Some ActiveSky 6 questions...

For all non-SimAirline.net FS flying and add-on recommendations.

Moderator: Moderating Team

8wt1
Pilot

Some ActiveSky 6 questions...

Post by 8wt1 » 19 Jun 2007, 18:20

HI guys!

I just bought AS6 and it looks great but it seems a bit advanced...

I like to fly with real world weather, should I set everything to wx generated in the AS graphics menu??

Also, I wonder how to get AS6 to work properly...Should I just start it up and let everything load and then hide it and start up FS9???

This was probably a bit messy, but could someone tell me how to get the MOST out of ActiveSky 6 when flying with real weather??? (Simple tutorial)

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 19 Jun 2007, 21:42

When you have AS set to download the weather, pretty much all you have to do is start it up and let it go. I can't remember if you have to change the settings in FS or not, but I just start AS, let it run through it's update process, then start FS and I'm good to go.

There is a documentation file for AS6, but it is tucked away and takes some digging to find it. When I get home, I'll try to remember to locate it to tell you where it is. That file will tell you what each and every option in AS6 does. I only changed two or three of them and left the rest as they were.

8wt1
Pilot

Post by 8wt1 » 19 Jun 2007, 22:11

Roger that! Thanks! Well I think it works fine now..I just load up AS6 and the start up FS...

BUT: Using real weather from FS before I had AS provided some great turbulence! Now with ActiveSky, I very seldom encounter any turbulence...and I want it back!!

Any suggestions::??

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 19 Jun 2007, 22:43

Fly between Korea and Japan. If it's anything like real life, you'd be having a good bounce! :P

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 20 Jun 2007, 01:36

8wt1 wrote:Roger that! Thanks! Well I think it works fine now..I just load up AS6 and the start up FS...

BUT: Using real weather from FS before I had AS provided some great turbulence! Now with ActiveSky, I very seldom encounter any turbulence...and I want it back!!

Any suggestions::??
That wasn't turbulence that was the wind suddenly changing direction.

AS does have some pretty rough air and even crazy bumps if you turn on wake turbulence. I flew MSP-MYR this afternoon on NWA and the weather in MYR was really stormy, ActiveSky simulated this perfectly with some very bumpy air.
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

8wt1
Pilot

Post by 8wt1 » 20 Jun 2007, 02:19

Ok I'll be sure to turn on Wake turbulence...But I know what it's like when I get a sudden wind change, but that isn't it...I always got wake turbulence (little frequent bumps) when flying with FS9 real weather..

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 20 Jun 2007, 02:35

Wake turbulence occurs when you fly through the disturbed air left behind the aircraft in front of you (like the wake on a boat). This can vary in intensity depending on how far you are behind the other aircraft (the farther the distance, the more the wake turbulence can dissipate before you reach it), if you are above or below the aircraft ahead of you (wake turbulence tends to sink), the size difference between the two aircraft (a Cessna 172 would be in BIG trouble if it flew through the wake turbulence of a 737, whereas a 747 would have no trouble at all if it flew through the same wake turbulence), and the weather (a light quartering tailwind is the worst wind to have with wake turbulence since it will keep the turbulence right over the runway.

FS has (to my knowledge) never been able to model wake turbulence, but AS6 can, and does. I've heard stories of people losing control of their aircraft when flying too closely behind another aircraft while using AS6. If you want regular turbulence during your flight, I would suggest taking a turboprop from Denver to Salt Lake City (or vice versa) during the late afternoon/early evening real time. You'll have a LOT of turbulence over the rockies between 16,000 and FL250.

8wt1
Pilot

Post by 8wt1 » 20 Jun 2007, 02:45

Thanks for the advice guys! Well, I think I got proof of ActiveSky working as it should...Flew into some heavy thunderstorms on app into EGLL this evening, with turbulence, rain, thunder, lightning, low visibility and crasy big TCU's!!!

Ahhh Love it!!!

Glenn H
Pilot

Post by Glenn H » 20 Jun 2007, 10:25

Please see this post on realistic settings for AS6.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... 430&page=1

Hope this helps

Glenn

8wt1
Pilot

Post by 8wt1 » 21 Jun 2007, 00:17

Thx a lot:)