67%
Gatway (touchscreen PC)
33%

Total votes: 3

flyingking12093
Pilot

New Computer. Choices.

Post by flyingking12093 » 08 Nov 2009, 01:16

So my family is tired of me slowing down the PC we have right now... So I am getting a new computer from them. I have my eye on a few of them right now but I can't decide.

Asus (laptop)
or
Asus (tower w/mouse and keyboard)
or
Gateway (touchscreen)

I want a laptop but at the same time... I want the power of a PC. Any say on these. I was I wanted to build one but I didn't have the money. So... These are the candidates
Bryan O'Fallon

*What touchdown zone?*
Huge thanks to Fraser for the banner
Youtube, Flight simulations, Facebook

DMM200
Management

Re: New Computer. Choices.

Post by DMM200 » 08 Nov 2009, 01:48

flyingking12093 wrote:So my family is tired of me slowing down the PC we have right now... So I am getting a new computer from them. I have my eye on a few of them right now but I can't decide.

Asus (laptop)
or
or
Gateway (touchscreen)

I want a laptop but at the same time... I want the power of a PC. Any say on these. I was I wanted to build one but I didn't have the money. So... These are the candidates
Actually, building is cheaper then buying one if you know where to look. :wink:
I built mine with three other people. We built three identical computers with a parts list that I kept changing (the final list was a night before we went shopping for it).

In total we saved about three grand by building (which is obviously $1000 per person).

If you want me to be honest, none of those PCs are great for flight simulator (they will, but not if you are running memory eating add-ons). If you have the money, Dell isn't bad.
I highly suggest you consider building the PC though.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

flyingking12093
Pilot

Post by flyingking12093 » 08 Nov 2009, 01:51

DMM200 wrote:
flyingking12093 wrote:So my family is tired of me slowing down the PC we have right now... So I am getting a new computer from them. I have my eye on a few of them right now but I can't decide.

Asus (laptop)
or
or
Gateway (touchscreen)

Actually, building is cheaper then buying one if you know where to look. :wink:
I built mine with three other people. We built three identical computers with a parts list that I kept changing (the final list was a night before we went shopping for it).

In total we saved about three grand by building (which is obviously $1000 per person).

If you want me to be honest, none of those PCs are great for flight simulator (they will, but not if you are running memory eating add-ons). If you have the money, Dell isn't bad.
I highly suggest you consider building the PC though.
Well I went on newegg and I got half-way through the list and I was already at around $800. I was looking mainly at these ones.
Bryan O'Fallon

*What touchdown zone?*

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 08 Nov 2009, 01:57

Try a blog called TigerDirect. They're not where you want to buy the stuff, but it's great in terms of giving you tips on value for money.

As for where to look, there's a place called Micro Center with about 22 locations nationwide. I assembled my list and then brought it into the store with the prices. They gave me cheaper options as well as a better value for performance tip in some instances. There's one in Saint Louis Park in the twin cities area if that is anywhere near you.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 08 Nov 2009, 03:17

DMM200 wrote:Try a blog called TigerDirect. They're not where you want to buy the stuff, but it's great in terms of giving you tips on value for money.

As for where to look, there's a place called Micro Center with about 22 locations nationwide. I assembled my list and then brought it into the store with the prices. They gave me cheaper options as well as a better value for performance tip in some instances. There's one in Saint Louis Park in the twin cities area if that is anywhere near you.
I can vouch for MicroCenter. Great place with all your computing needs really. Anything and everything. The Home Depot of electronics.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 08 Nov 2009, 04:39

All three of those are painfully bad.
Laptops SUCK for gaming, it's a known fact.
The desktop is weak, probably better than what you have but still.
Touchscreen? No, cool but no.

Build it yourself and SAVE.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

flyingking12093
Pilot

Post by flyingking12093 » 08 Nov 2009, 14:54

Northwestdc9 wrote:Build it yourself and SAVE.
I can't build it.... It's going to be a gift from the fam. So I'm SOL on that one... If I could build one I would but I can't
Bryan O'Fallon

*What touchdown zone?*

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 08 Nov 2009, 16:48

Why not ask for the money instead and build it from scratch?
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

flyingking12093
Pilot

Post by flyingking12093 » 08 Nov 2009, 17:05

Dennis wrote:Why not ask for the money instead and build it from scratch?
My family won't give me that much money. If I did, I would only get around $500 and my birthday is in a couple of months and I get around $300 but that is going towards my flight. So... yeah
Bryan O'Fallon

*What touchdown zone?*

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 08 Nov 2009, 18:56

That's dumb, then give them the list of parts and have them pay for it....
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 08 Nov 2009, 19:09

Guys, obviously he won't be building it himself. Just help him out choosing the right pre-made computer instead of trying to convince him.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 08 Nov 2009, 23:11

FJ flyer wrote:Guys, obviously he won't be building it himself. Just help him out choosing the right pre-made computer instead of trying to convince him.
Thank you Frasier! That's the main reason I've never come here with computer purchase questions. Building computers doesn't always work for some; sometimes its parents, sometimes its lack of skill, sometimes its the need for customer service, etc.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

flybywire22
Pilot

Post by flybywire22 » 09 Nov 2009, 02:22

Bummer that you can't build one, but since you're going to be buying a stock computer, just attempt to find the most capable desktop you can for the money. Easy as that.

flyingking12093
Pilot

Post by flyingking12093 » 09 Nov 2009, 02:40

flybywire22 wrote:Bummer that you can't build one, but since you're going to be buying a stock computer, just attempt to find the most capable desktop you can for the money. Easy as that.
Yeah I would love to build one but yeah... We're looking for under $750
Bryan O'Fallon

*What touchdown zone?*

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 09 Nov 2009, 12:49

Since you put it that way, if those are the only choices you have, I'd go with the desktop.

Laptops suck (I should know. My FS is on my laptop, or it was until I had to format the hard drive).
Touchscreen=laptop.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 09 Nov 2009, 21:55

Well, I'm not much of a computer person (as some of you here know this) but I will tell you this.
Bout 2yrs ago, my In-Laws bought us a HP from Wal-Mart and I was running FSX on it w/a few addons and was great. Then my wife (who works for the County) got me a Dell computer that came off County Lease back in Sep for about $200. Works like a charm, except I've added so much to it, I'm gonna get an external hard drive for more memory (it was set up for County use, not much space). I say this because of the budget you're on. You can get a good computer from WM that will do all that you need, and w/service protection plan, you can take it back to the store for repairs or a new one (knowing WM, they prob give you new system). Dell will stand by their product as well. Happy hunting!!
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!