6%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 18

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

What OS is everyone running these days?

Post by Northwestdc9 » 28 Jan 2010, 04:27

With the launch of Windows 7 now behind us, Vista a few years back and XP seemingly fading into the distance, I thought it would be interesting to see what the statistics look like right now.

At home: With the exception of my FS machine and a spare HD running XP on my Mac for things like COD5/6 and non-OSX compatible (becoming rare) PC applications, I have entirely moved to Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Leopard Server which is just fantastic.
On the FS machine I have no plans to ever move beyond Windows XP SP2 mostly due to the fact that I don't intend to move beyond FS2004 and I currently have it setup perfectly in XP. These days, everything else will either run in XP (COD5/6) or is available for OSX or can be run in OSX somehow. There is a slight possibility of one of my machines seeing 7 Enterprise for one of two reasons, either required for something involving work or if there's a really awesome game that won't run in XP that I just have to have, in that case it would probably get installed on a spare HD on my Mac alongside OSX and XP.

At work: We've been using 7 on some of the machines and so far the only good thing I can report is that it's shiny. It seems about the same speed as the same machine running XP, (on Core i5s 64 bit 7 v. 32 bit XP) and we (programers/technical people) are hating it's lack of backward compatibility with some of our XP plug-ins, etc. Not to mention the complete changing of such vital things like Control Panel locations, the new very irritating Windows Firewall and ungodly Security Center.
So far, we're regretting the move to 7 and will likely continue using XP for the foreseeable future.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

RatherBFlyin

Re: What OS is everyone running these days?

Post by RatherBFlyin » 28 Jan 2010, 04:38

I am running Vista on my main desktop machine. However, I am hoping to pick up a notebook/laptop sometime soon to use as a dedicated project machine, and I am leaning towards running linux on it when I get it.

Assuming I don't pick up a Macbook or iPad...

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 28 Jan 2010, 05:55

Using Windows 7 and loving it. For what I'm doing, its perfect, and I love the overhaul of the taskbar. Haven't had any problems with it and am very happy with the move up from Vista.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 28 Jan 2010, 12:44

Still running XP on my laptop and Vista on my desktop. I WAS hoping to jump to 7 on either system but:
1. My laptop will not handle 7 as well as I might expect (more on the graphics side).
2. A friend of mine told me that some of the programs both of us have made 7 crash. Can't have that while programming.

Another option I wanted was to split either my laptop's or my desktop's HD with Windows on one side and Ubuntu on the other.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 28 Jan 2010, 16:00

I have been running Windows 7 since it came out and love it. I don't need to run many legacy programs or do any programming, so Windows 7 is great for me. Much quicker than Vista, yet familiar. I did not like the way it groups similar programs at the bottom, so I reverted back to the tried and trusted method of showing all open programs. Apart from that it runs well on my machine.

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 28 Jan 2010, 17:27

Vista! I'm happy with the speed so I don't need an upgrade :D

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 28 Jan 2010, 20:46

Northwestdc9 wrote:At work: We've been using 7 on some of the machines and so far the only good thing I can report is that it's shiny. It seems about the same speed as the same machine running XP, (on Core i5s 64 bit 7 v. 32 bit XP) and we (programers/technical people) are hating it's lack of backward compatibility with some of our XP plug-ins, etc. Not to mention the complete changing of such vital things like Control Panel locations, the new very irritating Windows Firewall and ungodly Security Center.
So far, we're regretting the move to 7 and will likely continue using XP for the foreseeable future.
Are you running the Ultimate version? I'm actually able to run backwards compatibility on mine.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 28 Jan 2010, 20:51

I'm using Windows 7 and I've got no problems with it. I find it better than XP without an extra performance hit.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

jltope
Pilot

Post by jltope » 29 Jan 2010, 00:45

Vista here and I hate it. I have had a ton of performance issues like waiting 2 minutes for it to load my desktop after I have logged in. Networking is so much easier but I think XP was the best I have ever had. I want to goto Windows 7 but I want to wait awhile to make sure it works well.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 29 Jan 2010, 02:48

