A personal note - New beginnings

The place for all things not aviation.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

A personal note - New beginnings

Post by Northwestdc9 » 23 Jan 2010, 01:48

I suppose the old saying is true.... As one thing ends, another begins. For me, as sad as the end of SimAirline.net is, the beginning of something new is making up for it, at least mostly.

*disclaimer* If you didn't hate me before, you will now. *disclaimer*

Because of my excellence in the field of computers, technology and aviation, as well as our family's many contacts, I have been hired by the University of Iowa to work in their Aviation Sciences / Engineering Department, specifically in their Operator Performance Laboratory located here at the Iowa City Airport.
The facility current does research, testing and work for such widely known organizations as Lexus, Honda, NASA, and the U.S. Military among others. The facility is home to at least one full 737 simulator, which I will be assisting them in converting into a 787 for upcoming testing with Rockwell Collins. We're also working on an L-29 and a Beech Bonaza to test a variety of projects. Now because of the type of testing going on in our lab, I won't get to tell you much about what's happening but let's just say that it's pretty darn awesome, as is the pay.

I am extremely fortunate to get the chance to work with the talented staff here at the University and to play with all their fun toys like full size, flying Fighter Jets. Pictured here: http://www.ccad.uiowa.edu/opl/gallery/l29/

So, as sad as the end of SimAirline.net is.... I've found my next adventure and certainly hope you do too. I will, of course, remain around until the end and continue to be here as normal.

Thanks and see you around!
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

seahawks7757
Pilot

Re: A personal note - New beginnings

Post by seahawks7757 » 23 Jan 2010, 03:37

YOU SUCK!!! :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

JKJKJK Congratz and have fun with the new job. I can tell you if you still have a smile when you walk into work after a year you know you still like your job such as I do still everyday as a ramper lol. :mrgreen:
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 23 Jan 2010, 03:39

Words can not describe how much I hate you out of jealousy, but pictures do: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad:

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 23 Jan 2010, 03:44

Good luck Nick! Glad to know that you are fortunate enough to have a job you enjoy doing (not too many people can say that nowadays).

Congratulations!
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 23 Jan 2010, 03:56

NWADC9 wrote:Words can not describe how much I hate you out of jealousy, but pictures do
And here's your picture:
:rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad:
:rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad:
:rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad:
:rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:
:rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad: :evil: :rmad:

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 23 Jan 2010, 04:18

Hahahaha. I think that's a first for the boards, isn't it?

Congratulations Nick. I'm kinda in the same situation you're in, only I'm doing a research for Verizon. Let's hope it all goes well (I'm claiming 3 credit hours for it so I better have good results.)
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

frogdude4993
Pilot

Post by frogdude4993 » 23 Jan 2010, 04:23

Congrat's Nick.

Because of my excellence in the field of computers...
You remind me of Sheldon from the show The Big Bang Theory.

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 23 Jan 2010, 04:24

You put way too much time into that, Chris. lol

Congrats, Nick! Wish you all the best.

Perhaps I need to find you on LinkedIn... lol

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 23 Jan 2010, 04:27

RatherBFlyin wrote:You put way too much time into that, Chris. lol
About 30 minutes :mrgreen:

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 23 Jan 2010, 04:28

Congratz Nick! I'm sure you'll fit right in.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 23 Jan 2010, 07:04

LOL Chris!! :rolling:

Congrats Nick, that sounds like a great job. Something perfect to set you up for both aviation and more computer work. Great experience it seems like.

My new beginning is the co-op I'm currently on. I'm working for an aviation consulting firm that happens to be the town over from me, and I'm in charge of creating and starting up some new training programs for them. I really like it...but hate waking up early since I'm a college student. :laugh:
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 23 Jan 2010, 20:20

Thanks everyone! It's going to be a blast.
I don't think I'm getting credit hours but the pay more than makes up for that! :D
On top of taking 16-17 credit hours in classes, I don't really need them anyway.

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 23 Jan 2010, 23:18

Well done on getting the job placement! Is this in addition to college / uni? I'm a bit confused when you start talking about credit hours.

As for me, I've got offers to study Mechanical / Aeronautical Engineering at either Bath, Durham or Manchester University. As SimAirline.net comes to an end so many of us are finally finding our way in life.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 23 Jan 2010, 23:58

When you work towards a bachelor's degree, each course you take has an equivalent of credit hours (ie. the hours per week you came in contact with the course). For instance, my bachelor's degree has a total of 165 credits. Some courses I take have an equivalent of 3 credit hours. That means, every week I came in contact with the course conference for three hours.

When Nick refers to having 16-17 credit hours in courses, it means he's taking about 5 courses (three credit hours each, or a combination that leads up to 16).

A clear example is my schedule. I'm taking 19 credit hours this semester shown as follows:
4 credit hours: Advanced Programming (ie. Java)
3 credit hours: Microprocessors
3 credit hours: Introduction to Meteorology
3 credit hours: Thermodynamics
3 credit hours: Statistics and Probability for engineers
3 credit hours: Undergraduate research (the research for Verizon).
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 24 Jan 2010, 00:23

Do the hours then contribute towards passing, or is it just based on final exams? Over here you just go to lectures as you please. If you choose not to go to any, the likeliness of you passing is very slim.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 24 Jan 2010, 01:43

Consider it almost a combination too. Unless you are receiving federal aid or are required to assist because assistance is graded, you're free to come when you please. And like you said, not going means your chances of passing are very slim.

In terms of what the credits do, you are given tests (just like in high school) or other projects throughout the semester and a final exam. If all the grades sum to be satisfactory or higher (ie. a C, B, or A) then you pass the course and you are credited for the number of credit hours the course was worth.

Your goal is to pass the courses and get all the credit hours for your bachelor's degree. Here's my curriculum. That's basically what each course I've taken is worth and what I need to complete. I'm in third year, I have over 99 credit hours already completed (basically my first two years, the first semester of my third year and some courses from 4th and 5th year).

Look at it this way. Say you bachelor's degree is worth $165. When you pass each course, you are given a specific amount of money. Once you pass your courses, you should have $165 which you'll trade for your degree.

flybywire22
Pilot

Post by flybywire22 » 24 Jan 2010, 03:12

Nick, you are one lucky S.O.B., enjoy yourself 8)

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 24 Jan 2010, 06:35

Thanks!
As Dennis said, this is in addition to classes, so that's a 36 hour work week, though with my schedule it's more like 45-50. I will be exhausted! But it's going to be fun! And I'll definitely enjoy playing with new toys both at work and at home with the money coming in. (paying off debt for now though. lol) Then we'll look into a new car. :winking:

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 24 Jan 2010, 14:49

So it's not enough that you have an Audi for your graduation, but now a new car? 8)

If only I had gotten that final number on the lottery, I would have a $7.5 million ticket on my hands...one off, just $1,000.

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 24 Jan 2010, 15:16

OK, thanks for explaining guys and good luck to everyone who's doing / about to do a degree.