Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - ATC training

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 01:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ATC training
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 02:47 
Management/Moderator

I figured that if I can't be in the skies, I might as well be in a tower directing traffic. The question is, does the FAA train people to become ATCs? Or must they go through private (that is, go to an aviation college or school) education to get certified?

Post subject: Re: ATC training
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 04:07 

That is a question I have also pondered. Unfortunately the FAA's website is not terribly clear on the subject.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 16:12 

Apparently all you need is a snow day and a father who works in a tower already. :laugh:

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 19:01 
Pilot

caps1237 wrote:
Apparently all you need is a snow day and a father who works in a tower already. :laugh:

Was about to say the same thing :P :rolling:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 01:58 
Management/Moderator

Ahaha, yeah that was probably not the best move. Would be awesome though!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 06:31 
Pilot

I think you can get it both ways (at least this is what my friend who is an air traffic controller told me back in July of last year). He did say that having a degree in ATC makes your time in Oklahoma City shorter (I believe you have to take FAA classes for them to hire you, compared to working for a private controller). I think he said he went for 3 months, while someone without a degree would have 5 months or so of training at FAA.

A good place to go is University of Alaska-Anchorage! :rolling: Sorry, had to drop my school in there. I got to see their programs for both Professional Piloting and Air Traffic Control. They have two stationary and one hydraulic system aircraft simulators, as well as Diamond DA20 aircraft for flight training; their ATC program has a full 360 degree tower simulator, which I've luckily had the opportunity to play with. It's very good (I also got to fly the full hydraulic sim...Cessna 208, was fun!).

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 13:57 
Management/Moderator

Blackhawk wrote:
A good place to go is University of Alaska-Anchorage! :rolling: ...

If I could stay at your place I wouldn't have any problems going there... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 06:58 
Pilot

Or you can go to the best ATC college in the nation, which ironically is a community college ;-)

Yes, I'm talking about Community College of Beaver County, where I go as a Pro. Pilot major. One of the few places where you'll see student controllers controlling student pilots in real life (and believe me, some of those kids are idiots, both in the cab and in the cockpit).

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 21:49 

Quote:
One of the few places where you'll see student controllers controlling student pilots in real life (and believe me, some of those kids are idiots, both in the cab and in the cockpit).

There are trainee controllers all over the place- we have 2 in the tower at AZO. I tend to avoid that airport like the plague now, but when they are working the approach control- well it gets hairy. It is funny to hear the instructor jump in and fix the errors though. Granted, the student controllers are FAA employees, not WMU students...

ASEL/AMEL/IFR

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 01:15 
Pilot

detpilot wrote:
Quote:
One of the few places where you'll see student controllers controlling student pilots in real life (and believe me, some of those kids are idiots, both in the cab and in the cockpit).

There are trainee controllers all over the place- we have 2 in the tower at AZO. I tend to avoid that airport like the plague now, but when they are working the approach control- well it gets hairy. It is funny to hear the instructor jump in and fix the errors though. Granted, the student controllers are FAA employees, not WMU students...

It gets really interesting here at BVI when everyone's coming back from their block and there's planes in the pattern. When it gets really busy, the super will come on and everything's fast-paced and all the students both in the tower and in the planes just drop their jaws :smokin:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 12:24 
Pilot

Dennis wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
A good place to go is University of Alaska-Anchorage! :rolling: ...

If I could stay at your place I wouldn't have any problems going there... :mrgreen:

Hey, you never know...it could work out that way... 8)

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 08:33 

Quote:
It gets really interesting here at BVI when everyone's coming back from their block and there's planes in the pattern.

I don't know how many planes you guys have, but come check us out on a busy day, at about 45 past the hour. 50 planes, flying at different speeds (From Cirrus/Twins at 120-100 in the pattern, to 150's at 90, to the float plane at barely 80)- it gets ridiculous!

ASEL/AMEL/IFR

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 15:41 

You guys can do 50 in the pattern?? How big's the loop?

Or is there a holding pattern to sort everything out?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 06:52 
Pilot

detpilot wrote:
I don't know how many planes you guys have, but come check us out on a busy day, at about 45 past the hour. 50 planes, flying at different speeds (From Cirrus/Twins at 120-100 in the pattern, to 150's at 90, to the float plane at barely 80)- it gets ridiculous!

Tower loves it when our Seminole comes out to play :smokin: Blue line and gear down, and it's still having a hard time with spacing with Cessnas and Worriers in the pattern :wink:

"Cessna 984WU, number three following a Diamond on three-mile final."
"Seminole 191ND, right 360 for spacing."
"Warrior 262ND, turn right on Charlie, contact 121.8"
"Cessna 986BT, number four following a Seminole on extended left downwind."
"Skyhawk 529ER, can you take an immediate?"
"Diamond 395JA, make right traffic for runway 28, report midfield."

Luckily, the PC12, King Air, twin Cessnas, and God forbid the C123, don't join in the pattern fun with all this mayhem 8)

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 07:51 

Quote:
the PC12

The PC-12 would do fine, it's approach speed would be low since all single engine (normal category) airplanes have to stall at 61 knots or less.

Quote:

Heaven's no, LOL, not 50 in the pattern at one time... Usually about 15-20 coming in and 15-20 trying to leave all at the same time. The controllers only allow 3 planes to do patternwork at a time (remaining in the pattern), but there are usually at least 2-3 other planes in the pattern either departing or making a full stop landing, coupled with a couple inbound on instrument approaches. Then considering that we have the C-21's (A-10's were replaced), and Duncan Aviation's main corporate jet maint. base, it gets pretty hectic.

We do utilize custom "gates" to sequence our planes before they enter the class D.

ASEL/AMEL/IFR

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 16:02 

detpilot wrote:
Quote:

Heaven's no, LOL, not 50 in the pattern at one time... Usually about 15-20 coming in and 15-20 trying to leave all at the same time. The controllers only allow 3 planes to do patternwork at a time (remaining in the pattern), but there are usually at least 2-3 other planes in the pattern either departing or making a full stop landing, coupled with a couple inbound on instrument approaches. Then considering that we have the C-21's (A-10's were replaced), and Duncan Aviation's main corporate jet maint. base, it gets pretty hectic.

We do utilize custom "gates" to sequence our planes before they enter the class D.

:laugh: Yeah I was a bit scared. Wasn't sure how that was at all possible. But yup, that sounds crazy still. Must be interesting filtering through those gates...I'm only used to huge ones that cover 10-30 miles around the DC SFRA.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 22:10 
Pilot

Here in Canada, training is surprisling cheap. $1000 for 4-6 months of training for FSS, $2500 for 4-6 months for tower controller, and $3500 for 7-14 months training for enroute controller. All have on-the-job training afterwards. Not sure what it's like in the USA

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 09:37 
Pilot

In the US the goverment is so desperate they are willing to pay for the training for the right candidates