Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - Health care...

It is currently 23 May 2019, 14:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Health care...
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 23:34 
Management/Moderator

Let's try to enliven the boards up with our remaining members.

Fair warning: this is to debate, not criticize each other. You know the drill :winking:

So since Obama took office, one of his most important priorities is to overhaul and reform the health care system that the US currently has. Some Americans however are not too fond of the idea and look for any way to stop it. In Congress a very similar stance is taking place, with Republicans firmly opposed to the current bill and from the looks of it, it seems like an uphill race.

What are your views on this bill?

Here are mine:
1. For starters, I think that making citizens choose a health care is not OK. Despite many Americans being unable to pay their health bills, it is up to them to decide whether to be insured or not.
2. I find the idea that the budget deficit will increase is a little preposterous. A war makes a budget deficit increase, yet you don't hear people complaining. Did we really need to go to war? No. Do people need health care? Yes. So why protest against something you really need and not against something you don't need?
3. It's not that I'm a Democrat, but I still don't understand how Republicans think they'll win the elections this November just by voting against a bill. Sure, people are upset with Democrats, but let's not forget that Republican policies for 8 years drove the nation into a budget deficit and while resources were spent on TWO wars, at home, barely anything changed. There's a statement Obama mentioned in his State of the Union that I will never forget:
"We cannot wage a perpetual campaign where the only goal is to see who can get the most embarrassing headlines about their opponent – a belief that if you lose, I win. Neither party should delay or obstruct every single bill just because they can. The confirmation of well-qualified public servants should not be held hostage to the pet projects or grudges of a few individual Senators. Washington may think that saying anything about the other side, no matter how false, is just part of the game. But it is precisely such politics that has stopped either party from helping the American people...To Democrats, I would remind you that we still have the largest majority in decades, and the people expect us to solve some problems, not run for the hills. And if the Republican leadership is going to insist that sixty votes in the Senate are required to do any business at all in this town, then the responsibility to govern is now yours as well. Just saying no to everything may be good short-term politics, but it’s not leadership. We were sent here to serve our citizens, not our ambitions."
So if Republicans are eager to serve the citizens that elected them (not the companies), then why don't they bring solutions as well? It's easy to say: "No, no no, that's wrong...", but it's even better if you explain why.

Post subject: Re: Health care...
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 01:36 
Management/Moderator

1. While this bill is progress it's small and appears to do little for me except raise my premiums to subsidize all the preconditioned patients now becoming insured.
2. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..... remember that? Yeah, life implies being alive therefore having decent health = healthcare.
3. Deficit is already massive and a result of a pointless war, thanks Dubbya, at this point, what's an extra trillion? Really? We're so screwed already that it really doesn't matter, and as they've said, we're not supposed to be adding to it with the bill.
4. I, along with the majority of my family (conservative here, and a doctor) support moving to an England/Canada style system, our taxes are already high, and I see little benefit, I'd be happy to pay an extra % and actually get something, say free healthcare. 1% would be less than the premiums I already pay.

P.S. I HATE insurance companies and these medical companies are disgusting monsters completely destroying the american lifestyle with OUTRAGEOUS premiums and minimal services. It's horrific and this bill might help but we need to go A LOT farther.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 03:07 
Pilot

My post has foul language in it so I shall leave it in the one place I posted it on Facebook if you would like to read it.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 03:24 
Management/Moderator

You can tone it down a bit:
Quote:
Swear words are occasionally acceptable, depending on the context. Gratuitous and repeated use is not permitted.

The F word, which I saw in your post, can be substituted by "screw".

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 04:43 

Unfortunately I am one of those Americans that the insurance companies consider "uninsurable" due to pre-existing conditions (skin cancer, which has been completely removed, and an on-again-off-again back problem). I think this health care bill is a good first step, but it is certainly not a solution to the problem. There is still a lot of work to be done, and it won't get done as long as the politicians are more concerned with gathering votes to stay in office rather than actually getting stuff done.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 07:52 
Pilot

I don't have too much to say, really. Just that it should be the citizens right to choose healthcare, not be forced to. While I'm on my parents insurance (college student), it will completely screw my parents now with the insurance they have (yes, government health insurance will actually screw my parents with their private health insurance). I'm with the states making laws (including mine), to give states and their citizens the right whether or not to choose health care and not punishing their citizens if they don't. If no other states get their law off the ground, I'll just move to Idaho (which has passed it).

That's about all I care to say right now. I've got to get back to homework...

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 14:18 

Matthew, just out of curiosity, where in the bill does it say that it will mess up your parents' existing health insurance?

I think the most important benefit of the bill is that it will prevent insurance companies from denying/dropping coverage of individuals who are already sick with a major illness, or had a major problem in the past. Once that happens, I think we will find that the vast majority of Americans want to have health insurance, the insurance companies just would not cover them in the past.

By the way, this certainly is not the end of the matter on health care reform. The compromise bill has to go back to the Senate, and if anything changes there, it is going to have to go back to the House again.