DMM200 wrote:
Northwestdc9 wrote:At work: We've been using 7 on some of the machines and so far the only good thing I can report is that it's shiny. It seems about the same speed as the same machine running XP, (on Core i5s 64 bit 7 v. 32 bit XP) and we (programers/technical people) are hating it's lack of backward compatibility with some of our XP plug-ins, etc. Not to mention the complete changing of such vital things like Control Panel locations, the new very irritating Windows Firewall and ungodly Security Center.
Are you running the Ultimate version? I'm actually able to run backwards compatibility on mine.
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, I don't really see us keeping it.
So thing as Ultimate, just for business level licensing.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 31 Jan 2010, 21:02

Update: I take that never using 7 remark back, I'm having to install 7 Ultimate x64 on 4th drive in my Mac Pro. Unfortunately the University's timesheet software only runs in Java on Windows. :twisted: After spending hours (should've been doing homework) attempting to get it to work on OSX, I have given up on that and am installing Windows 7 on a drive I had laying around. :(
To be used once every two weeks to submit time sheet info. That's sad.

Blackhawk
Pilot

Post by Blackhawk » 03 Feb 2010, 18:35

Well, I mostly use my desktop, which runs Windows Vista...Which I hate. When I bought my computer I got a free update to Windows 7 offer, so I'm going to be updating when I get around to it. Vista is horrible, and every time I've played with someones computer that runs Windows 7, it's pretty darn good.

My laptop still runs Windows XP. I've had the thing for about for years. I did have to do a complete reinstall of Windows about a year back on it, but that was because I let my friends fiancee (well, ex-fiancee now) borrow it for about a month, and she got something on it that would just make Windows keep restarting. But, it's back to normal now.

I thought about updating my laptop to Windows 7, but I don't think this old pup can run it. So, I'm looking at either a smaller laptop that's got Windows 7 (I really only use my laptop for college now), or go for a Macbook. I can get a good deal on a Macbook through my school, and I've really wanted one for a long time...So we'll see. I've gotta get a job first.... :mrgreen:
Thanks to Nick Anderson for the awesome banner!

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 09 Feb 2010, 19:36

My laptop and family computer runs Vista. The computer my wife got me for flight sim is XP. It does the job just fine. 8)
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 14 Feb 2010, 21:28

Now using XP for Flightsim, I've uninstalled everything else off that drive, leaving a dedicated drive just to FS9.
I took a spare and put Windows 7 x64 on it for other games like Need for Speed, Call of Duty, etc and for work purposes.
Laptop was also converted up to Windows 7 because I need it at work this week.... we need a clean install of FS9 and Active Sky to do a study for Rockwell Collins! Cool!

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 14 Feb 2010, 23:10

Just installed Win7 64 bit and it's one of the best OSs I've ever run.
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 15 Feb 2010, 00:04

Northwestdc9 wrote:Now using XP for Flightsim, I've uninstalled everything else off that drive, leaving a dedicated drive just to FS9.
I took a spare and put Windows 7 x64 on it for other games like Need for Speed, Call of Duty, etc and for work purposes.
Laptop was also converted up to Windows 7 because I need it at work this week.... we need a clean install of FS9 and Active Sky to do a study for Rockwell Collins! Cool!
Which version? I beat Undercover about a year ago, pretty good game, ok storyline (just as crappy as the rest of the NFS's). I'm wondering if Shift is worth the upgrade. Seems more what I'm into: real cars with real physics engine (not the arcadey-fairtytale stuff NFS has recently gotten into).

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 17 Feb 2010, 02:31

Yeah... Need for Speed Undercover, it's pretty good, I enjoy driving my Audis and Porsche 911 Turbo!
However the plot sucks, the videos are annoying as heck and their general user interface is painful. Do not port games directly from Xbox or PS3 to PC, cause it FAILS.

I haven't tried Shift, but like you, I enjoy driving real cars under real conditions. Let me smoke the cops in my Audi RS4 or 1967 Dodge Charger with 1,000 horsepower!

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 17 Feb 2010, 06:59

Ugh yeah, you just reminded me of the videos in Undercover. So horrendous. Thanks a lot Nick :laugh:

Blackhawk
Pilot

Post by Blackhawk » 09 Mar 2010, 12:29

Just recently got a free Windows 7 upgrade through my computer manufacturer, and after installing and working out all the bugs (pretty much just my speakers making static, which I just unplugged for a few days, did some troubleshooting, plugged them back a little later, and they were fine)....Best OS I've used so far.
Thanks to Nick Anderson for the awesome banner!