Flying Milestone for me

Talk about flying in the real world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

frogdude4993
Pilot

Flying Milestone for me

Post by frogdude4993 » 15 Jan 2010, 05:32

I got to land a plane (real life) at an int'l airport! Big milestone in my career I'd say!

I had a flight lesson today, night cross country (dual). I flew the 51nm, 28 minute, hop from LOU to LEX and back and had flight following the whole way. My instructor and I were talking about requirements to land at Class C airports (such as my local favorite KSDF) and he said I have all the necessary endorsements. I said "oh, I'm gonna do that someday."

Then, while with radar services from Louisville Apr, my flight instructor called "Louisville Approach 66W request"
"66W go ahead"
"We'd like a touch and go at Louisville int'l before going back to bowman, would that be alright?"
"66W roger, expect right base for 35R"

It caught me off guard but I was ready for it.

So... I got to land at KSDF! My first landing at an int'l airport hub! I'm excited!

RatherBFlyin

Re: Flying Milestone for me

Post by RatherBFlyin » 15 Jan 2010, 05:51

Good for you!

My first landings at large commercial airports were at Greensboro and Winston-Salem in NC. I had to wait till I got to Phoenix before I got to visit a Class B airport. I owned the traffic pattern at Phoenix-Sky Harbor one night (had to take care of those night landings at a controlled field for my commercial license). :D

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 15 Jan 2010, 17:15

Awesome! Congrats, that sounds like a lot of fun. I've never done anything like that yet, largest I've been to was Lancaster...only tower I've flown to in fact. Think I'll go back for maybe one lesson to BWI or something of that nature at some point in the next year so I can just prepare myself for something like that.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 15 Jan 2010, 19:40

Beaver County Airport can get as busy as an international airport sometimes :wink:
One of these days, we'll head off to PIT, which would be even more exciting for me because I can finally see my house and be slow enough to actually point it out for once! Until then, the only airport I've flown into with airline service in a little GA plane (not a big one like a G-IV :wink: ) is KDUJ, and even then, it's just a couple CO BE1s a day.

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 15 Jan 2010, 21:37

Josh: I'd hate to be you! I love being 'controlled' so all my xcountry solo's I fly with flightfollowing (and I get class C transitions :D ).

Chris: Is there a landing fee at PIT? Most Class B are, as much as I'd love to fly to CVG someday I can't help but wonder how expensive it will be.

Tim: WOW! I love Phoenix (from when I've traveled there commercially). I'd be thrilled to do that.

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 15 Jan 2010, 21:53

There's a fee for kissin' PIT. I think it's $20, so no bouncing! :smokin:

Usually, us curious GA bums do an approach and then go around. Tower experience is no problem for us as BVI is a towered airport (and we own it; terminal ATC students go there to aid in the aeronautical embarrassments we cause daily).

Delta320
Pilot

Post by Delta320 » 15 Jan 2010, 23:47

Congrats!
Huge thanks to David Malinowski for this amazing banner!

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 16 Jan 2010, 17:19

frogdude4993 wrote:Josh: I'd hate to be you! I love being 'controlled' so all my xcountry solo's I fly with flightfollowing (and I get class C transitions :D ).
Ooooh Decker, I'm more controlled than you'll ever be. Living in the DC area, I have to deal with the SFRA. You screw up and you get yelled at by ATC. I screw up, I get yelled at, have fighters on my tail, get arrested, yelled at by the FAA, and have my license revoked. :laugh:

Its honestly not that difficult, but if you do mess up a few things it could get verrrry hairy.

And jeez, you do flightfollowing? That stuff's a pain in the ass! :laugh:
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 16 Jan 2010, 18:09

caps1237 wrote:And jeez, you do flightfollowing? That stuff's a pain in the ass! :laugh:
Disagree! :shock: How else are you gonna be talking to a Class B controller with a ton of "big dog" airline pilots? It's like LiveATC.net but you're in it!

Eagle737
Pilot

Post by Eagle737 » 16 Jan 2010, 19:58

Congrats and welcome to a "big" airport....
caps1237 wrote:How else are you gonna be talking to a Class B controller with a ton of "big dog" airline pilots?
For all the GA flyers out there that do want to come to the "airline" airports... please please please please please remember one thing... We travel fast. As such, while some things appear to happen fast in GA, they're moving much faster on our flight deck. As such, PLEASE be proficient on your radio calls... When the "weekend warriors" key up on the freq's that are heavily used by jet traffic and then proceed to give a dissertation on the radio, it really interferes with our operations... When you hear an airliner calling into approach (we're usually a good 30-50 miles from the field.. in our world, that is less than 10 min. from being on the ground; In addition, we usually will be carrying 180 kts MINIMUM to the final app. fix which is about 5 miles from the runway).... Other than that little pet peeve, the airports are made for everyone... so welcome to them!

