Becoming an airline pilot

Talk about flying in the real world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Eagle737
Pilot

Re: Becoming an airline pilot

Post by Eagle737 » 31 Jan 2008, 17:23

Guys... there are just as many ways to get to an airline job as there are drinks to order at starbucks.... The route you choose is just that... a route... it isn't necessarily better or worse than any other route... the goal is to find the path that works best for you and your situation.

For me... I had wanted to be an airline pilot since I was 4. I attended college and attained a bachelors degree from Louisiana Tech in Aviation Mgmt. During that same time (around my sophomore year) I finally completed my Private SEL and added on my MEL within a few weeks. I was literally missing my checkride for my PPL before starting college but 9/11 happened so I kinda had issues in my life that delayed me finishing. While in college I did find that the university couldn't produce the results I wanted as far as physical flying so that is why I switched to an Aviation Mgmt degree. I then took a "semester" break and leave of absence from work and attended ATP flight schools due to limited time to get ratings done. I finished as promised with the ratings I needed... Commercial SEL/MEL/IA, CFI/CFII/MEI. After college I instructed at a local FBO in the Dallas area for a while before returning to ATP to instruct. The following November I interviewed and was hired by a very large regional airline here in the US. I have been flying for them for about a year and 3 months now... and love every minute of it. The ERJ is one sweet bird to fly.

Either way keep dreaming, stay focused, and don't lose sight of your goals.

as far as my physical license progression it was:

Private - Single Engine Land
Private - Multi Engine Land (add-on)
Instrument (in the twin)
Commercial - Multi Engine land
MEI
CFII (in the twin)
Commercial - Single Engine Land (add-on)
CFI (single engine - addon)
EMB-145 SIC type

BTW, as the other flight instructor mentioned on here... the Airline Transport License is NOT required to become an airline pilot in the US for a regional carrier. You will obtain that rating when your seniority allows you to upgrade and you go through Upgrade training. Until then you are required to have a Commercial - Multi Engine / Instrument with a First Class medical (NOT a second class). In addition, just to cover all bases, when you are hired by an airline you are hired as a "PILOT" not a First Officer or Captain (usually). The only difference between the First Officer and the Captain is seniority with the airline. When your number can hold a Captain spot and they have spots available you are sent to Upgrade training. That's it.

simpilot459
Pilot

Post by simpilot459 » 01 Feb 2008, 02:51

Thanks, That gives me a little hope. I tried to take flight as a second major in addition to my Aero Engineering degree, but wasn't accepted (guess I'm not smart enough for flight, so I have to stick to rocket science :roll: ) Maybe I should go a tech school to get my ratings after I graduate and have the Engineering degree to boost my resume. I'll just have to convince my parents to let me do it, and get money...but If I can get my summer job year round after graduation or atleast within the same company, they'll pay for school. That's sounding like a good idea to me. for now, I'll stay on the track I'm on, and maybe build hours this summer flying to work once or twice a week.
Make the hard look easy, the easy look spectacular, and never attempt the impossible.

Jimmyp4
Pilot

Post by Jimmyp4 » 03 Feb 2008, 01:08

Actually, you need to be 18 to get a commercial license. 23 is for an ATP (Airline Transport pilot) which you only need to get as a captain. Most airlines have a minimum hiring age of 21.
Huh? Xjet has a FO who is only 19!
wannabe pilot. thanks to Nick Anderson for the great banner!

airborne
Pilot

Post by airborne » 03 Feb 2008, 01:19

Jimmyp4 wrote:
Actually, you need to be 18 to get a commercial license. 23 is for an ATP (Airline Transport pilot) which you only need to get as a captain. Most airlines have a minimum hiring age of 21.
:shock: Yikes

and simpilot, your lucky you get to fly to work.
^^Props to Mr. Anderson^^

detpilot

Post by detpilot » 03 Feb 2008, 02:08

I don't know if that's true or not, but that is why I used the term "most."

:wink:
**Professional Banner Courtesy of Nick Anderson**
FAA Certified Commercial Pilot/ Flight Instructor
ASEL/AMEL/IFR

Jimmyp4
Pilot

Post by Jimmyp4 » 03 Feb 2008, 02:15

I don't know if that's true or not, but that is why I used the term "most."
Thats what the FA told me when we flew back. A simple question "Is this an ERJ145-XR or what" turned into a 20 minute conversation.

airborne
Pilot

Post by airborne » 03 Feb 2008, 21:58

Well I talked to my cousin (Pilot for Continental) He told me to start ground school as a freshman. He also said to go up with an instructor to make sure you can do it without freaking out. He just got into Sacramento and is flying into Washington this afternoon so tomorrow he is going to tell me more.

Eagle737
Pilot

Post by Eagle737 » 05 Feb 2008, 18:16

I can tell you their are a lot of F/O's that are under 21 flying RJ's around... one of my best friends at my airline was hired just a couple months after turning 20. Age means little when flying for an airline.. they're trained the same, we all fly very similarly... it's really a non-event. The difference is most of these 18/19/20 y.o. guys do not have a college degree. So take that for what it is worth. You can make it to a regional on your HS diploma but most majors won't give you the time of day without your Bachelors. So if your dream is to fly for a regional airline at the same time as working on a degree online... then so be it... I for one would advocate getting your degree before getting into this career. It also gives you something to fall back on in case your airline goes belly up or furloughs.

airborne
Pilot

Post by airborne » 06 Feb 2008, 04:55

I would also like to add that you should not go to an aviation school or get an aviation degree in college. Airlines do not really care about this. Airlines care about things like commitment and just showing you are reiable. Also if something happens where you can't fly you have a lot better chance to get another career going.

Ace
Pilot

Post by Ace » 06 Feb 2008, 14:55

Is that why 1/4th of commercial pilots are Embry-Riddle graduates?
Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson
FAA Certified Commercial Pilot ASEL AMEL IFR

CaseyD
Pilot

Post by CaseyD » 06 Feb 2008, 18:55

I highly doubt that. Maybe Airline Transport Pilots...
^Special thanks to Dean Clay for the excellent banner.^

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 06 Feb 2008, 18:58

I want to get a degree in Aeronautical Engineering from Uni. I am unsure whether I want to go into the deisgn side of aviation or the piloting side.

Realistically, when is the latest that you should begin flying lessons if you want to become a pilot?

Ace
Pilot

Post by Ace » 06 Feb 2008, 19:30

CaseyD wrote:I highly doubt that. Maybe Airline Transport Pilots...
Sorry, I meant airline pilots, not every pilot with their commercial.
Banner courtesy of Nick Anderson
FAA Certified Commercial Pilot ASEL AMEL IFR

Delta320
Pilot

Post by Delta320 » 03 May 2009, 18:06

Sorry to bring up the topic again but I'm in the same situation as you. 15 and learning how to fly. Then looking at Aviation Colleges. Then regional then a major. Thanks for the info everyone :mrgreen:
Huge thanks to David Malinowski for this amazing banner!