Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - ACT Standardized Test

It is currently 23 May 2019, 13:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ACT Standardized Test
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 01:04 
Pilot

Seeing as next week will be hell week for all Juniors in the state of Michigan taking the ACT & MME,
Do you have any advice for preparation for the test, or any advice for standardized tests for that matter?
I'd like to do fairly well, so it can lead to good college picks, and scholarships...

Post subject: Re: ACT Standardized Test
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 22:55 
Pilot

Here you go!
http://www.actstudent.org/sampletest/index.html
http://www.actexampracticetests.com/

Niles, Michigan I see, I've been there a few times when my brother went to Notre Dame :D

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 00:28 
Management/Moderator

Let's see... from what I remember, the Science was hard, English was EASY and the math is tough, though I suck at math so that could just be me. A lot of random stuff in the science section, if I remember it was a lot of biology.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 16:17 

Northwestdc9 wrote:
Let's see... from what I remember, the Science was hard, English was EASY and the math is tough, though I suck at math so that could just be me. A lot of random stuff in the science section, if I remember it was a lot of biology.

Yup. Science is odd on the ACT. Its difficult, but only because its one of the harder ones to prepare for. Simply put, you can go in without any scientific knowledge, you just need to know how to work with numbers and observations, and explain how to provide results within the experiment.

Funny ACT story, my worst section when practicing was Reading. I'd always get a 28...29. Something around there. When the test came, I aced it, got a 36 and didn't miss a question (don't know how the HELL I did it :laugh: ), which was perfect because I didn't do too hot on the sections I was supposed to do well on, and it balanced it all out.

The ACT is my friend. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 22:45 

Quote:
The ACT is my friend

Mine too!

ASEL/AMEL/IFR

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 02:00 
Management/Moderator

The ACT is headquartered in my town, don't like your score? Welll............. seeing as I know people who's parents work there.... :rolling: I wish!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 06:34 
Pilot

I've never taken my ACTs or SATs...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 12:22 
Pilot

I'm taking the SATs this year. 2 subject tests and the reasoning one as well.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 13:28 
Management/Moderator

So, ACTs are an equivalent of SATs...right? What we take we call by default the College Board. SATs are necessary only if you intend to apply to a US college or abroad.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 14:27 
Pilot

Dennis wrote:
So, ACTs are an equivalent of SATs...right? What we take we call by default the College Board. SATs are necessary only if you intend to apply to a US college or abroad.

That's why I'm taking them. I don't want to do my under grad in India.

:)

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 15:44 

Dennis wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. The SATs are owned by College Board, so what you call College Board is probably very similar to the SATs in fact.

But yup, the ACTs are an equivalent to the SATs. Both tests take a slightly different approach (SAT is more logic based while ACT tries to sort out pure knowledge a bit more), and schools have finally settled into accepting both with even weight (used to weigh/rely on the SAT more heavily...not the case anymore).

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 16:50 
Management/Moderator

[/quote]
Yeah that makes sense. The SATs are owned by College Board, so what you call College Board is probably very similar to the SATs in fact.[/quote]

It follows the same approach as SATs. They're from College Board, but these tests are in Spanish (except the English part, of course) and we don't have a name for them except College Board. SATs are acceptable but "College Board" is preferred.

I also took the AP tests. I skipped my whole year of Spanish and was placed in Advanced English. However, I chickened out of the Precalculus AP after I read the review manual the very same day. Ten students were scheduled to take it and only 5 took it. The rest of us asked not to be examined and got a full refund.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 03:02 
Pilot

Thank you guys for the prep help, I looked at those sites, and studied material my school gave me.
So far 2 days down and one more to go.
The ACT part is out of the way though, I took the ACT Plus Writing on Tuesday, and the ACT WorkKeys today.
I feel pretty well about the ACT, and the WorkKeys was really easy.
Now tomorrow is Michigan Math, Science, & Social Studies.
Then Friday, No School for the Juniors! A break from all the testing we've been doing.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 16:08 

Dennis wrote:
Quote:
Yeah that makes sense. The SATs are owned by College Board, so what you call College Board is probably very similar to the SATs in fact.

It follows the same approach as SATs. They're from College Board, but these tests are in Spanish (except the English part, of course) and we don't have a name for them except College Board. SATs are acceptable but "College Board" is preferred.

I also took the AP tests. I skipped my whole year of Spanish and was placed in Advanced English. However, I chickened out of the Precalculus AP after I read the review manual the very same day. Ten students were scheduled to take it and only 5 took it. The rest of us asked not to be examined and got a full refund.

Lucky LUCKY. My high school pumped out about 1500-2000 AP tests a year, so if you ever tried to pull out, there was no way you'd ever see your money again. :P

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 19:54 
Management/Moderator

caps1237 wrote:
Lucky LUCKY. My high school pumped out about 1500-2000 AP tests a year, so if you ever tried to pull out, there was no way you'd ever see your money again. :P

Well, we never opened the test's plastic cover so it's as if we never actually took it. It's like a movie. Once opened, it's non refundable.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 21:31 

Dennis wrote:
caps1237 wrote:

Well, we never opened the test's plastic cover so it's as if we never actually took it. It's like a movie. Once opened, it's non refundable.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Unless you tried to withdraw a week or so after you signed up, there was no way you'd be able to get your money back whether you saw the test or not. You'd get way too stick from all the red tape you've got to traipse through. :laugh: