
Miami would be more interesting and if you go soon, you may be able to catch one of the last AA A300 flights. A big plus.
Detroit has a fantastic terminal facility and would probably include a DC9 ride but will be limited to almost entirely NW/DL flights, not a whole lot of variety.

seahawks7757 wrote:If you want to make it over a day I would recomend ANC. Could get there with AS through ORD
From JFK/LGA/EWR that's just over 10 hours travel time ONE-WAY on the most favorable schedules, (In this case EWR-MSP-ANC) and not to mention over $650, to spend about 5 hours in Anchorage, 24 hours or so traveling over two days.

Probably not the most practical.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 21 Aug 2009, 10:13

Northwestdc9 wrote:
seahawks7757 wrote:If you want to make it over a day I would recomend ANC. Could get there with AS through ORD
From JFK/LGA/EWR that's just over 10 hours travel time ONE-WAY on the most favorable schedules, (In this case EWR-MSP-ANC) and not to mention over $650, to spend about 5 hours in Anchorage, 24 hours or so traveling over two days.

Why must you shoot down every thought that I post? You always seem negative and honestly it is very irritating that you must be so rude all the time. It is just an idea of a nice place to go for a little over a day or two. Honestly one of the nicest part of the countrys. And lots of 747 action.
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 21 Aug 2009, 11:44

The best choices will either be a gateway airport for variety or somewhere with close access for distance.

Variety:
-JFK/Newark, but you want something distant
-Miami would be a very neat choice--try to check schedules in advance to pick the most favorable day
-aside from lots of American/United at Chicago O'Hare, there's plenty here (but similar to the New York scene)
-Los Angeles/San Francisco for Pacific airlines
-Washington Dulles as an honorable mention, but anyone here also goes to New York, and you've probably seen them before

Distance to aircraft: I can really only speak for Washington National (former employee). You'd drive about a mile by cab or walk.

Other factors: San Francisco and Washington National both have small aviation museums inside.Can one still go inside the Theme Building at LAX? Miami and San Francisco both have very new terminals, while Washington's is just 12 years old and still a gem.

Depending on what you're looking for, your budget, and your time constraints (Brandon, please be polite, he wanted a day trip), I would recommend Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco, or Washington National.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 21 Aug 2009, 12:54

I remember being very disappointed to learn that the theme building at LAX was being closed, so I am fairly certain you cannot get in there anymore. I haven't actually checked on it though, so I could be wrong.

Brandon, I don't believe he was being disrespectful or rude. The OP was looking for a day trip, and Anchorage isn't feasible for an out-and-back in a single day from the NY area. If he was going to stay overnight and make it a 2-3 day trip, then Anchorage is a great option. I was actually going to suggest PHX, LAX, or SEA, but due to the time involved reaching those airports from NY, it would have provided limited time for any actual spotting. Not to mention how exhausted you would be the following day.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 21 Aug 2009, 17:40

Pretty sure the LAX theme building is open again. I had dinner there in 2005 and it was one of the coolest viewpoints I've ever seen but it wasn't cheap. It's an expensive restaurant but it worth it.

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 22 Aug 2009, 03:49

seahawks7757 wrote:
Northwestdc9 wrote:

Why must you shoot down every thought that I post? You always seem negative and honestly it is very irritating that you must be so rude all the time. It is just an idea of a nice place to go for a little over a day or two. Honestly one of the nicest part of the countrys. And lots of 747 action.
Because it truly is not that practical. If this was a weekend getaway, I'm sure ANC is a nice place to visit. But a daytrip, too far to even be considered. Heck, going to London would be quicker!

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 22 Aug 2009, 16:18

I would have to disagree with TPA as an option. MIA would be ok but I went to TPA just a couple of months ago and the plane spotting just isn't that great. One plus is you're very likely to see the SW737 painted like an orca- http://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwes ... 1294106/M/

I would highly recommend Detroit. For the following reasons:
-Huge variety of aircraft. Two terminals packed full of them.
-You'll see the newest of the Delta fleet (A330's, 747's) and at the same time the (soon to be repainted or retired) oldest of the Northwest fleet like the DC-9.
-If you're interested in airports, the McNamara terminal is the second longest terminal in the world, stretching 1 mile long. The only one to beat it is at Osaka with 1.06 miles. The tram gives you great views of the planes, adds convenience, and is always highly respected/appreciated by aviation enthusiasts.

