Decisions, decisions

The place for all things not aviation.

Moderator: Moderating Team

RatherBFlyin

Decisions, decisions

Post by RatherBFlyin » 31 Jan 2010, 20:07

So I am going to be getting a significantly larger tax refund than I was expecting this year, and I have decided that I will let myself buy one thing with it and tuck the rest into savings, or use it to pay down debt.

So far these are the options I have come up with:
1) REX
2) Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System or X52 Pro Flight Control System
3) 8GB iPod Touch
4) Kindle or Nook
5) Small laptop for use around the house, while traveling, and/or while flying on my desktop

Any thoughts/ideas/feedback/you-are-stupid comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Re: Decisions, decisions

Post by Northwestdc9 » 31 Jan 2010, 21:00

You could probably get the last three with an iPad, something to look into.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

flyingking12093
Pilot

Post by flyingking12093 » 31 Jan 2010, 21:53

I agree with Nick. Go for the iPad when it comes out in March. You can get a 16GB iPad for $500. Then get REX
Bryan O'Fallon

*What touchdown zone?*
Huge thanks to Fraser for the banner
Youtube, Flight simulations, Facebook

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 31 Jan 2010, 22:43

Hmm... the iPad looks like a big Touch to me. I'll have to see what they're like when they come out. As for getting something right now, I'd go for a controller of some sort. If you can get the Saitek yoke with rudder pedals and also another throttle quadrant. If you have enough spare money, definitely look into the display addons you can get to display your artificial horizon, among other things.

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 31 Jan 2010, 23:31

I'm not actually a huge fan of the iPad. I think Apple left a lot on the drawing board when they locked the final design specs. They could have done a lot more than what they ended up with. Perhaps the next version of the iPad I will look into, but not the current version. Besides, I can get a much more capable laptop for the same price.

I may actually take the Saitek yoke and X52 off the list and replace them with a new Saitek Cyborg joystick. After I made the list, someone else pointed out to me that most of my time flying is spent on autopilot, so I most likely wouldn't get the full benefit of the yoke/X52 setups. Though I suppose I could find other uses for them...

I am starting to think that the laptop may be the option with the most benefit to me, since I want to go back to school in the near future.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 01 Feb 2010, 00:27

I'd go with the laptop. You can listen to music and surf the web (iTouch) and useful for school work. But do be careful as to which laptop you choose.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 01 Feb 2010, 04:42

Laptop and REX. Can't go wrong!!
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 01 Feb 2010, 05:50

iPad?!?! You kidding Nick? :laugh: You can't be that obsessed with Apple that you think they made the right move with product, even down to the name.

I'd say go for either a Saitek, or small laptop. If your joystick is a bit old, it will be a lot of fun and a great upgrade, but if its working just fine, I'd definitely go for the laptop.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 04 Feb 2010, 01:15

caps1237 wrote:iPad?!?! You kidding Nick? :laugh: You can't be that obsessed with Apple that you think they made the right move with product, even down to the name.
Definitely with you on the name, it's BARF. The product is pretty neat, but I don't have a use for one with a 17" MacBook Pro and the iPhone 3G.
I am actually with Tim, maybe the next version.

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 04 Feb 2010, 04:07

Northwestdc9 wrote:
caps1237 wrote:iPad?!?! You kidding Nick? :laugh: You can't be that obsessed with Apple that you think they made the right move with product, even down to the name.
Definitely with you on the name, it's BARF. The product is pretty neat, but I don't have a use for one with a 17" MacBook Pro and the iPhone 3G.
I am actually with Tim, maybe the next version.
Exactly, same here. The concept is great, the size and thinness of it is perfect (especially if I was sitting on a couch or something), but when I saw that it was essentially a glorified iTouch without any USB inputs, I gave up on it.

Hopefully if they upgrade it to OS X or something more computerish in future models. :lol:

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 04 Feb 2010, 06:07

Perhaps we should wait and see what Google can come up with.

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 04 Feb 2010, 06:16

Oh man, saw that video...and I got so excited. Looks awesome, sucks it'll be a while though.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 04 Feb 2010, 23:48

I'm not into the whole mini-notebook or tablet or PDA type devices, I want to be able to do EVERYTHING on whatever it is that I'm using, I have enough devices as is, so I will probably remain a full laptop user for the foreseeable future.