Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware?

The place for all things not aviation.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Tom Alder
Pilot

Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware?

Post by Tom Alder » 24 May 2009, 16:37

What Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware software do you recommend? I am in need of some decent freeware Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware software, any suggestions? Thanks to anyone who can help.
Flights: 700 Hours: 3401:52 Miles: 1,468,840
* Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint *

DMM200
Management

Re: Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware?

Post by DMM200 » 24 May 2009, 16:51

AVG 8.0
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 24 May 2009, 17:13

DMM200 wrote:AVG 8.0
AVG is nothing unless you buy the full protection. It runs a diagnostic and finds error but doesn't do anything else. I should know because our home computer caught a virus and it's basically dead, and it had firewall, AVG, and Windows XP anti-virus.

If you want a real free anti-virus, try Avast. It's free and offers real protection, with virus database being updated every day. Best of all: doesn't affect the performance of the computer.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

Victor Meurtrier
Management

Post by Victor Meurtrier » 24 May 2009, 17:47

To be completly honest, in order to get good Virus/Spyware you need to spend a little bit of money. I can point you in the right direction, as some programs are far better than others.

You should seriously consider F-Secure or Kaspersky. They are both highly effective programs that can sniff out stuff that Norton and other scanners usually can't (I run F-Secure, and I think it is the best security program ever). You can try free trials of both, just click on the downloads page on their websites.

Thanks to David Malinowski ^^

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 24 May 2009, 17:52

AVG does actually work very well. The fact that a computer was able to contract a virus while protected by an anti-virus program does not mean the program in question is ineffective. There is no anti-virus program that will protect you from 100% of the threats that are out there, and any program that claims to do so is just blowing smoke. The computers at my previous job were all protected by freeware versions of AVG and Clamwin (I think that's what it was called) simultaneously.

Personally, I use the payware Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus offered by PC Tools. They do offer a freeware version of their anti-virus software, however (http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/). The company also has an anti-virus program for macs available, which is great seeing as how macs are now starting to be targeted by hackers.

*Edit* I forgot to mention also that both AVG and PC Tools are rated very highly by PC Magazine every year (as well as Kaspersky).

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 25 May 2009, 21:28

I find Kaspersky to be the best. It doesn't take a hit on performance (as Norton does), and it is swift at dealing with problems. There online help is the best. I contracted a nasty virus and I was able to send a log into them and they sent me a tailored program to run and get rid of it.

It is quite cheap if yuo buy the system builders version. Insted of £40 for a retail version (which comes in a big shiny box), the OEM version comes in a cardboard sleeve for only £12, for three computers.

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 26 May 2009, 17:17

I find Bitdefender the best.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 26 May 2009, 19:06

On the subject about anti-virus programs, it's curious that my uncle who works with the Coast Guard asked me to bring my laptop in order to install the anti-virus used at The Pentagon.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

Tom Alder
Pilot

Post by Tom Alder » 26 May 2009, 21:19

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, have cleared things up and everything seems to be back to normal, thankfully with no harm done. :D
Flights: 700 Hours: 3401:52 Miles: 1,468,840
* Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint *

Delta320
Pilot

Post by Delta320 » 26 May 2009, 22:21

tomboy1393 wrote:Thanks for all your help and advice guys, have cleared things up and everything seems to be back to normal, thankfully with no harm done. :D
Glad to hear it!
Huge thanks to David Malinowski for this amazing banner!

crash101
Pilot

Post by crash101 » 31 May 2009, 23:59

I use "!Avast"......and recommend it as Avast was recommended by my computer tech where I get all my computers worked on. It's free and they send a notice every 12months when a new Key is required(key is good for 14months).

Why do I like this one the best:::: it has a utility that once installed and the first scan is completed it can then create a virus free data base of your files, so if a virus is found and the files are corrupted then Avast goes to this data base and replaces the old with a virus free file in it's original format.

Google it, it is there.

Rick D.
"Flight is Life"
A Huge Thank You to Fraser Jeffery for the Banner.

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 01 Jun 2009, 01:40

Avast can be found at http://www.avast.com. There's also iobit, from http://www.iobit.com. I haven't used it personally, but I just read a little blurb about it in Inc magazine. It simultaneously works to improve system performance while providing protection from spyware and malware, and regularly erases your computer activity and internet history.

Anuj
Pilot

Post by Anuj » 01 Jun 2009, 16:01

I use Avira Personal Edition + ThreatFire + Spybot S&D.

Works great ! :)
SAVE INDIA'S TIGERS!!
www.saveourtigers.com
My PC : Asus P5Q Motherboard | Intel C2D E8400 3GHz | 3GB OCZ DDR2 RAM | MSI ATi 4850 1GB OC Edition | 250GB SATA | Windows XP Pro SP3 | FS2004 |