The only downside of DTW is they have the new state-of-the-art energy efficient windows everywhere. Which means there are tiny black dots EVERYWHERE on the windows, which just murders any pictures you take from the gates. However I don't know if there are observation decks anywhere in the airport, you'd have to research it.

flybywire22
Pilot

Post by flybywire22 » 22 Aug 2009, 16:29

Those black dots piss me off :rmad: But, I agree, Detroit is a great airport.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 23 Aug 2009, 20:17

Right, pictures from Detroit are hopeless. Though the terminal is magnificent and the spotting, though limited mainly to NW/DL is excellent.

aman13
Pilot

Post by aman13 » 23 Aug 2009, 21:07

If I flew into the north terminal however, how can I spot in the Mcnamara terminal as well. (I don't think I spelled that right :) )

Also, how about ATL?

What is the easiest airport to get in and out of terminals from?

What in your opinion is the "coolest" US airport to visit in a day???

Thanks,

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 23 Aug 2009, 21:20

aman13 wrote:If I flew into the north terminal however, how can I spot in the Mcnamara terminal as well. (I don't think I spelled that right :) )
There is a bus between the two, but you wouldn't be allowed through security without a ticket. I hear the North Terminal is nice.
aman13 wrote:Also, how about ATL?
Do you like AirTran? They're there, but Delta still dominates. It's very impressive to see. Perhaps the best way to enjoy it is to just book a room at the Renaissance Hotel.
aman13 wrote:What is the easiest airport to get in and out of terminals from?
Kansas City, hands down. One can go from the gate to the curb in less than 100 ft. I was in Berlin Tegel this past week, and it's quite similar.

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 23 Aug 2009, 21:22

If I flew into the north terminal however, how can I spot in the Mcnamara terminal as well.
There's a very convenient tunnel that is available to everyone (regardless of if you have a flight at the other term or not). Aaron I went through without having to show my ticket.
What in your opinion is the "coolest" US airport to visit in a day???
The coolest I've been to are out of the country, but in the US DTW definitely can be described as "cool". For example- big awesome train that runs on a loft inside McNamara.

Here's the tunnel- http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1184/538 ... 45ea_b.jpg
Here's the train- http://www.visitingdc.com/images/detroi ... t-Tram.jpg

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 23 Aug 2009, 21:49

But not if you're flying in on AirTran/Southwest and arrive in the North Terminal, we're not talking about the regional concourse that connects via the tunnel.

You will not be allowed past security at the McNamara terminal if you fly into the North Terminal.
So you'll really have to fly NW/CO/DL.

aman13
Pilot

Post by aman13 » 23 Aug 2009, 23:59

Is the DTW indoor tram AFTER security? If I flew into the north terminal, and walked through the tunnel, what would I be able to see in the "south" terminal.

(I will most likely fly into the Mcnamara terminal, however I ask because I am interested in trying out spirit airlines)

Thanks,

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 24 Aug 2009, 01:48

aman13 wrote:Is the DTW indoor tram AFTER security? If I flew into the north terminal, and walked through the tunnel, what would I be able to see in the "south" terminal.
Take a look at Nick's map of DTW (not updated for the new North Terminal, but it's over by Berry).
http://www.simairline.net/downloads/ter ... ps/dtw.gif

As Nick mentioned above, the tunnel is between A and B/C. The only way to get from McNamara to North is via bus (a light rail is proposed, but many, myself included, think it's unnecessary). You will not be able to see anything from McNamara security.

Consider flying in on one airline and back on Northwest. But please, choose a real airline, not Spirit. American or Southwest, perhaps.

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 24 Aug 2009, 01:51

My apologies for the misinformation on the North Terminal. I didn't realize it was the new terminal.