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 16 Jan 2010, 21:12

Eagle737 wrote:For all the GA flyers out there that do want to come to the "airline" airports... please please please please please remember one thing... We travel fast. As such, while some things appear to happen fast in GA, they're moving much faster on our flight deck. As such, PLEASE be proficient on your radio calls... When the "weekend warriors" key up on the freq's that are heavily used by jet traffic and then proceed to give a dissertation on the radio, it really interferes with our operations... When you hear an airliner calling into approach (we're usually a good 30-50 miles from the field.. in our world, that is less than 10 min. from being on the ground; In addition, we usually will be carrying 180 kts MINIMUM to the final app. fix which is about 5 miles from the runway).... Other than that little pet peeve, the airports are made for everyone... so welcome to them!
Agreed. Although I'm still certainly gaining experience on the radio I use my spot of radio time as efficiently as possible. However I've never been on any frequency where there's never a break in transmission of less than five seconds at a time, so things aren't slowed down much anyways.

The other night at SDF there were like 3 planes on approach and one was a KingAir so it the radio wasn't rough.

Eagle737
Pilot

Post by Eagle737 » 17 Jan 2010, 00:21

frogdude4993 wrote:However I've never been on any frequency where there's never a break in transmission of less than five seconds at a time
If you make flying a career choice, you will get to that point one day... There are times even in the lil' jungle jet that we never get to check on with approach... it's so busy and congested that the first time you talk to them it is in response to instructions from them... without ever checking on..

Sometimes it's really busy but a guy gets that lucky break when they flip the switch and it sounds quiet... you can only imagine the frustration in the controllers voice after a GA guy gets on in the middle of the one break and goes into their award acceptance speech...

Either way, it is always good, no matter what pilot level you are at, to talk as professionally on the radio as possible... if you're only going to be a private pilot you should still talk like an airline pilot (even then we get tongue tied enough at times)... it's just one of those things that is important in flying. One of the biggest hurdles for some new airline hired pilots is learning to talk on the radio in busy environments...

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 17 Jan 2010, 04:10

I have had a few instances when I have had to deal with extremely busy controllers (genuinely busy, not Phoenix-busy). On initial check in, I give callsign, position, altitude, and that's it. If they need more, they'll ask for it. Keep the communications clear and concise, and you'll get along fine.

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 17 Jan 2010, 04:20

Right. I almost expect to have those types of crazy busy radio comms at some point, (hell I listened to it on JFK tower on the drive home today). It's just I never yet have been in it yet because of my lack of access to busy airports as a solo pilot without a full license yet. And even small GA towered airports get busy sometimes, I do well in those settings I think.

I would say my radio calls (even at class D towered airports) are above average, with the occasional mind block and stutter due to my lack of experience. If I can, I'll try to pull one of the archived mp3's of me filing flight following at LOU or something on LiveATC.net so you can be the judge :D

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 17 Jan 2010, 04:32

Oh, that reminds me. When you check in with ATC and give them your position, make sure you give them the right damn position. I still have nightmares about checking in with Deer Valley Tower about ten miles to the northeast and having another aircraft check in a minute later saying he was ten miles to the northeast, reporting over the visual reporting point I was just flying over. After a couple minutes of me in sheer panic mode wondering where the hell he was, because I couldn't see any aircraft anywhere around me, Tower was able to figure out that he was actually ten miles northwest of the airport.

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 17 Jan 2010, 04:57

Having five planes in the traffic pattern at KBVI isn't unheard of :smokin:

When I call up approach, I was taught to keep things short and sweet - "Pittsburgh Approach, Cessna 984BT". If it's from a handoff, they'll give the usual spiel ("radar contact three miles north of Beaver County Airport at 2,700, climb and maintain 5,500, altimeter 30.05"). If we're requesting flight following or something, they'll just go "Cessna 986AV, Cleveland Center, go ahead". Short and sweet. Pilots like that. Controllers like that. Everyone likes that.

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 17 Jan 2010, 05:06

NWADC9 wrote:Short and sweet. Pilots like that. Controllers like that. Everyone likes that.
Except weather briefers :rolling:

Eagle737
Pilot

Post by Eagle737 » 17 Jan 2010, 06:44

frogdude4993 wrote:Except weather briefers
What are they? :wink:

I just get a tree worth of paper that has that stuff buried somewhere in it... Granted in my world, it doesn't really matter... you're going to be going (98% of the time)

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 17 Jan 2010, 07:01

NWADC9 wrote:Having five planes in the traffic pattern at KBVI isn't unheard of :smokin:
Five planes? That's it? At Deer Valley we would often have five planes in the pattern for both runways, with arriving and departing aircraft mixed in for good measure.

detpilot

Post by detpilot » 22 Jan 2010, 06:33

Landing fee is only about $7 at Midway! :D That's a favorite IFR cross country destination for us, there's a great pizza shop right down the street, and the courtesy car at Signature is a brand new Lincoln MKS with paddle shifters. 8) Just FYI :)
**Professional Banner Courtesy of Nick Anderson**
FAA Certified Commercial Pilot/ Flight Instructor
ASEL/AMEL/IFR