The Buzz

The place for all things not aviation.

Moderator: Moderating Team

RatherBFlyin

The Buzz

Post by RatherBFlyin » 11 Feb 2010, 00:06

Well, it's been out for a day. What are everyone's thoughts about Google Buzz? I agree with some experts who say it will become incredibly annoying, but I also agree with others who say it will be the death of Facebook. I only took my first look at it today, and so far I am somewhat pleased with it. Have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Re: The Buzz

Post by Dennis » 11 Feb 2010, 00:18

Hm...I wouldn't say that just yet. From the looks of it, it's only for GMail users. I'd be pretty reluctant to sign up on a service with an email I'd just use for this blog.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 11 Feb 2010, 00:50

Never heard of it. Since I don't use Gmail other than for school emails, I don't think I'll be using it till I get an Android phone in April.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 14 Feb 2010, 21:30

I've never heard of it either.... this isn't another Twitter or something is it? Because I despise Twitter.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 15 Feb 2010, 00:05

Northwestdc9 wrote:I've never heard of it either.... this isn't another Twitter or something is it? Because I despise Twitter.
Agreed. Seems like its only for celebrities and older people who think people want to listen to your everyday tales. :laugh:

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 15 Feb 2010, 03:14

Actually, Twitter can be a very handy marketing tool, if handled properly. The other day I saw the person who runs Southwest's official Twitter account respond to two upset passengers within minutes of them tweeting their complaints. I have also heard stories of Virgin America doing the same thing, even going so far as alerting flight attendants during the flight when a passenger tweets a complaint from on the aircraft (using their in-flight wifi service). Personally I have found it quite handy at staying on top of a number of blogs I follow, and even using Twitter for updates instead of their RSS feed in some cases. I only have a couple followers on Twitter so far, but when I post an update it is usually a link to an article I read, or a re-tweet of something someone else said. I almost never post anything personal to Twitter.

Buzz is supposed to be, from what I can tell, something like a combination of Facebook and Twitter. It lets you post a comment, link, picture, whatever, and all of your friends (followers) can comment on it in real time, have discussions, debates, whatever. Still has a few flaws, but Google is already revamping the service based on feedback from people using it (stuff that really should have been fixed during BETA testing, if any was actually done).

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 15 Feb 2010, 07:20

Yup, I'll definitely give you that. Twitter is a highly successful marketing tool for companies or people building a brand off themselves.

But then you have people like my boss who use our company Twitter account only as a place to post small PR releases on new projects. I've told him there's a reason its called social media for a reason: its a place for two-way communication.